USB Microscopes for Soldering

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Are you using a USB Microscope for Soldering?

Wondering which model is preferred.

I ordered some SMD LEDs to make EOTs for some USA freight cars and need a better way to view these and very small parts.

One utube video on soldering SMDs uses a USB microscope. So handy and clear.

My halogen magnifier can melt small plastic parts.

Magnifiers mess with your eyes, you would think a monitor screen would be kinder.

Ive looked at doing this, but there are a few problems using USB microscopes for doing stuff like this.

First most of the USB microscopes are pretty high power. For most of this kind of work 5-20x would be all that is needed, most of the USB scopes are a lot higher magnification.

When looking at the scopes specs its hard to really figure out what the do until you have them in your hand. I've played with a couple of them and both were not quite how they were marketed. Both were only ok to play with, I would not have said either were worth paying much for to do any work with. One was like $50-75 and the other around $200.

Most of the USB scopes have pretty poor depth of field and many are set up with a focal distance so the scope has to be right on top of your work. Not good for manipulation.

Last it takes practice to work on a screen like this. I did a lot of scope work in grad school thru the scope and on a screen. It's an odd twist on the brain to work not seeing your hands. Most can train to it, but maybe 1 in 4 in grad school never got the hang of it well even with years of doing it.

My daylight florescent magnifier does 3.5x and been fine for smd led soldering. Plenty of light and room to work. If I need a bit more mag I throw on some 2x reading glasses. If your light source is melting stuff, it's wayyy to strong for working on small bits.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Guest Closed Account 1

Very good info.

I only use the halogen lamp for light now. Too hot.

Ill look at led magnifiers this weekend.

I have a cheapo led magnifier that's ok

http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-LED-Magnifier-Floor-Lamp/dp/B00198RKF0

but the one with the daylight balanced 24w fluorescent gives the best, most even light and good magnification. Best thing is the big, flat 7" lense. Great field of view and large focal area. Means you can move around a lot more while working.

This is mine. http://www.allbrands.com/products/22473-naturalight-un1030-7-lens-1-75x-magnifying-lamp-an

I got them both at ac Moore craft store when they had a 60% off coupon.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

yep the top one is the one i have. 

cool a 7" with led! i see there are a lot more of these on the market since i last looked! happy days!

actually either is probably fine, led will be lighter and last longer though. while having a lot of light from the mag ring is nice, i also usually have at least one strong light from the side. this will add a little accent contrast to see things well. too much light from the ring will take away all contrast if flooded too much. 

the big trick is to get as big a lens as you can. this is what i have found over the years makes these swing arm mags the most useful. i got mine for about $70 with the coupon and it was still expensive, but its a super super good tool to have and very worth the money.

having the little flip up lid is nice as mine are always full of dust and smutz im always cleaning off with eye glasses cleaner and cleaning tissues (wife always got those kits with her new glasses but never used them and i collect them, perfect for cleaning stuff like this!)

i wonder if around 7" is the max before you get too much distortion and no increase in field of view. 

i have some 2.5x flip up lens that i can put on my reading glasses and they work well thru the big lens as well. harder to look away and grab stuff, but i got short height glasses and had my reading glasses fitted to be low hanging so i could slouch in the chair when i read and also look over the top of them when working with them to look at things farther away like the tv or work table.

i have two of these 7" now, one in the basement shop and one on my desk in the office and use it all the time. ive used the shop one on the rotary tool when doing micro turning, worked great and kept the little flying bits from my face!

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

I ended up getting an led rectangular type because the round ones give you a small round viewing area before it really gets distorted.

The rectangles ones give a rectangular view which feels better on the eyes.

Ultra-Efficient 108 LED Magnifier Lamp - Large 7" x 6" Lens 5-Diopter by ProMagnify

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jn2JQlufL._SL1200_.jpg

Very clear view and no more circular viewing area. The LEDs look like daylight so it is very easy on the eyes.

Edited by Webskipper

Actually it depends on how well the lens is made. My 7" circular has no center distortion and in fact that is the sweet spot. I've used rectangular lenses in the past, they are usually just a circular lens cut rectangular. Usually to fit a form factor not for any optic reasons.

So it's all just in how well the lens is ground. I ground a 9" reflector lens when I was a kid, great way to learn optics, was a snap the in physics lab!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Geezer goggles are great, but I find I get stiff necks when I use them too long for some reason. For some reason I tend to not move as much when I use them and I stiffen up! I think it may be they tend to give you tunnel vision and I just end up focused working in one spot not moving. Also I think when you move your head its a bit disorienting with the magnification so I probably keep my head too locked in place.

Still would like a low power USB scope, haven't found one yet that fits the bill.

I do need to pull out my old binocular dissection scope to try out. Great old Ziess from like the 50s that was getting tossed from one of the labs in grad school, great dumpster find!

Jeff

Btw odd that this thread seems to be a spambot magnet

Edited by cteno4