Out and back loop using Unitrack

Mauka

Aloha JNS,

I spotted this diagram of a out and back loop and double crossover on the back of a Kato Unitrack box. Question - has Kato automated this type of advanced trackwork using conventional (not DCC) wiring? Or would the method still require islolating sections of track and being quick on the current reversing switch as the train returned in the opposite direction?

After looking a bit longer I realized the loop is one track, which makes this a simple loop. But does Kato do anything special at the crossover to prevent the train from hitting a reverse current?

DblCrossRtnLoopcrop.jpg

Edited by Mauka

You say elsewhere you are ordering Shinkansen trains.  R249/216 is much too tight a radius for those trains. Minimum radius for the E6 is R282. and I'm not sure about the N700A, it might be R315.  But even the minimum may not look right, giving you a toy train effect with car ends swinging way out.

Edited by bill937ca

Aloha - thanks for the replies.

bill937ca - as my layout planning advances I'm leaning towards running the Shinkansen on a upper viaduct level with city trains and trams on the ground level, which is where the out and back loop would be. My last O gauge layout had an out and back and I liked it, every "loop" had the train running in a different direction. Another way to do it would be to use a polarity reversing mechanism.

The Lionel turnouts I used had a auto sensor and would move the points if the train was coming from the wrong direction - no reailments!

sedril - I was wondering that myself!

Alan

Edited by Mauka

maybe there is an insulated uni joiner in there? but then you would need many power cables etc

but yeah it looks more like a dcc layout