Kanazawa to Takayama

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

It seems that my trip to Japan is back on track. Mother relented and we just spent the last half-hour making a draft itinerary. However we came to a cropper on one point...she wants to visit both Takayama and Kanazawa, however seeing both at the same time would require a certain amount of backtracking through Toyama, something we would like to avoid. The only direct way to travel between the two towns seems to be by road, so, by any chance is there a bus service connecting both towns?

Cheers NB

TestudoToTetsudo

I'm not aware of any Kanazawa to Takayama bus, but Google's drive time is 1 hour, 48 minutes, with no traffic and no intermediate stops even if a bus runs between the two.

The rail route through Toyama, is not that much longer, between 2 and 2.5 hours, if you do the trip on limited expresses.

Hi Nick!

Takayama is a great choice! I was there last year and the serenity of the place really leaves good memories... 

Anyhow, here is a website with the bus services and timing with cost of the ticket which you might find useful for your trip:

http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html

Along the way, there is Shirakawago which is famous for it's steep roof houses, which looked perfect in winter! Perhaps a short stop while there? 

Here's another, highlighting the entire day course trip which you can take, which takes about 9hours 20 mins, which will leave you at Takayama:

http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/eng/guide/images/model_course.pdf

Hoped that helps!

• Like 1

JR500 and others,

Thanks for the information. Soon after I posted this message I found the Nouhi Bus site and the schedules of the Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa bus. However the Kanazawa Tourism brochure was a bonus.

Cheers NB