Best looking trains

oooh yes love that 50s space looking style. so many fun things had it like the tobu and the cadillac. something about it is just right to be a timeless quality to the design. thats a true hallmark of a great design when its timeless as its speaking directly to the intuitive/subjective and that ends up transcending time and fads/styles. why folks like eames have things that are still big sellers 50 years or more. look how long the aeron chair lasted as a design icon compared to a eames chair. herman miller is still laughing all the way to the bank with the eames designs and i expect will be for another 50+ years!

Nice picture captures the design well, did you take it?

i like my model, but you are correct the design does not scale well. many things in design dont scale well or linearly and we usually look at our model trains from huge scale distances. paint and how it reacts to light is very different when scaled as well. details dont scale linearly as well and when smaller sometimes have to be monkeyed with in size, design, color, lighting etc to make them give the effect closer to the 1:1 version. but most models are attempted to be direct scale models and fiddling is not done much. kato worked hard on the new imperial train to try to get the paint just right at scale to match the prototype as close as possible at scale. 

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Keio, that's a lovely train :) I used to dislike the older JNR forms and colour schemes, but they've really grown on me. On a whim I bought a Kato 151 series, which has since turned into 1 of my favourite trains. I'm also getting more and more into the older locomotives, and much of the more modern stuff is starting to look a bit dull.. (I must be getting old ... :))

Although, the 800 series shinkansen is still my favorite train :)

Guest keio6000

I agree the 800 shinkansen is lovely.  JR Kyushu really has an eye for detail and many of their trains look great (885 kamome comes to mind) both internally and externally, and the JR Kyushu N700-8000 livery is very very sharp.  I have a design book put out by JR Kyushu or about JR Kyushu somewhere here that is very nice.. something that the more utilitarian, say, JR Central or the aesthetically challenged JR Hokkaido would never do :).

Thanks jeff for the good words - no, just a photo I found on the web.   I am happy that you like your MA version and I agree with your views on light and scale, though honestly the lighter plastics that MicroAce uses do it no favors and in this model I think it's particularly noticable.   One needs only compare a MA and Kato model of the same subject to see the relatively better qualtiy from the latter, even if the former is occasionally better in the mould or detailing.

That also said, I always found the use of JNR-like liveries by non-JNR operators a bit strange.  The Meitetsu one comes to mind. This one is not exactly JNR, but it's close enough that you can certainly see the inspiration.

The older stuff had someone doing those curves by hand with a lor of experience and talent. They were using French curves and knew what they were for. With more modern cad design its now grab the bezier handles and wiggle. Curves don't end up fitting good aesthetics much of the time or matching or complimenting. Also too much ease in and pressure to clone and borrow bits. Xerox blurr creeps in.

I've found all in all across a lot om models its a toss up on who does what best, each have their home runs and disappointments. Ma at times does nice attention to details and will attempt the odder things that kato and tomix do not. But they also wimp out on some with detail and/or quality.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Keio, that's a lovely train :) I used to dislike the older JNR forms and colour schemes, but they've really grown on me. On a whim I bought a Kato 151 series, which has since turned into 1 of my favourite trains. I'm also getting more and more into the older locomotives, and much of the more modern stuff is starting to look a bit dull.. (I must be getting old ... :))

Well, although I like modern trains better than no trains, I'd say after 1990 not many trains were built that I really find that attractive. Maybe the designs, maybe the heavy cars, traditional train interiors, motor and brake sounds, no aircon and windows that can be opened. There are many things that I dislike about most modern trains, although there are still some exceptions because like keio6000 mentions there are luckily still some good designs being delivered once in a while.

But is there anyone who knows of a JR Central design that looks good? Because I don't.

That also said, I always found the use of JNR-like liveries by non-JNR operators a bit strange.  The Meitetsu one comes to mind. This one is not exactly JNR, but it's close enough that you can certainly see the inspiration.

When I first saw a picture of the Keio express I thought without doubt that it was a JNR train, a prototype for the 151 series or something. A bit later I was surprised to find out that it actually wasn't a JNR train.

Guest keio6000
When I first saw a picture of the Keio express

It's a Tobu train.   Now replaced by the forgettable but not offensive "Spacia"

:)

This is such a hard decision to make..   its great seeing all the differing views

For me the Shinkansen has to be the classic lines of the Series 0, although I do have a fondness for the E3 Akita, it 

As for other trains, well the series 489 is lovely and retro

but my fave is probably one many would consider ugly, but I just lovely the livery, the look and well everything about it.

I give you...the KiHa 71 'Yufuin No Mori'

and this is one of the loveliest rail videos on YouTube (IMHO)

Graham

Mudkip Orange
Always thought the kintetsu 10100 was designed by three completely different design teams! It is a very interesting looking train. Definitely find it makes you keep looking at it. The three different cars do go well together though.

Jeff

This advert for video DVDs has some good footage of the old Kintetsu vista cars, both the 10100 and the almost-a-bonnet 10000.

What's interesting is at about 0:16 or so you see the inside of what looks like a Chicago-style gallery car. I didn't realize any of the Japanese railways had ever operated them.

Odakyu 3100 of course :-) and then Meitetsu 7000 and Meitetsu tramway (Gifu) 510!

Edited by sportinglife

We've had the ugliest - now how about the nicest ?

