Very narrow curve at Hankyu Tsukagachi station the Itami line

Densha

Nick_Burman

Very good track...not a squeal or groan...

Cheers NB

Finally !!!

A piece of track that we can model prototypically !!!

:)

My thought exactly, looks like most of our model curves!

Jeff

Very good track...not a squeal or groan...

Cheers NB

I was wondering about this.  Since these axles do not have differentials, one wheel or the other must slip on the track.  I'd expect this to make some kind of unpleasant noise :grin

Finally !!!

A piece of track that we can model prototypically !!!

:)

Exactly why I posted it! :)

Maybe they have a system that prevents the noise (I don't know how to call it in English), the local tram line over here also has a curve where they installed a system to prevent noise and it works!

In this video it does make some noise however (but not much):

there is a device that greasy rails

Aaah, that could be the answer! I've also seen a lot of trains in consist rosters that have greasing equipment as well. I thought it was strange, but now it makes sense!

This is a Dutch device that does the same: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388157@N07/9114837876/

But look at that name! "Spoorstaafconditioneringssysteem". 0_0 It means something like rail conservation system but it's really a looong name. We got one of those at a very narrow curve in the tram line over here too, according to the Dutch comment below it does indeed make the rails a bit greasy.

This kind of devices are used on tram's lines to reduce noise and is used on the lines with many curves to reduce the temperature ed wear of wheels.

OT as in German, Dutch chains the words.

Nick_Burman

There is a bit of squeal in the second video, but nothing in the scale of Stillwell Avenue (Coney Island) on the NYCTA before it was rebuilt...trains leaving on the north side of the station would give a show worthy of an opera diva... :grin

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman

They're known in English as "flange lubricators". There's two types, track-mounted or vehicle-mounted. I wonder what type Hankyu uses? 

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

Mark, I was on the Senri and Takarazuka Lines today, and the flange lubricators are track mounted.  There are oil pots/reservoirs buried in the roadbed, with tubing connecting them with the track mounted applicators.  Btw, the Senri Line is very interesting, some 3.5% grades on the lower portions of the line, and many curves that have to be taken at 35km/h or so.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2
Mark, I was on the Senri and Takarazuka Lines today, and the flange lubricators are track mounted.  There are oil pots/reservoirs buried in the roadbed, with tubing connecting them with the track mounted applicators.  Btw, the Senri Line is very interesting, some 3.5% grades on the lower portions of the line, and many curves that have to be taken at 35km/h or so.

Sweet. Thanks for the thorough on-the-spot analysis. ;)

Mudkip Orange

The greasers in Philly's Market-Frankford line actually spritz a little bit on in advance of every single train approach. You can catch 'em in action if you get a seat in the front.

Portland has a fairly nasty 180-degree turn on the MAX line at Sunset Transit Center, but being politically correct souls they use plain water instead of grease. More eco-friendly or something.

What a great thread! Thanks for posting the videos. I'm thinking about putting a small tram track on my layout with a reversing circuit in a builtnup,area. Tight turns would be the order of the day.

Dave