Any JR depot open days?

bronzeonion

March and April rarely have any events, being the end/beginning of the fiscal year.  Typically open days are held later in the spring, continuing into summer (some big ones in July right when summer holidays begin), and peaking in frequency in the autumn.  I can't find any events in your time frame, other than a depot tour of an Odakyu facility March 27 (Oono General Rolling Stock Depot) that is restricted to 40 pairs of a parent and child, application by postcard and then by drawing.  Obviously they don't want solo railfans.

http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/7874_0460237_.pdf

• Like 1
March and April rarely have any events, being the end/beginning of the fiscal year.  Typically open days are held later in the spring, continuing into summer (some big ones in July right when summer holidays begin), and peaking in frequency in the autumn.  I can't find any events in your time frame, other than a depot tour of an Odakyu facility March 27 (Oono General Rolling Stock Depot) that is restricted to 40 pairs of a parent and child, application by postcard and then by drawing.  Obviously they don't want solo railfans.

http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/7874_0460237_.pdf

Thanks for the information Bikkuri, I may be going again in Autumn so maybe there will be one then. :)

YouTube contributor nimo5 has shown open houses at JR depots at both Hiroshima and Yonago (Shimane Prefecture) during the fall of 2012. As such, the best time to visit general public open houses at JR depots--if you're fluent in Japanese--is (arguably) during the fall.

Oh drats. That's just around the corner. I quickly need to adopt some kids for this, as there is still half an old Asagiri 20000 Type RSE in the shed there... D:

Oh drats. That's just around the corner. I quickly need to adopt some kids for this, as there is still half an old Asagiri 20000 Type RSE in the shed there... D:

Toni, not all is lost, in mid-October Odakyu has its "Family Tetsudo-ten" held at the Ebina Depot. This is a free general admission event.

last year's event info:

http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/data.info/7493_2555054_.pdf