A restaurant at unusual railroad crossing location....

RocketNews24 just did an article on a restaurant in the Kyoto area that is not only of interest to railfans, but is famous for another reason:

http://tinyurl.com/m4w986v (English version)

http://rocketnews24.com/2013/06/28/345231/ (original Japanese version)

The restaurant, Benkei Shokudo, is located in a very narrow building right next to the Keihan Electric Railway's Tobakaido Station on one side and the JR West Nara Line tracks on the other side, as shown from one the pictures of the article:

ms-2.jpg?w=580&h=387

While it is of interest to railfans because of its unusual restaurant building placement, the article also mentions that the owners specifically cooked and delivered many meals to the development team that wrote one of the most famous Nintendo game console titles, the original Metroid. Because Nintendo's headquarters at the time (circa 1985-1986) was in an area that had almost no inexpensive restaurants nearby that could deliver food to the work premises, it was this very restaurant that came to Nintendo's rescue, made all the more amazing because it took several trips just to deliver a day's order of food.

I wouldn't be surprised that this place will soon get a lot of railfan and fans of the 1980's Nintendo game consoles visiting and eating there.

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

That katsudon set would put me out of service from sleepiness (and possibly indigestion) if I was one of those staffers.

Ooooohhhhh. Gdrabaubbbul, drool. Do I feel like Homer Simpson in front of a box od donuts! Or my dog watching me eat French fries...

That sukiyaki udon is to die for! I would wor 16 hrs a day if food like that kept coming in.

If only someplace around here got to this simple level!

Cheers

Jeff

Ps fun little building to model!

Edited by cteno4

Interesting!

The Katsu don looks oh so ~~~~

Won't the restaurant be very noisy, with the crossing 'ding dongs' and all? Especially sandwiched in between two crossings...

Interesting!

The Katsu don looks oh so ~~~~

Won't the restaurant be very noisy, with the crossing 'ding dongs' and all? Especially sandwiched in between two crossings...

I do agree that noise from the crossing signals and the trains crossing the road could be an issue at this restaurant--especially given the fact the restaurant building is literally sandwiched between the Keihan Main Line between Osaka and Kyoto and the JR West Nara Line between Kyoto and Nara. But maybe that's the charm of the place? :)