Interesting (cavalier?) driving technique

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Observed a few days ago on the Sakaisuji Line in Osaka- while looking out the front of a Hankyu 5300 series (used on run-through services), I noticed the driver was using an unusual driving technique, namely, braking in the usual manner to full stop, but upon stopping, leaving the brakes off, and upon starting, engaging the throttle/regulator without touching the brake handle.  The 5300 series has the standard old style arrangement of regulator on the left, brake handle on the right.  Normally, a driver always has his/her hand on the brake handle, and leaves the brakes engaged when stopped at a station. Upon starting, the brakes are released (handle fully to the left), and regulator applied. Anyway, never saw this before.

That doesn't sound right, but I see it happen here on some lines as well (IIRC Odakyū 1000 and 2000 Types)... Maybe there is a footbrake or automatic brake when the doors are opened -the latter sounding more reasonable.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Hello Mr Bikkuri,

Please allow me to explain what you saw with Hankyu 5300系. 

5300系 has a traditional style control layout, but it is not old style.  I mean, the technology is substantially more than simple throttle and vacuum brake.

5300系 is equipped with dynamic braking.  It is a feature that uses the electric DC motor to act as a brake when power is not being supplied to the motor.  The system is similar to regenerative braking except, in this case, the power generated is retarded by a large capacity resistor in the circuit.  This creates an opposing force on the motor which slows the train.  When the train stops this circuit remains engaged.  Thus, if the train moves, more brake force is applied.

5300系 is also equipped with electrical command brake.  This means that the control system is electrical, giving the driver precise control over braking.  Once stopped, the brake is released because the dynamic brake remains active until the driver engages the throttle.  When the throttle is engaged, relays disengage the resistor from the circuit and apply power.

Also, today I just learned that at least some of the 5850系 cars are equipped with regenerative braking.  Car 5863 is equipped.  This was experimental with several cars per year being equipped for evaluation.

So sorry, I am not expert on this technology, but I believe they are widely used these days.  I think 5300系 was built in 1972 to 1975.  It was innovative technology of the day in Japan.

• Like 2
bronzeonion

In the UK on modern MU trains, the driver does not have to manually apply the brakes when holding the train at a station. The brakes automatically apply when the doors are opened and control given back to the driver once the doors are closed. It is a fairly simple set up, it wouldn't surprise me if Japanese trains have this.

Also, if a train driver was operating the train in an inappropriate manner my guess is he would eventually be spotted by a railfan or other staff and reported to JR.  It is not uncommon in Japan.

Mudkip Orange

I wouldn't narc on a driver, but if he was doing 120 in a 70 zone I'd be looking to brace myself before we all go flying into the nearest apartment building.

the nearest apartment building.

I was there (and not too far from Amagasaki) when that happened.  In front-view videos of the line, you can still see the building, it gives me chills.  It appears to be empty.  There was a lot of news about it for a while, but once the scene was cleared it seemed to drop out of the headlines.  There were some reports about closely and distantly related things; JRW's discipline system, a station added into a rapid service without the times of before and after stations being changed, verbal (or maybe physical) abuse of JRW train crews, a few JR Kyushu employees who had committed suicide because they couldn't handle the stress of the job.  All kinds of stuff, but not a lot of detailed reporting on it.  Of course that driver died in the accident, so there was no trial and none of the attention that would have come with it.  I wonder if any changes were made.

A couple of articles on Amagasaki, one from the New York Times and one from Japan Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/27/world/asia/27iht-japan.html?_r=1&

http://info.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20050526f2.html

And an article where JR West admits mistakes were made.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2007/08/06/news/jr-west-admits-fatal-crash-could-have-been-avoided/#.UgeevZKTipc

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
In the UK on modern MU trains, the driver does not have to manually apply the brakes when holding the train at a station. The brakes automatically apply when the doors are opened and control given back to the driver once the doors are closed. It is a fairly simple set up, it wouldn't surprise me if Japanese trains have this.

Queensland Rail's 160 and 260 class units use regenerative brakes in normal operation but when you release the doors while stopped the airbrakes apply to ensure holding the train stopped while the doors are open, however it we keep the brake controller in initial position because as soon as the doors are closed the air brakes will release and cause the train to roll back if you are stopped on a grade.