Change of train announcements on Yamanote Line?

Sacto1985

Long-time YouTube user nimo5 posted on 14 September 2009 a multi-part video of a full trip around Tokyo on the Yamanote Line (this is the first part from Tokyo to Tabata Station):

Note an interesting tidbit: the train station announcements are completely in Japanese. I've noticed that in full-length videos uploaded to YouTube a few years later, the announcements were in both Japanese and English. I wonder was the change made to better accommodate foreign tourists and ex-pats living in the Tokyo area?

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Yes, I think that was the aim.  Same with the numbering of stations and color coding.  The English announcements at least on the local trains (as well as Tokyo Metro trains) are done by talent Christelle Ciari. The limited express/shinkansen announcements are voiced in a British accent by Jean Wilson, who apparently is a university instructor.

Nice video! Tokyo, Kanda, Akihabara, Okachimachi, Ueno.... Sorry i just had to sing that song ~

I really like the Yamanote line, it being the busiest and most importatant line of Tokyo and all, although i have never rode on it...

What amazes me is the train running late? The station train leaving melodies are only played for just a while and got cut to close the train doors and quickly move off the train... Or is this the norm for the Yamanote line when the stations are not so packed; i.e. off-peak hours? But i was able to see on the opposite line (outer circle line) when the train in line is only about 1.5 station away from the front train...

Amazing schedule of the Yamanote line ~~

bikkuri bahn
What amazes me is the train running late? The station train leaving melodies are only played for just a while and got cut to close the train doors and quickly move off the train...

It was likely filmed in the early morning on a summer weekend, judging by the few passengers and casual clothing worn.  Nothing unusual about the short departure melodies- no need to linger as the passengers getting off and on are few at this time.

On average, as I was told by a friend, Yamanote trains run around 20 minutes late every day, but due to their high frequency, this is hardly noticed and mentioned. If all goes smoothly, all is well with JR East.

I've noticed that the English announcer on the Odakyu Line, who seems like a native English speaker, doesn't use the article 'the' when naming the various train lines. For example, "Thank you for riding Odakyu Line," or "You can switch to Inokashira Line." Most other lines that use English use 'the.' I think that perhaps Odakyu follows British usage. The speaker sounds North American, though. Canadians follow British usage, usually, in grammar and spelling.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1
I've noticed that the English announcer on the Odakyu Line, who seems like a native English speaker, doesn't use the article 'the' when naming the various train lines. For example, "Thank you for riding Odakyu Line," or "You can switch to Inokashira Line." Most other lines that use English use 'the.' I think that perhaps Odakyu follows British usage. The speaker sounds North American, though. Canadians follow British usage, usually, in grammar and spelling.

Hey, I've never paid attention to this at all. I'll do that the next time I ride Odakyu.

@ bikkuri bahn

Nice observations! Yes i would reckon the Yamanote line to be jam packed in the peak hours something like this:

@ Toni Babelony

Interesting fact! Now i wonder how many E231-500 JR East have altogether....

I just love the Yamanote ~

The frequency of the trains are so fast and control is so good the trains run perfectly each time without breakdown nor congested. Really good control~

After viewing the video, it seems some stations are in fact very near to each other... Less than 1 minute away. It's really a good video, i can even hear the chime of the ATS working... Good that the video is taken at off-peak hours as i can imagine the noise and chatter inside the train...  

Didn't watch the whole thing, but but my guess is the 車内放送 (PA system) was not working or turned off.

The conductor was making the announcements himself, so naturally it will be Japanese only.

See this video from 2007 with the system working properly:

Edited by quashlo
bronzeonion
On average, as I was told by a friend, Yamanote trains run around 20 minutes late every day, but due to their high frequency, this is hardly noticed and mentioned. If all goes smoothly, all is well with JR East.

The Yamanote line uses the same system for the information displays and station announcements as every other JR East line with such facilities and when a train is late the information boards always show how late a train is, I have seen for example 5mins late displayed on a Yamanote board in the same way as it would show on any other JR East line so I don't think that they do run 20mins late.

bikkuri bahn

20 min. late on the Yamanote Line would warrant a dedicated news report.  Delays of even 1 or 2 minutes on all JR lines (and other companies) are reported on TV morning news programs as well as on  the internet/smartphone apps.

bikkuri bahn

On a related note, here is an anouncement on the Keiyo Line- it sounds recorded, but it's actually the live voice of the conductor/guard.  Though the voice sounds feminine, the conductor is a man based out of the Soga division.  Apparently this conductor's technique has gained some fame on the net.

bronzeonion
On a related note, here is an anouncement on the Keiyo Line- it sounds recorded, but it's actually the live voice of the conductor/guard.  Though the voice sounds feminine, the conductor is a man based out of the Soga division.  Apparently this conductor's technique has gained some fame on the net.

Hahaha, did he have the automatic announcements turned off too?

On Saturday I was on a Saikyo line train to Shinjuku and the conductor sounded as if he was singing the station names!