ENOSHIMA Model Train Exhibition

Concept Model Trains

marknewton

Alpine, the Epping exhibition details can be found here:

http://www.eppingmodelrailway.org.au/epping%20exhibition08.htm

http://www.eppingmodelrailway.org.au/exhibitionlocation08.htm

serenityFan, yes, the long weekend is the 6-8th of June. Are you planning a visit? :)

(Incidentally, about your screen-name. Are you a follower of Capt. Mal and his crew?)

All the best,

Mark.

serenityFan

Yes, just so happens I will be in Sydney that weekend ... didn't realise the exhibition was on until I read it here.

I'm going with a couple of friends, but I'm sure I can getaway from them.  ;D 

At the moment I'm thinking of going to the exhibition on Sunday.

And go browncoats!  ;D

-Andy

marknewton

I have a request from Doug via email, he asks for any JNS members who go to Epping to please introduce themselves to him and make themselves known. I'll be looking forward to seeing you all there, so please contact me and we can arrange to meet up at the exhibition.

And go browncoats!

I thought so!  :D  I watch very little TV and see bugger all in the way of films, but I did enjoy Firefly and the movie spin-off very much.

Cheers,

Mark.

serenityFan

Looks like now I will be going to exhibition on the Saturday instead of Sunday ... no exact time though, cause I'm still trying to fit it into the schedule, however it should be sometimes before lunch or earlier ....

I thought so!  :D  I watch very little TV and see bugger all in the way of films, but I did enjoy Firefly and the movie spin-off very much.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yay, a fellow browncoat  ;D

On a side note, sometimes I am surprised by the number of people I meet who have actually seen firefly (after all this is a show that was cancelled because of lack of audience) ...

marknewton

what day will you be there Mark?

Saturday, if all goes well.

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton

Looks like now I will be going to exhibition on the Saturday instead of Sunday ... no exact time though, cause I'm still trying to fit it into the schedule, however it should be sometimes before lunch or earlier ....

Saturday is when I plan to go as well.

Yay, a fellow browncoat  ;D

On a side note, sometimes I am surprised by the number of people I meet who have actually seen firefly (after all this is a show that was cancelled because of lack of audience) ...

I never saw the show when it was on TV, I came across the DVDs at my local video emporium, thought they looked interesting, and they were cheap, as well!  ;D

As for shows being cancelled due to small audiences, that's a discussion for another time and place. But you can't help but notice that Australian TV networks will happily screen utter garbage in prime time, and yet anything halfways decent will be aired very late at night, or the timeslot will be regularly changed with no notice, or the show will be dropped halfway through it's run. Little wonder they are losing market share...

Cheers,

Mark.

Made it to the exhibition on Saturday. The Enoshima layout is truley stunning.

I model both NSW railways in HO and JR N scale but I spent most of my time watching the Enoshima runnings.

He had 500/700/N700 Shinkansens going plus Dr Yellow. His Dr Yellow seemed to cough like mine does so that was interesting, but it ran pretty well either way. I did not realise how long the layout is! :o

There was a Lima O Series HO scale Bullet for sale in the trade hall - that was the only other JR thing I saw in the exhibition.

Maybe next year we should enter a portable JR layout to compliment Enoshima?? ;)

Hey friends

Does any body have photo from this Exhibition  they whould like to share with us ??

domino

alpineaustralia

I also spent half my time at the exhibiton at Doug's layout. It is truly brilliant.

He was running two shinkansen (100 and 500), plus two suurban trains plus a tram.

He also has automatic speed indictaors which show the scale speed of trains on various tracks.

Because he is able to get the speed right, it even makes it look more realistic.

His layout is a work of art...even my wife was impressed (and that is saying something)!

marknewton
Does any body have photo from this Exhibition  they whould like to share with us ??

Although I was there all day Saturday, I didn't manage to get a single photo!  :-\  Most of the time I was running trains on my club layout, and the one time I had a break the crowd in front of Enoshima was so big you couldn't get close enough to take a decent photo... Oh, well, next time!

I do have some views of the layout from it's previous showing at Hurstville, though, if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton
Made it to the exhibition on Saturday. The Enoshima layout is truley stunning...There was a Lima O Series HO scale Bullet for sale in the trade hall - that was the only other JR thing I saw in the exhibition.

Mate, you weren't looking hard enough!  :D  There was a static O scale model of a C57 4-6-2 for $5, which I grabbed. There was also an HO scale Tenshodo C50 2-6-0, which had a $300 price tag. I won't deny that I was very tempted, but in the end I didn't get it - I don't want to be divorced.

All the best,

Mark.

Mark - thanks for posting the photos of Doug's layout, it is quite impressive. It also must be some under taking to transport it.

alpineaustralia

I personally think his layout is vastly improved from Hurstville Oct 2008. He reckons he also upgrade quite a bit and added a lot more people and curiosities (like a street parade complete with foodstalls and TV camera vans), people working in a field and a head buddist monk walking some junior monks around a temple. Absolutely fantastic!

Doug has a good sized trailer that he uses to haul his show layouts around.

cheers

jeff

disturbman

Thanks for the pix Jeff, Alpine you wouldn't happen to have some photos of this week-end exhibition?

marknewton

Mark - thanks for posting the photos of Doug's layout, it is quite impressive. It also must be some under taking to transport it.

My pleasure. He has a box trailer that he carts the thing around in, and he's helped by his good mate Ed. I think after many years exhibiting "Setagaya", they have it all down to a fine art.

There are many clubs and individuals here in Sydney with purpose-built exhibition layouts, the great majority of which travel in their own dedicated trailers. I'm currently looking for a suitable trailer myself.

Cheers,

Mark.

marknewton

I personally think his layout is vastly improved from Hurstville Oct 2008.

You're not wrong, Alpine. When I first saw it at Castle Hill, it was unfinished, at Hurstville it was 100% better, and Epping again shows improvement. I think the reason that Doug's layout are so popular is that he isn't afraid to substantially alter or expand them, so each time you see them they are effectively new layouts.

All the best,

Mark.

Doug - Welcome to the forum, you have a very impressive layout!

Why I asked this question about transporting a layout, is that in NYC, the day after Thanksgiving the this a huge Xmas train exhibition that fills the sub-level of the Co-Op Building in NYC. It comes in a moving van and the sections of the layout and in big cases with sliding shelves. They have it down to a science because in 24 hrs it's up and running. (They also have an army of people working to set up the display and they do it on Thanksgiving day) Here is one of their links:

http://www.dunhamstudios.com/cititour.htm

Who said I was Doug ?  :D

Elementary, my Dear Watson. You knew the answer to the question of "how does Doug transport his layout?" ;D

Again welcome to the forum, I look forward to you posts.