103`s in osaka?

Anyone heard any news about 103`s being phased out??

recently i have been seeing 205`s and 223`s or maybe it was 225`s doing their runs particularily the loop line.

But also down my line the hanwa line i have seen many more 205`s coming down the line, usually you don`t see many.

It could explain why GM have been doing several 103 kansai regions lately.

bikkuri bahn

The phasing out of the 103's is not an issue of if, but rather how soon. Apparently a 7 car 205 unit was transferred earlier this month from Aboshi depot to Hineno, sans one trailer car, to be used as a six car unit on Hanwa line local service. If there are any other 205's lying around, expect more to come to Hineno depot.

*keitaro, I was on the Hanwa line today to photograph a 381 series. Managed to get one at Kumatori.

The 103's are leaving not only from the sheer age of the vehicle, but also the fact they lack many modern amenities like air conditioning and automatic doors. 

bronzeonion
The 103's are leaving not only from the sheer age of the vehicle, but also the fact they lack many modern amenities like air conditioning and automatic doors. 

The 103 series are retrofitted with air conditioning I thought? And the doors are operated by air

bikkuri bahn
The 103 series are retrofitted with air conditioning I thought? And the doors are operated by air

You're correct. The 103`s all have had aircon since at least the 90`s, and the doors have standard air operation. Actually some of the rebuilt JR west units are quite modern inside. Just rode the one man operated Bantan Line 103 units today, those are in relatively good condition.

bronzeonion
You're correct. The 103`s all have had aircon since at least the 90`s, and the doors have standard air operation. Actually some of the rebuilt JR west units are quite modern inside. Just rode the one man operated Bantan Line 103 units today, those are in relatively good condition.

Yes I noticed in pictures of some of the Osaka 103's that the body paint has been extended upwards about 10cm and the windows now have 'hopper' style windows or are they sliding?

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4060/5138959603_e114604d9c_z.jpg A refurbished one

http://bosoview.sakura.ne.jp/jr/keiyo/103/103_k304_ddm1b.jpg An unrefurbished example

Will be visiting Osaka during my stay starting tomorrow so hope to grab a ride on some 103's! Havn't been on one since me and a relative luckily got on one on the Musashino line a long time ago!

Edited by bronzeonion
bikkuri bahn
Yes I noticed in pictures of some of the Osaka 103's that the body paint has been extended upwards about 10cm and the windows now have 'hopper' style windows or are they sliding?

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4060/5138959603_e114604d9c_z.jpg A refurbished one

http://bosoview.sakura.ne.jp/jr/keiyo/103/103_k304_ddm1b.jpg An unrefurbished example

Will be visiting Osaka during my stay starting tomorrow so hope to grab a ride on some 103's! Havn't been on one since me and a relative luckily got on one on the Musashino line a long time ago!

I haven't checked out how the windows operate, so I can't say.  But I reckon they are primarily intended for opening only in emergencies, I've never seen the new versions opened in normal use- in summer the aircon is going full blast.  Suffice to say, the new versions have better gasket seals, the original windows were rattlers and let all sorts of draughts in.

Saw a few of the 103's on the Osaka Loop Line today, even a green colored unit (off a Yamatoji service?)  Glad they are still being used into the second decade of this century.