Looking for that perfect train watching spot

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

This has been on my mind recently, as the warmer days approach- finding the perfect spot to just watch trains go by (and not necessarily taking pictures of them), where a pleasant hour or so can be spent, the perfect antidote to a stress-filled daily existence, preferably with a thermos of coffee or, on a hot day, a cool drink to keep company.

Now, there are plenty of places to watch trains in Japan, of course, but I have some specific requirements:

1. Outside a station (no platform viewing)

2. A location ideally in a public park, or barring that, a quiet, relatively spacious temple or shrine ground. No restaurant dining areas or viewing decks. No on-street or sidewalk locations where vehicles and/or pedestrians/cyclists may interrupt viewing.

3. about 100m at the most from a station throat or crossovers, elevated above the railway, say at the top of a cutting or on a hillside- where the platform ends and trackwork are visible.

4. the railway station and railway line is at ground level (no elevated lines)

5. The station should be a pretty big one, where most if not all trains stop (but not a terminal or mega-station like Shinjuku).  Trains leaving the station will be still accelerating when they pass your vantage point. 10~12tph per direction, at least.

6. Have a good variety of services:

A. if JR, both local and ltd. express services, and preferably some freight also

B. if private railways, a major line, double or quad track, not a short line or single line affair, numerous service patterns and preferably ltd. express services in the mix

7. Prefer a Kansai location, but Tokai (Meitetsu?), Kanto, or Fukuoka (Nishitetsu) locations are ok.

I have a feeling Kintetsu may provide some candidates, but I don't know for sure.  Anyone here have any suggestions??

Here is a location I liked, unfortunately it's on a street (potentially dangerous) and the area is rather more closed-in by residences and commercial buildings than I prefer.  @Nankai Kouya Line Sakai Higashi Station (poor quality, but you get an idea of the angle I'm looking for, though I want a little more elevation):

• Like 1

The park in Kyoto between the station and the RR museum has a long stretch where you could just sit and watch trains.

there's also the bridge on the other side of the station.

There's a little playground south of Shinagawa station that overlooks the bend as the Shinkansen goes over the Tokaido line. With the advantage of being near the crossing and bridge on the south side of the station.

bikkuri bahn

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think the Kyoto location is a good one- the station is already is one of the best places to watch trains from the platforms, due to variety and being a through station.  You get the Tokaido Freights also.  I consider it the "Omiya of Kinki"*

*gmat will understand the reference :)

bikkuri bahn, I actually get the reference, since both Kyoto and Omiya Stations have a LOT of JR mainline and Shinkansen services go through the station. 

Edited by Sacto1985
bikkuri bahn

There are a lot of young fans at both stations too, though perhaps the Kyoto ones are better mannered...

Ochanomizu

Should I suggest Ochanomizu?

Hahaha ... you have heard me beat that drum before.

1058,ochanomizu-station.jpg

A small temple stands beside the bridge left of this image.  It is a tranquil place to be.

• Like 2
Ochanomizu

Hello miyakoji-san,

You are correct on all accounts.  It is the Yushima Seidō and Hijiri-bashi.  It is a quaint temple and thankfully removed from the tourist trail.  Several park benches are located in the public park adjacent the south gate.

The photograph above is from Hijiri-bashi looking east.  Walk north of this spot to find the west gate on your right.  I prefer the south gate.  To access, you must make sharp right just beyond the bridge and walk down the granite stair, then turn left.

It is also most enjoyable to walk west along the river on the north side.  I sometimes walk all the way to JR Suidobashi.

bikkuri bahn

Here's a location I was aware of, but just now recalled- the roof of the Oshiage Station bicycle parking lot, next to the Tobu Sky Tree/Soramachi development. Unfortuntely it's before Hikifune, so you don't get the Hanzomon Line run-through trains which include my favorite Tokyu 8500's. Anyway, a good urban spot:

Here night be an interesting spot. I've pass by it many times but have never visited it, but east of Omori Station is Omorikaizukaisekiteien, 大森貝塚遺跡庭園, a park. Where the park adjoins the tracks, but on the other side of the lower security fence is a large rock face. I've seen children sitting there watching the trains pass. If you feel less adventurous, there appears to be some stone benches(?) interspersed in the hedge above the rock face that you can also sit on. It is more than 100 meters from the station, but still close. No freight trains that I'm aware of on this stretch of the Tokaido Line. 

If you stop at Kamata Station and walk west along the Tokyo Tamagawa Line, there is a small park. The view is blocked by trees if you sit in the park proper, but if you sit on edge, you have a nice view of both lines as they converge at Kamata Station. 

