Resort Shirakami and Tsugaru Railroad in November?

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

So I'm doing some very advance "what if" planning for my next trip to Japan, which is not booked or firm yet but right now targeting for November 2014.

I'm thinking of a 2-3 day trip as part of this venture to involve Hayabusa GranClass Tokyo to Shin-Aomori, a ride on the Tsugaru Railroad to Kanagi and back, a ride on the Resort Shirakami along the water, and a return to Tokyo on the Akita Shinkansen for my first ride on a mini-Shinkansen route.  (In case you're wondering why the turnback at Kanagi intead of Nakasato: this is also a family trip not just a railfan trip, and my grandfather moved my Dad's family to Kanagi from Tokyo temporarily at the end of WWII to escape US air raids).

How is that part of Honshu in early November?  Hyperdia says the Resort Shirakami still runs that time of year, but how is the scenery?  Snow already?  And does the Tsugaru Railroad's train with the famous on-board stove run in November?

And I guess as a related question, if you have a JR Rail Pass (Ordinary) and want to go GranClass on the Hayabusa, do you just pay the Seat Fee (i.e. the upgrade to GranClass) or do you have to pay both the fare + seat fee?

Any info would be great.  Thanks!

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo
TestudoToTetsudo
Hmm, I thought I'd find some weather data on wikipedia, but no luck for that area's prefectures or cities.  Here's the weather for Aomori from last November: http://tenki.jp/past/pref-5.html?month=11&year=2012

and here's Akita: http://tenki.jp/past/pref-8.html?year=2012&month=11

Thanks for the weather info!  Looks like it'll be chilly but not below freezing in late October/early November.  Maybe bring the light jacket and sweater but no need for the heavy winter stuff (which will help with minimizing what I need to pack on the plane and lug through warmer parts of Japan!).

bikkuri bahn
And I guess as a related question, if you have a JR Rail Pass (Ordinary) and want to go GranClass on the Hayabusa, do you just pay the Seat Fee (i.e. the upgrade to GranClass) or do you have to pay both the fare + seat fee?

You have to pay the limited express surcharge and the GranClass surcharge.  The pass covers the base distance fare.

You have to pay the limited express surcharge and the GranClass surcharge.  The pass covers the base distance fare.

Hi Based on Hyperia:

Route1
Take time: 195 Minutes  Transfer: 0 Times  Distance: 713.7 km 

Total:¥ 26,360(Fare:¥ 9,870  Seat Fee:¥ 16,490)  Commuting ticket(1mon:¥ ---   3mon:¥ ---   6mon:¥ --- )

Time Route Fare Seat Fee Commuting ticket UsefulLink 1Month 3Month 6Month
06:32
icon_hatu_en.gifTOKYO

[ Departure track No.20 ]

Station timetable | Add to favorite icon_arrow01.gif        

[195 Min]
icon_line.gif
  • SHINKANSEN HAYABUSA 1
Train timetable | Interval timetable
¥9,870
Gran Class: ¥16,490Green seat: ¥11,490Reserved seat: ¥7,000        
09:47
icon_chaku_en.gifSHIN-AOMORI

[ Arrival track No.12 ]

Add to favorite icon_arrow02.gif        

•  
It's stated the base fare is 9870yen, and the seat fee is 16,490yen for the Gran Class. I can't be very sure what is included via the JR Pass, but as bikkuri bahn has highlighted, the JR Pass does not cover Nozomi, Mizuho, Hayabusa and Night sleeper train services, and you have to pay a surcharge for using them. Also, the Normal class covers only the normal cars seating fees, you have to pay a surcharge to use the Green cars (First Class) and the Gran Class. I can't really understand Hyperia well enough to know how much you would need to pay, but i believe it is written in there, just my limited knowledge is unable to get more information out of it.

Could i suggest Hayate service instead? Though i would love to ride in the E5, the Hayate E2 is phrasing out really soon and it's really worth taking it before it's gone. Last year when i was there the E5 were only dedicated to Hayabusa services, hence i only took the E2s. Now i understand the E5 also services the Hayate service so it really doesn't make much difference between Hayabusa and Hayate, just lesser time and lesser stops, and no Gran Class if i'm not wrong... I would go for the Hayate in E5 to do away with the additional fees and hassle, but that's just me.. ~   

I was up that way in November 1996 and had a short ride on the Tsugaru Railway's stove train. One thing to bear in mind with your scheduling around that time of year is that the hours of daylight are shorter.

bikkuri bahn
One thing to bear in mind with your scheduling around that time of year is that the hours of daylight are shorter.

