What's the name of the two small lines in Nagoya

bikkuri bahn

Grant, would that be a Meitetsu branch, or one of the third sector lines (diesel railcar)? There is also the 762mm gauge line down in Yokkaichi.

Thanks,

I decided to head back and take photos of the Meitetsu Line trains from Tokaido line stations. Will try it again another day. It's been a nice trip to go past Shizuoka Station.

Grant

bikkuri bahn

Happy travels.  I have one day left on my Seishun 18- I think I'll burn it on a 711 series journey Otaru-Asahikawa, but gotta do it before Sept. 10!

• Like 1

BikkuriBahn,

Sorry to reply so late. I got up at 3:30 yesterday, and rode from Omori to Nagoya and back by regular train save the Toyohashi to Nagoya portions, where I was able to catch the express. Standing up from before Shizuoka Station to Nagoya and back. I ended up riding in the rain rather than shooting much this time. Had a 50 minute bike ride back after that. Got back after 9:00. Hit the sack after getting back.

The Yokkaichi is one, the other one was connected or close to it. Would the other be the diesel rail car, or is it one of the Meitetsu branch lines?

I have two days left, but as my Saturday kids are going to Singapore and will miss the next two Saturdays. I'll use one to visit Aizu-Wakamatsu. I promised to shoot a video of the SL when it visits Aizu-Wakamatsu for the boy, and the girl, who isn't really into trains, expressed interest in a video of the EH500 Kintaro. I'll do that at various spots but will also shoot it at Kuroiso Station, where the diesels make a change over. Of course, Shinkansens roaring by are always popular. The ones passing above Kuroiso really make a loud rumble, better than the ones going South. Since there is no station there, I'll shoot them at Koriyama Station where they still pass with a loud rumble.

I'll probably use a Friday to shoot the freight traffic on the Tokaido Line somewhere past Atami.

But recently, I often never know where I will go until after I step on the train.

Take care.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Nice descriptions of your travels there.  3:30am start time(!)- making good use of each day on your seishun 18 I see:) I barely can manage gettting up earlier than 7am even when the wondrous trains beckon...

Let me know how your freight train chasing goes on past Atami- I tried doing it once (at Kannami) but unfortunately I didn't see any freights- it must have been the time.  I wanna do the freight lead at Hiratsuka one of these days- there is a DE10 that does shunting there.

*one more thing- have you ever tried shooting the M250 Super Rail Cargo train that arrives in the wee hours in Tokyo?  Apparently you can get a good angle at Hatcho Nawate Station only during the summer months when the sun is out early enough.  Problem is, from Yokohama, the earliest Keihin Tohoku Line train doesn't get me in the area early enough to catch it.  I figure with a bicycle it's doable. Maybe I should just buy a mama chari for 9000 yen and cycle it from Kanagawa Ward.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Bikkuri Bahn, I saw maybe about five or six freight trains going the other way as I was going towards Nagoya, even though it was on a Sunday. I saw two or three coming back in the afternoon.  

I wasn't aware of being able to shoot the M250 running, but have taken pictures of it a few times when it is parked near the Tokyo Freight Terminal. (near Oi Machi.)

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Here are some photos taken from the overpass that cuts over the facility.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

With the M250, there is a curve on the approach to the Hatcho Nawate Sta. upper level platforms that has the sunlight at your back around 5am, it's supposedly one of the few places you can actually see the train running when it's not dark.  According to Rail Magazine, you need a 250~300mm lens to get a decent shot (should be no problem with a D90 and a super zoom).

Had some problems trying to add some extra comments after I had attached the photos.

BikkuriBahn, if it comes up from the South, have you tried shooting it as it passes through Yokohama Station? i've shot freight trains running through Shinjuku Station at 4:30 in the Winter using the station lighting for illumination, with mixed success. You have to raise the ISO.

Best wishes,

Grant

BikkuriBahn,

I looked up Yokkaichi Station and that doesn't seem to be one of the two short lines that mentioned on a thread here about lines being discontinued. But the 762mm gauge rail part does sound like it. Do you remember the name of the line?

I tried to find it here by looking at older threads and by looking on a map of rail lines in Nagoya and using Google Maps, but no joy.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn
Do you remember the name of the line?

The Utsube and Hachioji Lines.

BikkuriBahn, if it comes up from the South, have you tried shooting it as it passes through Yokohama Station?

Like all the other Tokaido Line freights, it avoids Yokohama Station by taking the largely in tunnel Tokaido Line Freight Line bypass from around Higashi Totsuka all the way to Tsurumi (Namamugi area, IIRC), where it emerges from underground.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Andrew, thank you for the information about the two lines. Perhaps another trip to Nagoya within the next two weeks might be in order. Might as well use the JR Central access on the Seshun 18 ticket. 

Sorry that the Yokohama info didn't pan out. Do you know when the MC250 passes Hatchonawate Station? I guess it comes up from the South. I don't see it at the Freight Facility very often, so is it an infrequent visitor?

I might be able to cycle to Hatchonawate Station in about an hour and forty minutes. Rather than cycling there, a better thing might be to find an all night diner near Kawasaki Station, get there late at night, stay the night and walk to Hatchonawate in the morning. If you want to do that and need company, I can come along.

I had a little problem googling Hatcho Nawate Station and after playing around with the name, got an English version with Hatchonawate. So I used this spelling for anyone looking to find out a little more. 

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

Thanks, yes, that would be a nice project (all night diner sounds good- railfan discussion fueled by coffee!).  I have the schedule at home for the Super Rail Cargo.  But as I mentioned before, it has to be in the late spring to summer months, as otherwise the train passes in the dark. After shooting that train, and some other container trains which transit through 5~6am, you can then use the remainder of the day out on a seishun 18 voyage (say 7am onwards).  Talk about a hard-core day of riding the donko :sleepy5:

Bikkuri Bahn, I saw maybe about five or six freight trains going the other way as I was going towards Nagoya, even though it was on a Sunday. I saw two or three coming back in the afternoon.  

I wasn't aware of being able to shoot the M250 running, but have taken pictures of it a few times when it is parked near the Tokyo Freight Terminal. (near Oi Machi.)

DSC_0007.jpg

Here are some photos taken from the overpass that cuts over the facility.

Best wishes,

Grant

So funny to see the m250 w/o its containers. I'm so use to it on the model running it with all the containers on it as i dont think it normally runs w/o the containers, just when at each end!

cheers

jeff