115 series broken pantograph recovery video

bronzeonion

bronzeonion

A very nicely done video by ya1964ma on Youtube showing the evacuation and recovery operation by JR when a Chuo line 115 series train encountered problems with the pantograph.

Nice selection, I hadn't seen this one.  I wonder how much of that emergency equipment they had on board, and how much those other guys brought with them.  Catenary looked ok, I suppose they pulled it away with another EMU set rather than driving a DE10 out there to get it.  Wrong couplers anyway.

• Like 1

According to the information from the original video posting on YouTube, the train encountered a fallen tree on the old Chuo Main Line branch line geographical north of Ono Station and knocked out the pantograph unit. They had to call in a rescue train from Tatsuno Station further down the line, and I believe the broken trainset was subsequently taken to Shiojiri Station.

• Like 1
bronzeonion

Thanks for the extra information guys, I wondered why they went cutting down some branches in the video! I found it amazing how close to the track and the train enthusiasts were allowed to get, just to photograph it!

Nice video! Shows how fast JR responds to breakdown, which is good! Wonder what happens to the commuters? Is there another train or a ferry bus to off-load all of them? Also wonder if the power is switched off. If the power is still on, really fear for the workers who are working so near to the cable itself! Then again, if the power is off, how does the recovery train runs?

Davo Dentetsu
Nice video! Shows how fast JR responds to breakdown, which is good! Wonder what happens to the commuters? Is there another train or a ferry bus to off-load all of them? Also wonder if the power is switched off. If the power is still on, really fear for the workers who are working so near to the cable itself! Then again, if the power is off, how does the recovery train runs?

It also shows how fast trainfans move also.  :P

bronzeonion

I think its safe to say the power was turned off whilst the workers tried to do something with the pantograph and then switched back on when the rescue train came

Stuff with the pantograph regularly happens in the Netherlands, even though it's usually not caused by a tree. ;)

I notice the trains running on a line in the distance, I wonder how the track layout is there and why there are two single tracks so close to each other.

Stuff with the pantograph regularly happens in the Netherlands, even though it's usually not caused by a tree. ;)

I notice the trains running on a line in the distance, I wonder how the track layout is there and why there are two single tracks so close to each other.

What you're seeing is the "new" Chuo Main Line, that one that has a long tunnel between Midoriko and Okaya Stations. The train being rescued is on the "old" Chuo Main Line, the one that connects to the north end of the Iida Line.

Thanks for the info! After a look up at wikipedia I think I understand it, but there are a lot of railways and branches there.