Digitrax Zephyr???

katoftw

Is it good/bad/ugly?

I read mixed reviews about it when googling info about it.

To me it seems to tick all the boxes.

I currently am using Kato track and will upgrade to DDC sometime in ther near future.  I know it is a simplistic controller.  But I'm not a hardcore modeller.  I need a controller that only controls trains.  Not points or signals etc.

I specially like the 2 jump ports as I can us the 2 Kato power pack I currently have for the kids to control their locos.

Hello Mr katoftw,

With regard to the Digitrax Zephyr, do you mean the DCS-51?  If so, the product is quite good and is far more complex than you might imagine.  Of course, it will do your required task of controlling trains, but it will also manage other aspects of your layout.

Yup I meant the DCS-51.  I can get it delivered to my door from a USA ebay seller for $230AUD.  Which is pretty cheap consider what some DCC units cost in comparison.

Edited by katoftw

I have the earlier DCS50.  They are very good as a starter set but good enough to cope with expansion later on.

You don't say if the $230 includes postage but you might try Lichfield Station, http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2450095&cat=13&page=1

I get most of my DCC stuff from them, or M.B.Klein, http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Digitrax-Zephyr-Xtra-Complete-DCC-Starter-System-w-p/dig-zepx.htm, though their postage is often a bit more.

$230 was door to door total cost.  So includes delivery.

Had a look on the Lichfield station website.  If the shipping estmate is correct, then should be about $210AUD shipped after USD->AUD conversion and paypal grabs their 3.4% extra.

Thanks for the link.

I dont see myself running any more than 3 trains at once due to the size of my layout/s.  But once sidings become more complex and bigger.  I can see regular DC failing to do what I need it to do.

Thanks again.

That price is not too bad then.  Litchfield Station is good on postage on smaller items, if I just want two or three decoders he sends them in a padded envelope with a couple of dollars postage.

You're right about the advantages of DCC, you can park an engine anywhere without having to isolate sections of track.

The Zephyr is a good DCC system (I have one), particularly if you are cost sensitive.  The new DCS-51 removes the big limit the old one had, of 10 trains at a time. But in practice, you're not too likely to run 10 trains anyway.

It does have its weak points:

- No adjustable voltage output: you're getting 14 V DCC, whether you run N, HO, or O.  That's probably fine for even Japanese N, as Kato's DC pack puts out 14 volts and Kato resells a version of the Zephyr (original, with the 10-train limit).

- Low programming track power: if you program sound-equipped trains, you may need to buy a power booster (I did, when I was doing HO)

- The user interface for programming decoders is a keypad, which was primitive a decade ago. There are much better systems today, but often at a significant cost.  If you add a computer and software for programming, that's not a problem (I use JMRI)

- No computer interface.  You can buy an adapter to connect Loconet to a computer, but they're not exactly cheap.

- Limited power (2-3A).  Unless you're running sound-equipped trains, this isn't going to be a problem.

The final problem, and it's a problem for most DCC packs really, is that it doesn't have any kind of load meter, so you have no way of telling if you're using 10% of its power, or nearly all of it.  You can buy meters for that (RRampMeter is the best, I think), but again that has a cost. And if you're only running a couple of trains, that's not going to be an issue anyway.  It's only as you grow into it, and add throttles and more trains, that you might start to think about that.

What the Zephyr is, is a basic, stripped-down, pack that provides the essentials a beginner needs, albeit with a worse user interface than I'd wish on a beginner.  And you may still not outgrow it in a decade. But if you have ambitious plans, you might want to shop around for something that will suit them better.

Guest Closed Account 1

My Zephyr allows up to 20 addresses. Got it for $175USD. Try places like Johns Hobbies in the USA.

I run trains with the iphone with it and with the PR3 usb adapter,JRMI, and my home wifi.

Honestly, you won't need more than the 3 amps unless you are using it for a club. Then investing in a 5amp or 8 amp starter set will be the way to go.

Edited by Webskipper
Guest Closed Account 1

FYI- You do need the JRMI program to update your Zephyr, and other DCC equipment.  :read2:

Last year's update made the Zephyr kill power when there was a short.

Never melted axles with a Zephyr.  :)  

I'm a fan of NCE. The powercab is a great starter set (you can set it to show amp draw ). If you need more power down the road you can add an SB 5 smart booster. The NCE USB adapter somewhere around $35-40. Very easy programming.

Dave