Marine Liner front view video Takamatsu - Okayama

Densha

My favourite train, the Marine Liner. The video is from March 2011. It 's a very nice ride through Shikoku and along the Great Seto Bridge.

From Okayama to Takamatsu at night:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6451-jrw-marine-liner-okayama-to-takamatsu-at-night/

(To the manufacturer who is willing to produce the Marine Liner in N gauge: take my money)

• Like 2

Great videos, thanks for posting. What a beautiful ride that would be. Guess I too could part with my money if they came out with a set in N scale.

Microace has the licence for the Marine Liner but I am surprised that they have not produced the 3-car Shikoku 5000 set.  They produced 2 sets about 10 years ago, both versions of the 213 series.

Great videos, thanks for posting. What a beautiful ride that would be. Guess I too could part with my money if they came out with a set in N scale.

I can't remember having seen you before, so I'll say hi to you now. :)

Ahah! Densha's favourite train!

I presume these are the two?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10030252

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10030251

Yes, I would really like those sets but I like the currently used JR Shikoku 5000 series even more. Ochanomizu just mentioned that train too. Wikipedia has more pictures:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC

(if you take a good look you can see that there are different color patterns on the sides, I think the old Marine Liner cab also had such differences)

Hi Densha, I have been around, more active in Winter as I am in front of computer more. Don't post that often, but have learned a lot here. Currently modeling some trams. Thanks!

Excellent videos thanks. That is an amazing bridge. I dont envy the guys that have to paint all those girders.

Edited by Mr Frosty

I quite like the 2nd video, mostly the railway junctions part (or how do you call it) just before the bridge, where the railway lines are going up and down, left and right.

Speaking of this video, i was a bit surprised that the Uno Line that the Marine Liner travels on just south of Okayama is single-tracked! Considering all the passenger rail traffic that goes from Okayama to various points in Shikoku via the Great Seto Bridge, you'd think that would have double-tracked the line all way back in 1988 when the bridge first opened....

Edited by Sacto1985
Speaking of this video, i was a bit surprised that the Uno Line that the Marine Liner travels on just south of Okayama is single-tracked! Considering all the passenger rail traffic that goes from Okayama to various points in Shikoku via the Great Seto Bridge, you'd think that would have double-tracked the line all way back in 1988 when the bridge first opened....

Could have something to with what Bikkuri pointed out when I said the same thing about the San'in Line from Kyoto out to Kameoka or thereabouts--competition. Well, lack of competition. The tunnel sections are built double-tracked, so obviously they're thinking of it, but on the sections built on open land, ah we'll just do it later. Although later might mean development right up against the right of way. Could be the difference of costs at the time versus higher costs later but ridership levels that demand and can pay off the higher costs. I guess they know what they're doing.

If you take a look at the viaducts around some stations you can see that it's prepared for double track use. I don't know more about the details but that is what I noticed in the video.

I think one reason why it's still single-tracked just south of Okayama Station is the fact they haven't widened the track viaduct from the station over the San'yō Main Line tracks.to double-track configuration. If they had done that, it's likely the Uno Line section seen in this video would be all double-tracked by now.

Apparently the line has not been fully double tracked due to the expense of doing so.  Also, the prefectures involved have differing priorities with regard to funding such a project, with Kagawa Prefecture being more enthusiastic than Okayama Pref., though the work lies within Okayama.