Motor for Tomix Doc Yellow

domino

Hey all

A friend of mine have the Tomix 7 car Doc Yellow set , but the motor is really bad , so we are thinking of replacing it, does anybody know witch motor goes into this set , and maybe where to buy it  ??

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

Are you sure the motor is really bad? have you pulled the trucks off and just tried running the motor? try any light oil on the motor bearings?

also check the trucks the gears can get gunked and really be hard to turn.

but it could be the brushes as well and those are hard to find for most motors out there.

my older dr yellow use to start to sound cranky after 3-4 shows of lots of running and usually cleaning the trucks and a good lube job got it purring again. actually my old one is currently in the "shop" pile to get this done to it again and probably sell off.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Brian,

Are you sure the motor is really bad? have you pulled the trucks off and just tried running the motor? try any light oil on the motor bearings?

also check the trucks the gears can get gunked and really be hard to turn.

but it could be the brushes as well and those are hard to find for most motors out there.

my older dr yellow use to start to sound cranky after 3-4 shows of lots of running and usually cleaning the trucks and a good lube job got it purring again. actually my old one is currently in the "shop" pile to get this done to it again and probably sell off.

jeff

Hey Jeff

Yes, we have oiled it and run it for many hours , but still very noisy and not smooth running , also pulled it apart  to try to see anything wrong but did not help.

Brian

Brian,

Bummer. Is it sort of a combo growl/squeal noise? The similar noise has come from quite a few tomix Shinkansen mechanisms.

Does the motor make the noise on its own?

Have you polled a truck apart? Some get full of gunk, from cat hair to fuzz to grit to dust and make funny noises.

Best of luck.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Hello Mr domino,

Please allow me to offer some advise.

Please remove the motor and run it separately.  If it is noisy I would be surprise. 

Often noise occur when drive shaft is not pushed into the sleeve firmly. 

Please check these things as your postage will exceed value of goods.

Hey

It is a squeal noise , like it is rusty or something, i will pull it apart once Again to make sure that i have checked all , will post update.

Brian

Brian

That does sound like the classic tomix Shinkansen noise. Ochanomizu's is a good thought sometimes the universal joints get pushed in on the motor axle. The drive shafts probably should have about 1mm or so of wiggle when straight. Also can't say clean trucks enough, you would be surprised at what I have pulled out of them. Some I was amazed they would run with the pile of crap packed into them.

Only tomix motor I've seen go bad was the old de15 with that spring worm drive train and that was because it got so gummed up it burned Aaron's motor out.

Best of luck!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Hey all

Problem solved , i pulled it apart once Again , and just tried to oil,push,pull,wiggle,blow ect everything and when I put it back together it ran great, go figure, so I actually don't know what it was, but thanks all for giving me the ideas of what to look for.

Brian

Brian,

hey great! good job.

yeah unless you try and systematically try one thing at a time (means a lot of tearing apart and risk of breaking something!) to figure out what it exactly is this is the usual solution for me. i generally just tear down, blow and clean out well. apply a little lubricant if it looks dry. adjust any parts that seem off (ie like the universal joint distance if the drive shaft seems loose). look the trucks over carefully for anything inside them and if i see anything pull them apart and clean out well and relube. 

95% of the time this gives a nice purring train back. the other 5% you end up having to really fiddle a lot but usually something just did not go back together right or upon a closer inspection you find a broken part.

cheers

jeff