Pantographs? We don't need no stinking pantographs.

tossedman

Spent some time in Whitehorse, Yukon in northern Canada this summer and rode the tourist tram. It's originally from Portugal, there was never a tram in Whitehorse before this one. It runs on a bit of the White Pass and Yukon Route narrow gauge track that is abandoned in Whitehorse. There are no overhead wires so it pulls a generator on the small car behind it. Kinda cool.

tram.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 2

Nice, how smart is that, pulling a generator to power the tram/trolly. I would expect Winter conditions to be rather harsh on overhead catenary lines, and I would not want to be the one re-stringing them in minus 40 cold!!

Thanks Todd>>!!

I don't think that tram will function at all in that cold, not to mention that it probably has no heater considering it's from Portugal...

Nice, how smart is that, pulling a generator to power the tram/trolly. I would expect Winter conditions to be rather harsh on overhead catenary lines, and I would not want to be the one re-stringing them in minus 40 cold!!

Thanks Todd>>!!

I believe it only runs in the summer.

That's right Bill, it only runs from May to October. There was no heat source that I could see, so not sure how many people would want to ride it during a Yukon winter.

Spent some time in Whitehorse, Yukon in northern Canada this summer and rode the tourist tram. It's originally from Portugal...

Those Portugese cars certainly get around. There are other examples preserved in the USA and UK, and I think Germany as well.

There are no overhead wires so it pulls a generator on the small car behind it.

Been there, done that! Back in 1979 our D class scrubber car 134s ran on Sydney's  Eastern Suburbs line before it opened for traffic, powered by a genset on an R class bogie, and again in 1985 on the Cronulla branch. Then in 1997 it ran on the new light rail line in the city, this time fitted with a pantograph. Fun times!

5576744700_f924c7121b_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johncowper/7668015388/in/photostream/

(That's me driving, BTW.  :) )

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
Those Portugese cars certainly get around. There are other examples preserved in the USA and UK, and I think Germany as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

And they are still running on five lines in Lisbon.

• Like 2