Some unusual visitors at Kuroiso Station - MUE-Test Train and Joban Line E53128-Mar-13

Yesterday, Mar. 28th, i spent about 6 hours at Kuroiso Station. I mostly shot the changeover with the freight trains. At 14:58, this came down from Koriyama ways. It left at 15:05 and as I left for Shinjuku soon after, I saw it parked at Utsunomiya Station. 

Arrival.

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

8124M.

DSC_0687.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

Departure.

DSC_0716.jpg

Wonder why it was passing through.

Also this came from Utsunomiya at 10:48 and left at 10:55. It's the MUE-Train, 209 Series Test train.  I saw it earlier parked at Utsunomiya Station coming up this morning and I stayed and shot a set of photos from the other side. 

Earlier at Utsunomiya during a hazy morning.

DSC_0122.jpg

Arrival.

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by gmat

Part 2.

9911M - Test Run

DSC_0455.jpg

Some detail photos.

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

Departure.

DSC_0475.jpg

Best wishes,
Grant
Edited by gmat
  • Like 2
bronzeonion

I saw the MUE train at Omiya heading northbound on the 27th, it must have been doing a circuit of some sort in that area of Japan

Hello Mr Grant,

So sorry, MUE train is not used to test the track.  MUE is fitted with next generation train communication and control software.  The technology is called INTEROS.  It is this equipment that is being tested, not the track.  You can read about such here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/development/theme/trust/muetrain.html

Also, Micro Ace made the N gauge model of the MUE: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10164572  Alas, it is sold out and difficult to find.  I do not think it will be replayed.

• Like 1

Hello Mr Grant,

So sorry, I forgot to mention how lucky you are to see MUE while armed with a camera.  I have not found myself.

So sorry, MUE train is not used to test the track.  MUE is fitted with next generation train communication and control software.  The technology is called INTEROS.  It is this equipment that is being tested, not the track.  You can read about such here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/development/theme/trust/muetrain.html

Thanks for the info, Ochanomizu. That's interesting about the data system. Are the short antennae now on trains WiMAX? On JR trains they're often near the flares. The E259 has lots of them, I guess for the in-car WiFi.

Hello Mr Miyakoji,

I cannot comment on the E259 except to assume you are correct.

MUE transmits two kinds of data via WiFi: first is the data that is proposed to be sent by the system during normal operation.  Second is additional testing data which will be dropped during normal operation.  All of this data is also recorded on MUE for comparison in the lab.

So sorry.  I do not know any more than that.

bronzeonion

Does anyone know if the MUE train has the original traction equipment that the 209 series has or has it been replaced by the E233 sounding type fitted to the E217 and Chiba area 209's?

• Like 1