new livery for JR East E653 Series

Interesting nice swirls. Nice to not all be straight lines.

Yellow cream doesn't see to quite be the compliment to the orange. Odd as most times Japanese train liveries are quite good at that. Might just be the white balance or color correction of the photo though...

Jeff

ha, yes good mental picture there e6.

jeff

ps oooh it just occurred to me a great new franchise biz to start in japan train stations! train cupcakes! E6 like trains, he likes cupcakes, he will go mad for train cupcakes!  im rich! air brushing, stenciling, and ink jet printing on food is all the rage so could even paint them like the trains with full markings! sell them in little consists in nice long tube boxes with the train printed on the outside (good packing of things like this is as important as the product!).

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 2
Guest keio6000

they should just paint a vein down the side of the thing.   I'm not a fan of the 653 or its overcompensatory design :)

Edited by keio6000
bronzeonion

What is the livery supposed to mean? Looks abit scruffy to be honest I would have liked to see it have the E657 treatment with the smart white and plum band livery.

Looks okay, but it could have used some counter-balancing colour stripes near the roofline.

I can probably spot this 4-car train on a special run at Shimodate when I visits the parents-in-law somewhere soon. I already saw it in its old livery there a few weeks ago.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Hello Mr Jeff,

Yes, I like your idea.  But already so many cake shops in stations.  So many good cakes too.

I would worry.  What if E6系 cake doesn't taste as good as it looks?  How about 0系 shinkansen cake?  What flavor for the first bullet train?  I think rail fans would be disappointed if their favorite train did not taste the  best.

I'd like to see the E651s get some fresh paint, but I wonder if those aren't too old and will just be kept for real shortages until they're scrapped altogether.

Alas, I don't think the E651's will be upgraded again--they're physically too old and I wouldn't be surprised over the next 4-5 years they will be scrapped, except for a small number of newer-production trainsets that will be kept around for "extra service" duty during Golden Week.

By the way, I believe the a number of E653 trainsets are now assigned to the Inaho limited express train between Niigata and Akita. Is there anywhere else the E653's formerly on the Hitachi/Fresh Hitachi service are now assigned to?

Edited by Sacto1985

Ahh but when there is that much competition you need to distinguish yourself!

Of course quality cake with the train form will be the good combination! Cleaver paring of the train with the flavor could be an additional attraction (like sandwich names in some shops).

Still think any train fan would rather ear (or even collect) train cupcakes rather than plain round ones, especially if sold in the train station!

I know I'm rich now! ;-p

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Hello Mr Jeff,

It is the same with trains.  So much competition.  In Japan there is usually more than one route one can take by train.  Thus, part of distinguishing the E653 is to give her new livery.

• Like 1

yes they did distinguish it with the new livery, but in the wrong way i fear. alas it really appears that someone w/o a decent ability with color did it unfortunatley. I work around enough colorists to know when they will scream. Cream is a really tough color to work with and dangerous (as exhibited in the E653). but it does work well on cupcakes...

jeff

Damn! That livery on the 6-car set looks really nice! Does anybody know if this livery (more colours) is also being adapted to the 4-car sets?

• Like 1
Damn! That livery on the 6-car set looks really nice! Does anybody know if this livery (more colours) is also being adapted to the 4-car sets?

I don't think you get an adequate view of this livery with a single photo.  A video gives a better perspective.

Hello Mr Babelony,

So sorry, but has anyone reviewed the original post since the video was added?

I believe the color scheme of the 4 car train is incomplete.  I look carefully at the images.

Please, do other members think the same?  Perhaps it is just my idea?

• Like 2
Hello Mr Babelony,

So sorry, but has anyone reviewed the original post since the video was added?

I believe the color scheme of the 4 car train is incomplete.  I look carefully at the images.

Please, do other members think the same?  Perhaps it is just my idea?

Yeah, in the blog link that I posted, it looks like the train only has the base white and orange.  The image of the sun (I assume) and the flowing pink and purple stripes are not there.

JR East has some really good paint schemes, I think.