Good point.  One reason I far prefer to railfan in the summer months, despite the heat.  It also makes me wish daylight savings was observed here, as it would give me another hour of light for photography (I tend to do marathon nonstop 12 hour sessions of train riding/railfanning, but the last two hours are typically with the camera in the bag).

Edited by bikkuri bahn
TestudoToTetsudo

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I don't have a plan yet but vaguely I'm thinking of something like:

Day 1: Sightsee around Tokyo, then take an afternoon/evening Akita Shinkansen Tokyo-Akita, spend night in Akita

Day 2: Resort Shirakami Akita-Juniko, bus to Juniko Lakes and walk around, back on Resort Shirakami Juniko-Hirosaki, night in Hirosaki

Day 3: Local trains Hirosaki-Goshogawara-Kanagi, walk around/lunch in Kanagi, local trains Kanagi-Goshogawara-Kawabe-Shin-Aomori, Hayabusa GranClass Shin-Aomori back to Tokyo.

TestudoToTetsudo

So I now have a related question (I wonder if this should be a new thread or not).

Going north to Akita, I'm thinking of leaving Tokyo earlier in the day, riding the Yamagata Shinkansen to Shinjo, a combination of local trains and/or Shinkansen to Morioka, then the Akita Shinkansen to Akita.  My wife and parents will likely visit Ueno Zoo that morning, and meet me on the Akita Shinkansen or at Akita.

I know there are lots of beautiful, scenic JR rural lines in that part of northern Japan, so I'm trying to think of the best route to do the Shinjo-to-Morioka stretch. I guess I'm looking for scenery, but also utility - seeing how rural Japanese ride local trains.  Should I:

• Take the Rikuu East Line to Furukawa and then Shinkansen from there?
  • Take the Ou Honsen to Omagari, then go east to Morioka to backtrack west on the Akita Shinkansen?
  • Take the Ou Honsen to Yokote, then the Kitakami Line east to Kitakami, then catch the Shinkansen from there?
  • Any other routings I didn't think of?

As always, any info as to what you think is best and why would be great!

Thanks!

I did the Rikuu East line from Furukawa to Shinjo on the 4th December last year, it is a scenic rural line. A few of my photos are attached.

Another option would be the Rikuu West line to Amarume then the Uetsu Main Line north along the west coast to Akita, for example:

Shinjo      1317

Amarume 1402

"        1434  Ltd Exp Inaho #5

Akita         1610

There is another departure about an hour later using local trains on the Uetsu Line instead of the Inaho Ltd Exp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inahopost-182-0-22722400-1375189849_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-74766500-1375189852_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-73121600-1375189856_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-27518300-1375189861_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-76235800-1375189864_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-17039700-1375189868_thumb.jpg

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 2
TestudoToTetsudo

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="westfalen" data-cid="85360" data-time="1375189805"><p>

I did the Rikuu East line from Furukawa to Shinjo on the 4th December last year, it is a scenic rural line. A few of my photos are attached.<br />

<br />

Another option would be the Rikuu West line to Amarume then the Uetsu Main Line north along the west coast to Akita, for example:<br />

Shinjo 1317<br />

Amarume 1402<br />

" 1434 Ltd Exp Inaho #5<br />

Akita 1610<br />

<br />

There is another departure about an hour later using local trains on the Uetsu Line instead of the Inaho Ltd Exp. <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inaho'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inaho</a> DSC02619_resize.JPG DSC02626_resize.JPG DSC02630_resize.JPG DSC02637_resize.JPG DSC02660_resize.JPG <a href='http://www.jnsforum.com/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=9541'>DSC02665_resize.JPG</a></p></blockquote>

Thanks for the quick reply Westfalen! The Rikuu Line looks amazing!

