JR East E201 Shinkansen

First, the title is a joke guys! ;)

But the real thing is this:

Pretty cool huh?

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

Anyone know why they're coupled like that? The ladder suggests some kind of tour ("see how the trains evolved"), but perhaps it's common for stored trains.

The comments appear to suggest that they traveled to (or from?) Omiya coupled like that, and that this was taken at Niigata. Could it be for some kind of commemorative ceremony?

From what I've gathered both cars (222-1510 of 200系 formation K47 and E153-104 of E1系 formation M4)  where kept by JR East in order to be auctioned in parts (Seats, Max logo cab interior etc) on the "Super Smile Conference" (ニコニコ超会議) which was held on the 27th-28th of April this year. From what I've gathered, they where to be scrapped afterwards, unfortunately, however on a clip from the same YouTube contributor taken at May 13th they where both still there, though this might have more to do with the rest of K47's car (minus 2) still being scrapped. K51 seems to be the only on left on property as of mid may.

nico13.jpghttp://internet.watch.impress.co.jp/img/iw/docs/581/842/nico13.jpg

nikoniko200-2.jpg

On a more positive note, one car of 200系 formation K47 seems to have a more positive destiny, car 221-1510 is going to the Niitsu Railway museum near Niigata.

• Like 1
on the "Super Smile Conference" (ニコニコ超会議)

I presume this has to do with the Nico Nico Douga website...

But are there actually any plans to keep an E1 car somewhere? It would be a huge shame if they just mindlessly scrapped all cars, it's the first double decker Shinkansen!

Actually, what about the 300 and 400 series Shinkansen? Do they have a car of them somewhere in a museum? I thought the Japanese would keep at least one cab car of every Shinkansen type.

Densha,

But are there actually any plans to keep an E1 car somewhere? It would be a huge shame if they just mindlessly scrapped all cars, it's the first double decker Shinkansen!

As far as I know the mentioned car is the only E1系 in existence today, everything else was scrapped. So yes there might be a possibility no E1系 car will be preserved.

But then again, information about this subject is somewhat hard to come by, so I might (or at least I hope I am) be mistaken.

Actually, what about the 300 and 400 series Shinkansen? Do they have a car of them somewhere in a museum?

There are at least two 300系 preserved JR Tōkai's Museum in Nagoya (322-9001 from prototype formation J1, and 323-20 from formation J20) both from JR Tōkai formations. As far as I know there are currently no cars from JR West formations (F1~F9, all 3000番台) preserved, although I believe one formation (F9 if I'm not mistaken) was still on property as of late 2012.

Both 300系 cars in Nagoya, note the difference between the nose of a production car (front) and the prototype (back):

400px-SCMaglev_and_Railway_Park_Shinkans

...and 400 series Shinkansen? Do they have a car of them somewhere in a museum?

One car, 411-3, of the 400系 was set aside for future preservation, and was stored somewhere near Fukushima (the city, not the reactor). However no new information has been forthcoming since the Tōhoku earthquake 2 years ago.

• Like 1
NuclearErick

i not sure but about the date, but i belive until May this year one of 300s was printed with the Last Run Logo

post-866-0-81532300-1370608878_thumb.jpg

and last Year also the 0系 was with the Arigato nose, 1999 not sure ?!?!

post-866-0-12217800-1370608972_thumb.jpg

• Like 1