Closer to Digitizing My Collection

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

A long list of DCC projects, I decided to stop and  finish old business.

Completing these 5 bullets will be a huge leap forward.

Turns out, these trains are some of my first 9-Gauge bullets, and my favorites.

Having access to a band saw, I have stripped down the motor cars down to the bare 4071 chassis. Metal filings will stick to the magnetized chassis. It's best to go nude.

First pic is all 5 remaining 4071 chassis and marked in black what to remove (except the 0). Leaving a slight ridge is preferred so that the decoder cannot touch the driveshaft/u-joint.

Note that each chassis has a label noting the DCC address (based on the motor car numerals) and owner's initials on a 6mm label.

I keep a copy of my roster and programmed CV's on the iPhone as well. Never know when you have to reprogram.

Second pic is all 5 motor cars broken down and separated in crude paper cradles with TCS M1 decoder. The picture gives me a craving for Sashimi.

Each one will get interior lighting eventually, and the Rapido couplers will be converted to prototypical couplers.

Wiring motor cars is easy. Just 4 wires needed. The cab cars need a little work and patience.

Oh, so close to finishing. How about you?

post-398-0-06016400-1367883492_thumb.jpgpost-398-0-13467000-1367883532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webskipper
Nick_Burman
A long list of DCC projects, I decided to stop and  finish old business.

Completing these 5 bullets will be a huge leap forward.

Turns out, these trains are some of my first 9-Gauge bullets, and my favorites.

Having access to a band saw, I have stripped down the motor cars down to the bare 4071 chassis. Metal filings will stick to the magnetized chassis. It's best to go nude.

First pic is all 5 remaining 4071 chassis and marked in black what to remove (except the 0). Leaving a slight ridge is preferred so that the decoder cannot touch the driveshaft/u-joint.

Note that each chassis has a label noting the DCC address (based on the motor car numerals) and owner's initials on a 6mm label.

I keep a copy of my roster and programmed CV's on the iPhone as well. Never know when you have to reprogram.

Second pic is all 5 motor cars broken down and separated in crude paper cradles with TCS M1 decoder. The picture gives me a craving for Sashimi.

Each one will get interior lighting eventually, and the Rapido couplers will be converted to prototypical couplers.

Wiring motor cars is easy. Just 4 wires needed. The cab cars need a little work and patience.

Oh, so close to finishing. How about you?

attachicon.gifKato_4071Chassis_Stripped.jpgattachicon.gifDCC_BulletMotorCarBreakdown.jpg

I'm 4 locomotives from completely digitizing my Japanese N scale collection. Unfortunately the four are all Micro-Ace units - the hardest!

Cheers Nicholas