The fax lives on, in Japan

cteno4

"OMG, Japan is in decline! Old people! They use faxes, for chrissakes! Those quaint orientals, behind the times"- the standard meme of the western MSM when it comes to Japan.  The comments following the article show more perspective and insight, I must say.  Another illustration of the sad state of "journalism" nowadays.

I think you can read what you want to into these kinds of articles. It is an interesting difference, i personally dont see it as backwards at all. It works, is simple and has a personal touch we loose in the automated systems. and when those automated systems go off line its total disaster here. i also like the idea of handwritten things still having some value in the culture. thats lost elsewhere all together. 

funny aside. i was looking for some commercial window film and trying to track down a distributor locally. searched high and low on the web and no luck, but called a few local firms that i thought might use the stuff but probably not sell it. finally found the name of a local company that probably carried it. i rang them up and told the guy what i wanted and asked if they would sell it directly and he very grumpily said use or website. I asked what the domain name was and he could not even tell it to me off hand for sure. he said in a complaining voice that i should be able to find that out myself (turns out you cant as the domain name is not near their company name and does not come up on a company name search!). He was totally disinterested in even trying to be nice and help make a sale even if i was to do it online eventually for the purchase. Ive found this to be the case with a lot of businesses now days. they are loosing the intuitive, human connection to their customers. not good.

jeff

Hi Jeff,

A friend of mine describes that as someone "who is in business in spite of themselves."

By the way, faxes and alive and well in U.S. doctors' offices. Call your doctor's office, and the recorded message will probably lead off with their fax number.

Rich K.