Kato 10-814 Decoder Install Question

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

G'day, I have hard wired many Kato/Tomix trains with Digitrax DN125/135's with no issues. All of them had motor cars in the middle of the train so light control wasn't an issue.  I now have a Kato 10-814 813-200 series. The motor car is the lead on the set. It has a circuit board with lighting. I am confident that I can install the decoder as I have in the past and bypass the lighting but would rather not if I can. Any ideas on how to do this? I am assuming that if I isolate the motor contacts from the board, the lighting should still get track power to illumintate non directionally?

Thanks

Spiff

post-387-0-44991700-1367288598_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-47605600-1367288625_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-96380500-1367288646_thumb.jpg

westfalen

P.S. Thanks for posting this, it prompted me to pull a part my Kumoya 90 and it has the exact same board. When I got it a couple of weeks ago I set it aside until I could find time to look at hardwiring something but now I'll look through my stock of D163K type decoders and see if I can fin a fit.

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt even consider a DN163K. What version of it would be best? In terms of modification, I'm assuming it would be thc light that needs moding?

Westfalen, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
westfalen

On closer inspection it looks like a DN163K but not quite, the motor contacts are different and the board has two LEDs at each end for head and tail lights. This will require a bit of thought.

CaptOblivious

At least the TCS version has pads for soldering surface mount LEDs (not as hard as it sounds!), and I bet the LED solder points on the Digitrax could accommodate surface mount too. Just reuse the existing LEDs.

I would be worried Bout components on the underside of the decoder myself. But if the motor contacts are in a different position, it may be moot. How different are they?

Spaceman Spiff

I thought I would add better pics of the factory board.

1st pic: top of the board, 2nd pic top with frame  & 3rd pic bottomof the board

Spiff

post-387-0-35546000-1367452470_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-24883700-1367452503_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-00458200-1367452529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
westfalen

As you can see in the middle one of Spiff's photos above, the motor contacts are inside the brass contact strips and contact the underside of the board rather than being on the outside of the strips and wraping round to touch the top of the board.

There is an LED on the top of the board for headlights and underside for tail lights, (on both ends of the double ended Kumoya 90), I suppose you could do without the bottom one if you didn't mind not having tail lights.

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the find westfallen. I don't understand Japanese so how much does our good friend at NGDCC want for it? lol  Does he ship to North America?

Spiff

westfalen

His price is Y3,800 and he ships foreign orders, I've gotten orders sent to Australia ok.

This is the 'how to order' page, http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/orderj.htm I ran it through google translate which comes out as below, but basically how it works is you email your order and he emails back a link to a secure site to pay by credit card. He seems to understand English and is easy to correspond with.

In the case of the NGDCC decoder purchase, Please order it in understanding each review below.

For analog operation of the decoder

How to avoid and cause and response to burning decoder

I accepted only by e-mail your order. Please send us over the bullet the following content.
(Email: Orderattosnjpn.Com )

※ If sent, please check that the reply email from us is rejected because there are many mail from mobile.

After the first time, your order is fine only quantity and name of product.

We are pleased to announce fee and delivery time, and the payee's bank account.

1. Name
  2. EMAIL address
  3. Delivery address
  4. Product name and quantity
  5. Payment
    1. Bank transfer
    2. Mail account
    3. Credit card (visa master card) 2007.8.28 handling Resume
  6. Command station of your
  7. Main, scale (gauge)

I do and free shipping (Okinawa, an isolated island is excluded) if more than - your order amount is 15,000.

※ In the case of 5,000 yen or less, shipping is, use a non-standard-size mail roughly the total amount.
The other, I will send out letter back 500 or pack Yu.

Spaceman Spiff

I have emailed him hopefully I will hear back soon.

westfallen, do you know if this a homemade custom decoder or a modified name brand decoder?

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the info Ochanomizu it was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was custom made. Are you the person selling the decoders?

Spiff

westfalen

I can vouch for the decoders being well made, I have several and have had no problems installing or programing them.

You do have to solder on the surface mount LEDs yourself, which he also has so you can order them with the decoder.

westfalen

Friday in Japan was 'Constitution Memorial Day', a national holiday so you might not hear anything until after the weekend. Hobby Search hasn't posted anything on their site since Thursday either.

Hello Mr Spiff,

I use many of NGDCC product.

NGDCC offer extremely custom solution decoder.  For example, please consider DF4.6tcl decoder here: http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/df4tcl/df4_5tclj.htm

It is designed for use only in Tomix Track Cleaning Car.  That is extremely custom, don't you think?  I have four myself.

You will find NGDCC product quite reliable, and unique.  :)

Edited by E6系
Ochanomizu
Thanks for the info Ochanomizu it was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was custom made. Are you the person selling the decoders?

Spiff

So sorry Mr Spiff,

I am not the manufacturer or representative of NGDCC.

I see you have sent them inquiry.  Please be patient for reply.  It is currently public holiday in Japan.

Guest Closed Account 1
On closer inspection it looks like a DN163K but not quite, the motor contacts are different and the board has two LEDs at each end for head and tail lights. This will require a bit of thought.

That's a common light board. I've replaced it on may older E&F American Diesels and newly re-released Kato Locomotives. The Kato Eurostar accepts this decoder with a little love.

Look for the Decoder for the F3B diesel. TCS K0D8-B. The B Unit does not have headlights or tail lights. The decoder boards for A&B are produced the same way with the exception of the LEDs. With an A unit decoder, you can just shorten the LED leads.

There is a 102 SMD resistor already installed on the decoder. You'll need to transfer the original SMD LED and SMD resistor to the decoder.

Voila!

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Kato/EMD_F3B/EMD_F3B.html

If there is a pocket to hide a TCS M1 decoder then you can hack the light board.

Edited by Webskipper
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the info Webskipper. I'll wait to see if I get a opportunity to buy the NGDCC decoder.

Spiff