Need Help with Decoder Install

Showsp

I have just purchased a Kato C11 and need to put in a decoder.  Anyone have a suggestion as to where to install and what decoder to use?

Edited by Showsp
CaptOblivious

I moved your thread to the DCC forum.

The C11 is quite small! I wonder if there is room at all?

Here are some pages I turned up (in Japanese); one uses a Digitrax DZ125, so any N-scale decoder of roughly that size should work fine.

http://www.moemoe.gr.jp/~chacha/dcc/neta/

http://homepage1.nifty.com/kobac/dcc/decoder2.HTM

http://www.ncn-t.net/tsuda-railway/c11-155.htm

I sure appreciate the help.  There seems to be so few things about this unit.My Google searches have turned up almost nothing.  I found these pictures to be helpful even if I don't read Japanese..  Need to just try and fit it in.  I have put the DZ125 into a Atlas Shay for a friend.  Worked fine but had to use the area over the worn gear with small platform. My unit should be in here in a couple of days.  Will have a better idea once I disassemble the little lady.   Again thanks. I looked around the forum and it is very interesting.   Glad I found it.

Thanks Bernard . You folks are great. 

Martijn Meerts

Years ago I was working for Revlon and had a computer installation in the Netherlands that I was responsible for.  Fell in love with the country and its people. Will try to find the the article by Marti

Martijn Meerts
I know Marti a while ago had posted a photo step by step instruction at the forum. It came out looking great.....Marti!

I haven't done an install in Kato's C11 (or at least, not that I can remember, but my memory sucks :)), but I have done one in both Kato and Tomix C57, both of which have limited space to hide a decoder ;)

Thanks Bernard . You folks are great. Martijn Meerts

Years ago I was working for Revlon and had a computer installation in the Netherlands that I was responsible for.  Fell in love with the country and its people. Will try to find the the article by Marti

Depending on which part of the country you were in, it can be quite nice..  The part where I live isn't anything special really, but a bit further south from where I am the landscapes can be quite nice.

No problem... one of the fun things about working in N scale is the fact that it is small.  I will try to record for others how I make out.   Will keep everyone posted.

Most of my time I worked in Amsterdam but thanks to my Dutch friends and hosts, I got a chance to see a lot of the country.  Love to fly in and see all of the tulips fields from the air while they were in bloom. Great memories for great times and friends.

I've done a few Kato C11s, any of the smaller decoders, Digitrax DZ125, TCS Z2, etc fit easily in the coal bunker behind the cab. Same goes for the Micro Ace C11.

Thanks....    I will get my unit in the post tomorrow.   Looking forward to installing a DZ125 in this little beauty.   Thanks for the info as this will mean I can go straight to installing rather than looking around for a place to put it. 

Got the decoder installed and everything works fine (lights/motor).  Loco runs fine in forward or reverse except when backing into a turnout .Could be the light weight rear truck.  Will have to work on that.   Thanks to everyone for their replies. 

Got the decoder installed and everything works fine (lights/motor).  Loco runs fine in forward or reverse except when backing into a turnout .Could be the light weight rear truck.  Will have to work on that.   Thanks to everyone for their replies. 

Showsp - If possible could you share some photos of how you did the decoder install.....it would help other members in the future if they have to install a decoder in a C11.

• Like 1