Automated Train Announcements

Hello,

I am seeking any assistance as to whether the Tokyo subway trains play automated announcements computer generated only), hopefully including english, not those done by a guard/conductor (I have no interest in "human" announcements).

I have an interest in these systems (and have visited other countries for this reason). Subject to these systems existing in Tokyo, I might head over next year to see them in operation.

Any assistance would by greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Add

bikkuri bahn

AFAIK all Tokyo Metro trains use automated announcements that are recordings by real people.  People prefer the warmth of a real human voice, especially for the lengthy announcements that are common here.  The English annoucements are done by Christelle Ciari.

Metro Fukutoshin Line automated in-train announcement:

Modern trains have mostly automatic announcement systems, but like the older models, are also assisted by the conductor, providing additional information. I've actually never paid attention to the English announcements, since not all information is given... Other than that, I care more about concentrating on the driver (I like to stand in front), the engine sound or just my own tunes (when riding alone). :D

This is certainly an interesting subject.

Where I live (Netherlands) we only have automated robot-like voices in the most modern commuter trains. Like this: Good morning - The next station is - Rotterdam - You can change here to - the metro network of - Rotterdam. There's a few seconds pause at each dash and every part of recorded separately (of course by a human voice). It's the same is with every other metro and tram system that I have used.

All other trains are just done manually by either the conductor or driver (if it's a "one-man" service).

The voices from the video bikkuri posted sounds much better than those automatic voices here.

bikkuri bahn

Another possible reason why human voices are used is the strong tradition/culture of voice actors in Japan- those who are fans of manga/anime know of the devoted fan followings of voice actresses.  Many actors as well as TV news reporters/readers supplement their incomes with voice work and radio.

Thank you alll for your replies so far. Thankfully automated announcements on trains and on platforms are becoming the norm on major rail systems. If I know that a train or station is being annunced manually, I avoid them and wait for something that is, hnce the original question!

We have only ever had one synthetic voice in Australia, that was in Adelaide, and was around from the 1980's to 2006. They replaced it with a female voice artist. All trains and stations in Australia have automatic announcements, except for Brisbane and Sydney, where it depend son the rolling stock used or the station visited.

The Tokyo system at first look seems to be a bit like Singapore's system, which I visited last month. Thus my interest looking further north.

Rgards,

Add

I used to drive trains in Adelaide and am aware of the old computer generated voice announcers on the platforms. The voice had the unofficial nickname of "Cliff". I actually have a few of these units at home which I plan to set up on my 5" gauge railway with recordings which will play when the button is pressed.

The Adelaide 3000/3100 class railcars have only recently had automated announcements installed as I used to do all the announcements manually.

I have some videos of the Adelaide announcers on my YouTube page if anyone is interested?

http://www.youtube.com/user/poxbox3030/videos

I tried to embed a video to this thread but had trouble as I'm on my iPad working on the trains in the Pilbabra in Western Australia.

On my trip to Japan in 2010 I actually purchased the CD of the Yamanote Line announcements. I don't know if other lines are avaliable but half the fun is getting out there and recording them yourself!!

Yes, I must agree with E231-500, half the fun is when you go out and recording, rather than just downloading them. We both spent too many hours recording "Cliff"! Both E231-500 and I are trying to establish if automated announcements in English can be found on the Tokyo Metro and JR East. Can anyone shed some light on this for us please?

Thanks again,

Add

If I know that a train or station is being annunced manually, I avoid them and wait for something that is...

Why?

Mark.

I prefer the "uniformity" of automated announcements, something that is enjoyed over most of the UK. I even if the voice is annoying, at least you know everything sounds "uniform" to that voice artist.

Manual announcements, generally, are dreadful. Some are so bad I actually kept them. Many a time I have heard things in Australia where I have wondered if I have just heard english. Particularly in Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.