TestudoToTetsudo

Another thought: I also could backtrack on the Yamagata Shinkansen to Yamagata, cut across on the Senzan Line to Sendai and grab the Akita Shinkansen there.  Any thoughts on the Senzan Line vs. the Rikuu East, Kitakami or northern stretches of the Ou Line?

I did the Senzan Line back in 1996 on a day trip from Tokyo up the Joban Line, a trip on the Aterazawa Line and back via the Yamagata Shinkansen. I don't think the Senzan Line is as scenic as the Rikuu East and is electrified rather than diesel railcars. It does have one oddity, a long tunnel at the summit of the line with a passing siding in the middle.

TestudoToTetsudo

Thanks again for your expert advice Westfalen, if I get to do this on my next trip I'll try and ride the Rikuu Line!

TestudoToTetsudo

Actually, how would the Rikuu West line stack up in conjunction with the SOUTHERN end of the Inaho?

I may make a run for riding 100% of the Shinkansen network and may find it worthwhile to take an early morning Toki to Niigata, the Inaho to Amarume, Rikuu West Line to Shinjo, Yamagata Shinkansen to Fukushima, Yamabiko to Sendai and Komachi to Akita.

Are the southern leg of the Inaho and Rikuu West Line scenic? And Wikipedia tells me the Fresh Hitachi's E653 series trains will be on the Inaho next year, with the rear car unreserved. Wonder what my odds are of getting a rear view window seat getting on in Niigata...

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo
TestudoToTetsudo

Had some time to look into Hyperdia, and wonder how this would all stack up for the trip north:

06:14 Depart Ueno for Niigata on Toki 301

08:12 Arrive Niigata

08:26 Depart Ueno for Amarume on Inaho 1

10:30 Arrive Amarume

Walk around Amarume and see what a little out of the way town is like.

12:03 Depart Amarume for Shinjo on the Rikuu West Line

12:49 Arrive Shinjo

13:18 Depart Shinjo for Fukushima on Tsubasa 144

15:21 Arrive Fukushima

Watch and photograph the coupling/uncoupling of Shinkansen

16:24 Depart Fukushima for Sendai on Yamabiko 211

16:45 Arrive Sendai

17:38 Depart Sendai for Akita on Komachi 41 (in darkness, I know).

19:57 Arrive Akita

Here I get to complete the Joetsu, Yamagata and Akita Shinkansen, get to sample a rural line with the Rikuu West Line, get to watch and photograph the coupling/uncoupling of mini-Shinkansen.  Lots in one day!

I realize there are some major timetable revisions coming, specifically with the conversion of more Komachi to faster E6/Super Komachi trainsets, so the actual schedules in a year or two will be different, but if I can make it work out on paper now, I should be able to make it work out then.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sounds good, gets in all the Shinkansen and a bit of rural Japan.

Watch out for the local cop in Amarume if he's still there, in 1998 he came onto the station and asked to see our passports, the only time in eleven trips that's happened to me. It must have been a slow day in law enforcement in Amarume. :)

• Like 1
Had some time to look into Hyperdia, and wonder how this would all stack up for the trip north:

Thanks for everyone's help!

Nice plan! Nice bit of everything from express trains, to local trains to shinkansens! Would be lovely to see some pictures, especially the shinkansen coupling ones! I'm thinking you would be able to catch the E3 Komachi set before it goes scrapping? It's one of my favourite shinkansens~~

Watch out for the local cop in Amarume if he's still there, in 1998 he came onto the station and asked to see our passports, the only time in eleven trips that's happened to me. It must have been a slow day in law enforcement in Amarume. :)

I'm thinking the cop must be feeling anxious and excited to see foreigners in that rural part of Japan perhaps? But that really is quite rare to have a cop stop you to check your passports. 

• Like 1
TestudoToTetsudo

Thanks for all your advice Westfalen and thanks for your input JR500 Nozomi!

I'm thinking after that itinerary for Day 1 (overnight in Akita), Day 2 will be riding the Resort Shirakami, hiking around Juniko and then staying at an onsen for Night 2, and Day 3 would be Resort Shirakami to Goshogawara, Tsugaru Railroad to Kanagi, return to Shin-Aomori and Hayabusa GranClass back to Tokyo.