new kiha 25 to replace all current jnr kiha

Essentially, the 10 KiHa 25's now in service on the Taketoyo Line south of Nagoya will be supplemented by 42 more units, and they will replace all the KiHa 40/47/48 units now in JR Central service by 2015. 

I'm not sure if I like the KIHA25's design. I like the fact that it looks like the 313 Series EMU, but it doesn't really add variety to the fleet of JR Central, does it? However, it does add a certain form of uniformity to the already quite uniform trains, which is a good thing I think...

Let's just hope the KIHA40, 47 and 48 will find a new home (which probably won't happen).

• Like 2
Mudkip Orange

I'm curious how much mechanical similarity there is between the 313 and the new KIHA. Maybe they use the same traction motors/interior electrical setup.

Meh, I don't like the Kiha25 at all. It looks quite ugly TBH. Does the Kiha25 have any systems for saving energy such as saving energy when braking and batteries or is it a simple diesel train? If it is, I don't see much reason to replace the Kiha 40's. And I'm biased because of the looks.

Manufacturer prob added eco sticker to the motor. Lol

Could also be hard to get parts as much as i love the jnr era ones it will be there time soon everywhere.

I think the ex-JR Central KiHa 40/47/48 trains will end up on JR West, JR Shikoku or JR Hokkaido service, or could be rebuilt for more tourist trains on JR Kyushu.

@Sacto1985

If I'm correct the oldest DMU's of those companies are the Kiha 40 series as well. But considering they are (presumably) still in a good state maybe they could sell them off to another company or country. (though we know that often the trains end beaten up in those countries where other JR trains went to)

Speaking of retirements, YouTube member angelspringsTavio just told me JR West is retiring some older passenger trainsets and introducing replacements in the Hiroshima area this year. Any news on what that is?

bikkuri bahn
I'm curious how much mechanical similarity there is between the 313 and the new KIHA. Maybe they use the same traction motors/interior electrical setup.

The carbodies are the same.  Cab arrangement also- the one handle combined throttle/brake is a first for JR Tokai diesel units.  Transmission is the standard torque converter type (not electrical motors).  Braking is electrically operated air and engine brake.

There's been some video/pictures of a 2-car 223 set testing in the Hiroshima area.

So any news on when will the first 223 Series trainsets start operating in the Hiroshima area? How far west and east on the Sanyo Main Line will the Hiroshima-based 223's go? Will they range from Shin-Yamaguchi to the west and Itozaki to the east?

(By the way, this will keep YouTube contributor nimo5 very busy. Expect lots of videos of 223's going up and down the "Senohachi" grade east of Seno Station on the Sanyo Main Line possibly as early as late this spring, more or less.)

(EDIT: I just found what's going on--JR West has announced they will phase out the 115 Series EMU's on the San'yō Main Line. They are testing a two-unit 223 Series trainset now between Itozaki and Shimonoseki, and may assign a number of 225 Series trainsets to be based at JR West's Hiroshima Depot east of Hiroshima Station for San'yō Main Line operation. The trainsets will likely feature upgraded electric traction motors for safe operation over the Senohachi grade between Seno and Saijo Stations on the San'yō Main Line.)

Edited by Sacto1985