My own contenders ( Japanese, as this a Japanese Rail site.)

Loco hauled passenger train: (diesel)

Without doubt for the overall looks and styling of both loco and train plus fantastic livery - "Seven Stars of Kyushu"

Freight (diesel):

For sheer functionality and rugged looks - DF 200

Local freight/yard loco:   

DE 10 

Local DMU

Kiha - 120 series ( my personal all time favourite.)

Electric EMUS

'Acty' ( Tokyo) - livery and looks. ( but almost all emu sets are smart and functional)

Such a difficult topic :grin.

• most beautiful passenger cars - the Cassiopeia looks good and is fairly new.  I find the older JNR local passenger carriages more interesting though, like 32 and 43 series, and 12 series which apparently were for express services.  I don't think I've ever seen any of these in the flesh (or steel, as it were).
  • freight loco: EH10 or EF210
  • certainly DE10 for switcher/short run loco
  • local DMU: KIHA126, the legitimate successor to the KIHA47/8
  • EMU: very broad question, I'll go with the 223 series
  • Like 1

loco hauled - Twilight Express, maybe Sagano Railway as a close 2nd

freight loco - EH500

small freight loco - DE10

DMU - Kiha 40/47 Isaburo-Shinpei, close 2nd is Kiha 125, that yellow is very appealling and bold

EMU - E231 or E233 in Shonan/Skinjuku/Uneo/Takasaki livery, close 2nd is JRW 321 series, love the livery

steam - SL Hitoyoshi

shinkansen - 800 series

tram - Keikufu (Randen)

Edited by katoftw

loco hauled - JR East Cruise train - spring 2017

freight loco - DF200

small freight loco - DD16    I don't care for mis-matched bogies

DMU - KiHa48-500 "Umineko" - as colorful as it gets

EMU - E653 - 1000 "Inaho" - brilliant livery, and the basic trainset ain't bad

I'm going to be honest. What other local freight/yard loco is there than the DE10/DD16? Maybe a few DE10 derivatives at private companies but that's it. :P

And we're missing all kinds of categories like:

- Steam loco

- Diesel loco

- Electric loco

- DMU in general

- Shinkansen

- Tram

My personal list:

Electric passenger loco: EF510-500 Hokutosei blue livery.

Locomotive hauled train: Cassiopeia.

Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen: 100 Series V set Grand Hikari.

JR East Shinkansen: E4 Max.

JR Limited express: Super View Odoriko Original colour scheme.

Commuter/interurban EMU: E231 and E233.

Hhmmm I seem to find this topic strangely familiar but oh well:

Here's my list:

Loco-Hauled Passenger - EF510 + EF26 Cassiopeia. The beautiful colour scheme of Gray + 3 colour shades of lines running across the carriages with a beautiful star is really nice, and the interior with the end observation cars are just beautiful  

Loco Diesel - DE10. Without a doubt, the most versatile Diesel for both freight and passenger haul

Loco Electric - EF66. I like the looks on this EL, has a beautiful slant at both ends that looks nice  

Loco Steam - SL C57-160 Belonging to the SL Ban'etsu Monogatari. Beautiful steamer engine with an equally beautiful carriages! Close second to the Cassiopeia for the Loco-Hauled Passenger

Shinkansen - 500 series. Without a doubt even with the fierce competition from E5, E6 and E7, this is still the best looking train ever for me!

Limited Express Electric - This is HARD. There are tons of beautiful Limited Express trains around, but if there has to be only one, I would go with the 485 series 'Irodori'. Beautiful high top end with large LED screen at both ends, multiple head and tail lights, and nice overall colourful bands across a really nice white body coupled with an impressive Logo.

Limited Express Diesel - Still difficult to choose with the large range of Diesel Limited Express, but the Kiha-85 still seals it for me. Classic look, nice orange stripes across an aluminium coloured body, Large windows, Slanting Observation front carriage, able to perform multiple kinds of combinations and having sat on it personally on an impressive scenic Takayama line..

Rapid EMUs - E231-1000. I like the look on this E231-1000, along with its two double-decked cars.

Commuter EMUs - E233. Without a doubt the work horse of JR East now, and with it's multiple liveries they just look so nice!

Commuter DMUs - Kiha-25-1000 JR Central colour. Almost identical with the 313 series which I really like too but a DMU.

Tram/ Street cars - Gotta go with Enoden type 1100 'Skip-Enokun Go' livery for this. Colourfully painted sweet 2 car street car.

Hhmmm I seem to find this topic strangely familiar but oh well:

I thought so too, but I couldn't find back the original topic until now. Both topics have been merged, again.

HantuBlauLOL

Shinkansen: 500 (this thing is seriously cute from dead ahead)

Ltd express EMU: Odakyu 7000 LSE

Ltd express DMU: Kiha 183, the high cab one

Local EMU: Can't choose between 103, and E231..

Local DMU: Kiha 40 family

Electric passenger loco: EF66

Electric freight loco: EH500

Diesel passenger loco: DF50

Diesel freight loco: DF200

Steam loco: E10, decapod ftw.

Passenger car: E26

Shinkansen: 700-7000 Hikari Rail star

Limited express: EF510+E26 Cassiopeia, the 285 series sunrise Seto and Izumo.

Commuter:Hankyu 9000 series EMUs, Nankai 50000 series express.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk