Tokyu 8500(?) with green stripes?

Recently I've started using the Hanzomon line on a regular basis, albeit for very short trips, and am happy to note that it is not yet entirely dominated by brushed-aluminum E231 (?) derivatives. Coming home this evening I was slightly bemused to hop on a Tokyu train with a two-tone green stripe along the body (until now all the old Tokyu cars I've see have had a two-tone red strip). Is there any story behind that? I wasn't really awake at the time so didn't think to take any pictures, but the car number started with "88" (which would seem to indicate a 8500), and the construction year was Showa 50 (1975).

Well the Tokyu Den-en-toshi has mutual direct operation with the Hanzomon line and and Den-en-toshi line 5000s have a green stripe.

bikkuri bahn

I am not aware of any green striped 8500's on the Den'en Toshi Line (there are blue striped/faced versions).  I took a ride on the line this past weekend (Chuo-Rinkan to Jimbocho), and didn't see any that fit the description.  Perhaps bill's suggestion is a clue?

There is a Green/Light Blue striped 8500 on the Den'en Toshi (spotted it yesterday), with the number 8514F, nicknamed 伊豆の夏 (the Summer of Izu).

Other than that, there is also one with a blue stripe, instead of the usual stainless steel and red striped front. This is numer 8537F, nicknamed TOQ-BOX. Together with the 8534F (red stripes) and of course the 8514F, these are the only ones with stripes on the sides in the 8500 Series fleet IIRC.

8537F (blue striped TOQ-BOX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4QOuzhnWU

8534F (red striped TOQ-BOX)

The 8534F has seen a lot of liveries throughout the years, so beware when hunting for it on the internets!

Well, in Japan colours are used a bit differently. A green traffic light is called 'blue', despite the light being green. Also, if you're going to distinguish 'green' and 'aquamarine/aqua', for people who don't know what that colour is, it's just a different shade of green. The station's interior lights could also have influenced the colours a lot. If the lights were overall in a yellowish hue, the stripes on the 8500 would have naturally resulted in a more green colour.

Hi,

This is my first reply. nice to meet you.

I'm Japanese. so...explain of my broken English.

"Izu no natsu go"(伊豆のなつ号) is started at summer of 2005(Toyoko Line, 8007F). 

It's a promotion of Izu Kyuko LIne and Izu peninsula. (after the promotion, 8007F is transfered to Indonesia)

This promotion is  success. in the ensuing year, decorated 8614F in Den'entoshi line.

"Izu no natsu" promotion sticker pasted on summer of 2006 and from 2008 to now(every summer).  but, green/blue color is throughout the year.

This color is Izu Kyuko's color. Izu Kyuko 8000 series is painted this color.

Izu Kyuko is Tokyu Group company. Izu kyuko 8000 is formerly Tokyu 8000.

8614F is always called "伊豆のなつ号" by fans.

(Photo: Izu Kyuko 8000 series)

post-1542-0-11560600-1371683396_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
Hi,
This is my first reply. nice to meet you.
I'm Japanese. so...explain of my broken English.

"Izu no natsu go"(伊豆のなつ号) is started at summer of 2005(Toyoko Line, 8007F). 
It's a promotion of Izu Kyuko LIne and Izu peninsula. (after the promotion, 8007F is transfered to Indonesia)
This promotion is  success. in the ensuing year, decorated 8614F in Den'entoshi line.

"Izu no natsu" promotion sticker pasted on summer of 2006 and from 2008 to now(every summer).  but, green/blue color is throughout the year.

This color is Izu Kyuko's color. Izu Kyuko 8000 series is painted this color.
Izu Kyuko is Tokyu Group company. Izu kyuko 8000 is formerly Tokyu 8000.

8614F is always called "伊豆のなつ号" by fans.

(Photo: Izu Kyuko 8000 series)

Welcome and thanks for sharing this!