I cycled along the Tokyo Tamagawa Line toward Tamagawa Station and ran into Numabe Station, where the line goes under the Yokosuka Line and the Shinkansen lines.You walk east up a small hill to a small road the goes over the two lines. You have to stand. While I spent a few minutes there, a photographer was snapping shots of the Shinkansens and a mother and grandmother were with their boy watching the trains. Not much activity here but you get a few freight trains early in the morning or around 11:30 and 12:30. You can get the same view outside of Ontakesan Station on the Ikegami Line as it nearly sits above the two lines. More crowded here, though.

At Nishi-Nippori Station on the Yamanote Line, walk out the west exit and walk south on the small road that follows the tracks for a short bit. It makes a dogleg and goes uphill but at the top, there is a small shrine where you have a nice view of the tracks below. You can also see the elevated Shinkansen viaduct below, too.

One problem is that if you are traveling, many of the better spots take time to get to. 

I stumbled onto this out of the way spot next to Shimizu Station on the JR Central Tokaido Line. If you get out of the east exit and walk south along the street that runs next to the tracks, you will find a small park next to the first small crossing across the tracks. The park is a five minute walk away from the Shin Shimizu Station on the Shizuoka-Shimizu Line. Well worth riding. 

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Thanks Grant, for the suggestions.  The Shimizu spot is intriguing, thanks to the freights that run on this route even during the noon hours (I reckon).  Looking at aerial photographic views, it really is a pocket park!  It's good it faces a curve, so you can see more of the train when looking head on.

A good spot would be somewhere from Omiya to just south of Saitama-Shintoshin Station before the freight line goes underground to join the Musashino Line. But I haven't spotted a suitable location yet. 

To the north of Akabane Station there is a small hill with a shrine. It should be a 10-13 minute walk. You can only view towards the south, but you can see the Saikyo and Tokaido Lines and the Shinkansen tracks. The thing about sitting amongst the trees during the summer are those darn pesky mosquitos and bugs. Most of the trains and many express will stop at the station. 

Across the Arakawa River and just south of Kawaguchi Station, on the west side, there seems to be a small sitting area next to the tracks. Only the Keihin Tohoku Line stops at that station so the rest of the trains would be barreling by. 

One nice spot would be on the banks of the Arakawa River. It's probably a 30 minute walk from Kawaguchi Station, but embankment is almost to the level of the bridge, so you can get a nice view of some of the trains. 

Sorry, but none of these are anywhere near perfect nor convenient.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn
One nice spot would be on the banks of the Arakawa River. It's probably a 30 minute walk from Kawaguchi Station, but embankment is almost to the level of the bridge, so you can get a nice view of some of the trains. 

Thanks.  I like riverside locations. It's outside my criteria, but there's Horikiri Station on the Tobu Isezaki, err, "Skytree" line too.  It's adjacent to the Arakawa.  Apparently it was the station closest to the Junior High depicted in the San-nen B gumi Kinpachi-sensei drama series. Here I can see a decent variety of Tobu and run-through stock.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
bronzeonion

Just remembered between Monoi and Sakura stations on the Sobu/Narita line in Chiba prefecture there are many popular spots on the bends of the line in the rice fields. I have no idea how to get there but it will probably be a very rural car/bicycle ride!

http://goo.gl/maps/LllPz

bikkuri bahn
between Monoi and Sakura stations on the Sobu/Narita

I should have gone there when the 113's were still running...

bronzeonion
I should have gone there when the 113's were still running...

I remember in 2011, very luckily as soon as I arrived at Chiba on a 211 series (also now gone from those lines!) after setting off from Yotsukaido I found a 113 series going to Naruto with lots of railfans swarming with cameras with the front door of the train carrying the Thank You 113 Series! headboard sticker. I sat down in a comfortable box seat with the window open thinking I wont be doing this ever again! Then on the return run I stood all the way back to Chiba behind the cab door looking through the window, the whole route especially along the Sakura - Monoi section was just lined with expensive cameras and people at good vantage points, tried searching for photos from that day but can't seem to find any!

bikkuri bahn

Yes, I got a pic of the headboard 113 series at Chiba Sta.  I remember when they were once so common on the Uchibo/Sotobo Lines- early spring was a good time to ride, after a winter without much color, you could see the rapeseed blossoms in profusion growing alongside the tracks.

bronzeonion
Yes, I got a pic of the headboard 113 series at Chiba Sta.  I remember when they were once so common on the Uchibo/Sotobo Lines- early spring was a good time to ride, after a winter without much color, you could see the rapeseed blossoms in profusion growing alongside the tracks.

By any chance was that on the 15th August 2011?