H0 EF510... Kato or Tomix?

Matteo_IT

Hello,

I have a question: I want to purchase the EF510 in H0 scale to add to my Cassiopeia.

Now the questio is simple...

what is the best? Kato or Tomix? also Tomix produces two versions (standard and deluxe) but searching in this forum I found deluxe has only metal parts instead plastic, but price is double so I think it doesn't worth...

Have you some suggestions?

Have a nice day!

Davo Dentetsu

I'm biased towards the Kato version because of price alone!  It does the job very nicely I have to say, can't say I know anything about the Tomix one though.

Martijn Meerts

The newer Kato releases have the new drive mechanic that basically uses an N-scale motor mounted directly on the bogie, and in this case it has 2 of such motors. If you want to install a sound decoder you might have more room for a decent speaker in the Kato version.

Metal detail parts usually means etched or laser cut brass, which is often much more detailed than plastic, so it makes sense the deluxe version of the Tomix EF510 is more expensive.

I don't have either of these locomotives, but I do believe someone on the forum has the Kato, and he's very happy with it. Seems to run smooth and has plenty pulling power even with the relatively small motors.

Yep, I have the Kato Custom Shop sound HO EF510 and pulling power is great.

The shape looks correct, but many smaller details are missing, including antenna, whistle, windscreen wipers and other items.  Kato left them off to keep the costs down, but you can purchase the "grade-up parts" from Kato as an option and apply them yourself.

I don't have the Tomix EF510, but from what I have seen, all the items missing from the Kato model are included on the Tomix model.  This is reflected in the much higher price.  Also, for some reason, the shape/angle of the nose doesn't look quite right to me, but that may be due to not-so-great photos.

Many thanks everybody!

@ VJM: have you a link where purchase the "grade-up parts" from Kato? I've searched but I haven't found noting...

Davo Dentetsu

I should actually check out the pulling power of my own one to be honest.  7 Walthers heavyweights don't seem to trouble it too much... :S