Very Early Morning Train Filler on NHK-1

gmat

Toni,

Now that you live in Tokyo, NHK usually has a filler program that they broadcast between station sign off at 3:00 AM and about 4:00 when regular programming resumes. Sometimes they have various 30 minute SL clips, there are a few local lines clips with pop music and there used to be a clip with chinese trains. One of the SL clips is on right now.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! I'm usually asleep then, because I have to get up at 6:00 and help my girlfriend get to work (I hope to help myself to work soon as well), so I need to preserve energy as much as possible at night. If I find out how to record programs, I'll record some for during the day when only boring stuff is on.

Toni,

The clips seem to be the same as the NHK train DVDs that you can buy at the Shibuya NHK Studio gift shop as well as in video shops and bookstores. I've seen the SL and the Chinese train DVDs, but have never seen the Local Lines ones. I think it is because the Local Line train clips have Western pop songs from the 70s and 80s and may not be released due to copyright problems. 

Ask your girlfriend to look out for train related shows on Channel 7, TV Tokyo. My wife hasn't told me about any shows on TV Tokyo recently, but some of their travel shows incorporated traveling on trains, and there used to be 'Above Japan' at 7:00 PM on Thursdays but that show ended. 

Sometimes the popular Mystery shows had a train theme a la 'Mystery on the Orient Express.' I remember one on Cassiopeia Train.

I'll ask my wife to keep an eye peeled for shows. 

I think that some of the train magazines might have a list of shows to be broadcast. 

Best wishes,

Grant

If your girlfriend has a BS receiver, TV Tokyo BS broadcasts 'Above Japan' AKA 'Kumojin' every Tuesday at 7:00 PM. Often they'll follow a train line from the sky and stop at interesting places. Worth a look. You can buy older shows as a DVD, too. 

Best wishes,

Grant

We don't have a BS receiver, but I do know about the show 'Tamori Club' with Tamori (Kazuyoshi Morita) who very often has items about railway related stuff in the 'Tamori Train Club' and 'Stardust Train Club'. I've already seen shows of him visiting Keikyu Railway Maintenance and one of the Tokyu Rolling Stock plants at a friends'.

We do receive BS, but it's not in our multimedia package, so we probably can't record and the shows (on NHK and some others) all have a message in the down left corner, displaying you have to pay extra for the channel. Anyway, I'll ask my girlfriend about this.

BS Fuji is running a railway history series every Saturday night at 11:30.  Each 30 minute episode covers a certain rolling stock type.  Tonight's featured type is the 80 series emu used on the Tokaido Line in the 1950's and 60's.  The series relies heavily on picture views rather than old film, and uses narration rather than interviews, so production quality is not as high as say a NHK documentary, but for those with Japanese language ability, some of the content is worthwhile, especially when the topic is a less well known type.

NHK has a new Local Trains late night filler. It's w/o the pop music. Watching it right now. Don't recognize the line. Single car aluminum with yellow over green stripe. JR West KiHa 120.

Next one is another single car line. Kyoto to Yamaguchi. A number of different models with different stripes.

Third one is in Hiroshima. Can't read the Kanji for the line. Sorry. White with red stripe on top and blue stripe on the bottom.

Next is the Onoda Line in Yamaguchi. Small single car in dark brown.

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by gmat

Grant, what you saw are the JR West KiHa 120's running on more rural lines in the Chūgoku (western Honshu) region of Japan. If you're a subcriber to YouTube user nimo5's videos, he's shown many KiHa 120 operations on the Geibi, Kisuki, Sanko, Inbi and Tsuyama lines.

Not really about morning fillers anymore, but it concerns train programs on Japanese television. I found this show currently airing on BS Fuji: Tetsudo Densetsu (Train Legend). http://www.bsfuji.tv/tetsudo_densetsu/

I found it because it was uploaded here: http://www.youtube.com/user/nozomi1969/

This video is the first part about the JNR 80 series, but I was surprised to see a Dutch Plan V EMU in the video at 3:26. Because my Japanese is very limited, I don't understand more than "オランダ". :P Is there someone who understands what they mean about the Dutch EMU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XMPhD8NgAs

bikkuri bahn

2 episodes of the local train series will be broadcast on NHK terrestrial (総合) early Sat. morning:

1) 3:13~3:43 Chubu/Kansai railways

2) 3:43~4:15 Chugoku/Shikoku railways

*a different program may be broadcast, it depends on the local network...

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1