Deadly crash in Buenos Aires

bikkuri bahn

Some people address operators as conductors.  My friend in Toronto drives a streetcar and he told me about this and looked up into the rear view mirror towards the center doors and said I didn't know I had a conductor back there. There hasn't been a conductor on a Toronto streetcar since the Yonge subway opened March 30, 1954.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn
Why are they so bad at this?  Good grief.

Perhaps one of our South American members can chime in.  I assume corruption and lack of transparency is a big issue, as it is in other parts of the world.

Google translates 'train driver' into spanish as 'conductor del tren'.

Any driver can have a SPAD but when you go past four without realising it until you hit another train it's time to start asking yourself if you're really cut out for this job.

• Like 1

I'd say he's an ideal candidate for management!  :)

Seriously though, I'm assuming that there are no train stops/trips or other form of ATC on this line?

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
I'd say he's an ideal candidate for management!  :)

Seriously though, I'm assuming that there are no train stops/trips or other form of ATC on this line?

Cheers,

Mark.

It seems there is no such system in place, or at least I have read nothing that mentions it. Just looking at the trackwork, I see no evidence of a basic ATC/ATS system, such as balises. The railways of Argentina have long suffered from neglect, and privitisation has not helped. This blog by an expat Brit has some very interesting observations (dated after the first accident on this line):

http://argen-times.blogspot.jp/2012/02/disaster-on-el-sarmiento.html