HOW TO PROGRAM NCE SWITCH KAT? (I HAVE MRC PRODIGY EXPRESS)

Guest Closed Account 1

Did you try programming it on the program track or off the main line?

Looks simple enough to program.

Programming information

The Switch-Kat cannot be programmed on your programming track. It is always

programmed while connected to the mainline track. This decoder can be programmed by

all systems that support accessory control using the procedure below.

Its all on Page 3.

Did you try programming it on the program track or off the main line?

Looks simple enough to program.

Programming information

The Switch-Kat cannot be programmed on your programming track. It is always

programmed while connected to the mainline track. This decoder can be programmed by

all systems that support accessory control using the procedure below.

Its all on Page 3.

Hi WSkipper, I know what happened, with prodigy express u cannot program acc.decoders (switches, turnouts etc) need a Prodigy Advance, I talk to MRC and NCE and They explain everything

Guest Closed Account 1

The Kato Turnout Controllers do work with DCC systems because the solenoids do not touch track power.

I'm using them on my layout.

The Kato Turnout Controllers do work with DCC systems because the solenoids do not touch track power.

I'm using them on my layout.

It's my first time ;)

Welcome.

We're learning, too.

yesterday I finish programming and testing, everything is good, now want to test "SPROG III" 

Guest Closed Account 1

Can the Kato Switch Controller be modified to manually throw the points through the Switch-Kat?

I already have Kato Switch Controllers and don't want to buy DPDT switches.

See pdf below.

NCE_switch_kat 2.pdf

Edited by Webskipper

unfortunately not as the kato controller is a momentary AND reversing with only two contacts. basically it gives a momentary pulse out the two terminals and reverses the polarity of the two terminals when thrown in the different directions.

what you need here are two momentary push buttons. you can get small ones pretty cheap. DPDTs wont work for the switch cat unless you get a momentary DPDT and those get expensive and are not usually done really small (you can find them, but rarer than regular locking DPDT switches). you can find micro momentary switches really cheap. search around the surplus electronics shops and ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=momentary+push+button+switch&_osacat=19119&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=momentary+push+button+switch&_sacat=0

the two momentary switches each have one terminal connected to the common terminal on the controller and then one each to the unique terminals on the controller.

cheers

jeff

Yep. Actually you only need spdt, but most momentary are dpdt. Gotta love ebay, that's a decent price.

Only problem with the momentary is that they don't show the thrown direction.

For this type control panel I like the push buttons as you can just push the button on the route you want as you follow along the diagram. Smoother and less brain action than having to manipulate a switch lever the desired direction. They are cheap, experiment some!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Guest Closed Account 1

Ok I got it. I might have some of these.

Same seller has the spdt.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=380401542325&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=64308765906

I was planning to take full advantage of the switch-kat and use it to power control panel LEDs and signal LEDs. This decoder is a real winner.

NCE gives a club discount not much cheaper than the very competitive online stores sell them for.

Guest Closed Account 1

Experimenting with the Switch-Kat and my breadboard I was able to get the leds to indicate the points position just as a signal would do.

Problem is, when the points are closed (normal) both leds stay on with one led half lit. When thrown it works correctly.

Any hints other than the decoder might be faulty?