EF510 transfered to Hiroshima?

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The Seikan Tunnel itself has been underutilized as it is compared to its initial projections, so the government has a history of over-promising here.

Very interesting. It seems that Seikan Tunnel being underutilized for nearly 30 years...

So, Shinkansen and freight, plus the overnight inspections that will be implemented for infrastructure maintenance will also mean there is no time in the regular schedule for the traffic that the EF-510-500s were built for.

EF510-500 locomotives are not equipped with ATC-L, so they're unable to entering Kaikyo Line (the line that passes through Seikan Tunnel). Only ED79, EH500 and EH800 that are capable to running over Kaikyo Line, as they're having ATC-L on-board the train (currently, EH800 are now operated with DS-ATC, as the ATC-L is completely abolished following the trial runs of H5 trains).

Most newer routes are not profitable without government aid, but if there was a promise to build a line, the local govrenments are trying to get it built. The lower top speeds on some new lines are part of a money saving effort after it was determined that they are not really worth the cost. To make the shinkansens loose less money, train operators are axing all long distance services and as a side effect most of the old cape gauge network. (first moving them to 3rd sector operators, then to replacement buses)

The problem is that most of the time the cheap long distance trains are replaced with underutilised shinkansens and full budget airplanes and highway buses. So its a double loss for the rail companies and since shinkansen can't stop everywhere, to most cities and smaller towns along the closed old routes that get skipped by the high speed network.

In this case, the shinkansen skips both Aomori and Hakodate, both busy transfer points before. (originally to the ferries, later between express trains) I except the number of tourists in both towns to drop to near zero in the near future.

ps: Let's not forget, that besides stopping the sleeper services, most limited express and local trains will be stopped and even whole routes completly dropped, which would mean at least two or more transfers will be needed between two local cities that had a direct rail connection since the tunnel was opened. In some cases part of the route is by local bus and sinkansen fares are much more expensive than a limited express ticket, so it might mean a new traffic for the ferries, this time carrying highway buses for the local population who can't afford the shinkansen.

Edited by kvp

How many of the Shinkansen lines are actually loss-making?  The only one I think of as losing money is the Joetsu.

I guess it's true that the new station in the Hakodate area is pretty far out of town, but Shin-Aomori isn't that bad.  It's interesting to look at the original Aomori station; their primary concern must have been the ferry terminal.

As for the EF510-500s, I still can't believe they bought 15 only to sell 13 on to JRF just a few years later.  Maybe it was just ahead of decisions (or the beginning of decisions) about cutting the sleeper services?  I wonder if JRF got a good deal :)

SuRoNeFu 25-501

As for the EF510-500s, I still can't believe they bought 15 only to sell 13 on to JRF just a few years later.  Maybe it was just ahead of decisions (or the beginning of decisions) about cutting the sleeper services?  I wonder if JRF got a good deal :)

IMHO, since EF510-500s are derived from EF510-0s, it is likely that they could save cost (when the locomotives are transferred to JR Freight) by only need to adjusting the performance to suit with hauling freight trains, and changing ATS equipments from ATS-P and ATS-PS to ATS-PF and ATS-SF (^^);

SuRoNeFu 25-501

So you mean they intentionally bought resellable locomotives to be sold a few years later to jrf? Actually this makes sense...

While this is from my own analysis, but I think this is true, because the basic specifications are relatively same between EF510-0 and EF510-500...

Oops, forgotten: EF510-500 that transferred to JR Freight not only have ATS-PF and ATS-SF being installed, but their ATS-PS equipments are not removed at all (making the ATS indicator label on the locomotive's side becomes 3: PF, SF and PS)  :read2:

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501