JR East To Retire 200系 Shinkansen In March 2013

Yesterday (21st of December 2012) JR East released information regarding their March 2013 timetable revision.

With this timetable revision comes the announcement that the 200系 will be retired from regular service when the revision comes into effect.

All remaining 200系 schedules will be taken over by E2系 formations (I assume those will be E2系0番台 J formations (J1~J15)) in turn replaced by E5系 formations on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (as mentioned in the earlier thread about the January timetable revision). As the E2系 accelerates faster then the 200系, this in turn will help speed up the replaced schedules on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (the E2系 formations will be limited to 240km/h as far as I can see).

The remaining 200系 K formations will in all likelihood be kept as reserve for a short while (The last, non renewalled, 200系 formation F19 was kept on standby/holiday reserve for about a year, though I don't see this happening this time) , and JR East will probably host one, or a few, sayonara/arigatō runs similar to what happened with the 0系 and E1系.

I wanted to write a bit more on the subject and the 200系 in general, but I'm actually a bit at a loss of words right now (pathetic, I know). So I'll let the following (well done IMHO) PV video do the talking for me*:

Press release + Info (Japanese):

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121215.pdf

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200_news.html

* Interesting things to note in the video, among others, are the Cab and line side shots of one of the F90~F93 formations (275km/h), the birth of one of the H formations as well as the opening shots of the Tōhoku Shinkansen at Ōmiya (note the amount of cameras on the platform) in 1982/Shōwa 57.

-Sander

• Like 2

Sort of disappointing it will be replaced by an E2, those are one of the most boring Shinkansen designs.

While it's not possible to do special services during weekdays, wouldn't it be possible to keep some older series and do special services once a week at non-peak moments on quiet lines? I just can't understand that there wouldn't be any train path left for a slightly slower train on branch lines.

While it's sad that the 200 Series are being officially retired, these trains are getting up there in years and unlike conventional "express" trainsets that are limited to 130 km/h (81 mph) top speed, Shinkansen trainsets cruise at speeds often well above 200 km/h, which puts a lot of physical stress on the entire trainset, making them too expensive to undergo a major overhaul program like what has been done to the 381 Series EMU (which underwent a number of major overhauls some years ago and will likely run on a number of JR West express train routes probably till 2016 if not longer).

Indeed, expect the E1's to be scrapped pretty quickly now that they're out of service. I expect JR East to keep the E2 trainsets in service for many years, since they were in continuous production from 1995 to 2010. Expect E2's to be common sights on Tohoku, Joetsu and the (eventual) Hokuriku lines, though the E2's may be limited to Tokyo to Nagano service.

乾杯200系。私たちは一緒に悲しみに飲みましょう。

それはそう本当です。ありがとうございます、あなたは私たちの心の中に記憶されるだろう。

Yes it is sad to see the 200 series going to retire from revenue service. That would mean that there will be no bullet nosed trains in revenue service after March as every other trian has either the wedge nose or a duck-billed nose. So get your cameras ready if you are in Japan.

The 200系 was announced after the 100系, but entered service before the latter.  It was originally scheduled to be phased out between 1999 and 2002.

1999年 (平成11年)から2002年(平成14年)にかけて、E2系への置き換えと並行してK編成の一部(K21・K25・K26・K41 - K44・K46 - K49・K51編成)について10年程度の使用を考慮した延命工事を施工した。工事内容は下記の通り。
普通車座席をE4系と同等な回転可能なものに、グリーン車座席をE2系と同等なものに交換普通車座席が既に回転可能なものになっている場合、モケットの変更のみ実施

天井パネル・照明グローブ・腰板・床敷物などの内装を大きく変更[18]
客室妻部に情報案内装置を設置
窓ガラスのグリーンガラス化と窓キセがロールカーテン内蔵のFRP製に変更
便所が洋式・和式併設にされ、洗面所および便所手洗浄器をセンサー式に変更
運転台周りのガラスを滑らかな曲面形状のものに変更
台車枠および枠ばりをすべて新品に交換
信頼性維持のためプリント基板など劣化した電子部品の交換
車体塗装はE2系に良く似た「飛雲ホワイト」と「紫苑ブルー」のツートーンを基調に、境界部に「200系を表す」緑色の帯が入るカラーリングに変更
行先表示板を発光ダイオード使用のものに変更

なお、この工事実施による車両番号の変更は行われていない。

Funny to see that the 200 Series lasted much longer than 300 and 400 series.

And the 100系, E1系 and even the venerable 0系 (the 0系 formations as retired in 2008 (wR formations, R61~R68 sub class) where all 0系2000番台 (renewalled into 7000番台 by JR West) built between 1981 and 1986, at roughly the same time as the 200系 (1980~1985*),in fact the 0系2000番台 incorperated some of the features introduced on the 200系.

I think they were to be terminated in 2002, but in the late 1990's that was changed and they were refurbished.  I will find out the details.

It was originally scheduled to be phased out between 1999 and 2002.

They where originaly scheduled to be replaced by new E2系1000番台 formations from 2001 onwards, however financial and operational reassons (stagnating growth numbers IRCC) forced them to consider alternatives, which led to the renewal of 12 out of 22 K formations (out of a total of 66 active 200系 formations at that time, excluding the 21 G formations being retired at that point). That the K formations where chosen as opposed to the F formations, has everything to do with their opperational charactaristics (10 car verus 12 cars, All car specced to 1000番台 standards min (240km/h 25Kv roof cable) and the retractable coupler allowed continued services with 400系 and E3系0番台, all simmilar to the E2系1000番台). The formations chosen (K21, K25, K26, K41~K44, K46~K49 and K51) seem to have been chosen based uppon upcomming inspection dates and probably technical condition ( as far as I can analyze), it certainly provided for an odd, but interesting, mix of sub-formations.

Between 1997 and 2002 JR East retired most of the surviving 200系0番台 formations (formations that where exclusivly composed of 0番台 cars, former E formations), built between 1980 and 1982 they where simply approaching the end of their service live.

This process started in October 1997 with the withdrawel of formation G43, and by december 1999 the last G formation, G28 was retired.

The surviving reformed F formations (F30~F40, F61 , F90 and F91*, all former E formations, re-specced to F formations after the 1985 opening of the Ōmiya-Ueno section, and consequent increase to 240km/h max) where all retired between 2000 and 2002, starting with formation F30 (formerly E1, the first 200系 production formation) in December 2000, and ending with formation F40 (former formation E25) in August of 2002.

All remaining 200系0番台 cars where part of either the K21~K31 subgroup of K formation, or in all 6 of the H formations (H1~H6).

The remaining non-renewaled formations where to be retired between 2003 and 2006,with the bulk of retirements between 2004 and 2005. The reasson behind the accelerated retirement of non-renewaled formations, was JR East's desire to convert both the Tōhoku and the Jōetsu Shinkansen to DS-ATC, judging it to costly to convert the elderly 200系 formations to DS-ATC, it was decided to accelerate the retirement of all remaining "classic" cars. The renewalled formations, with the intent of a life extension of 10 years minimum, where refitted with DS-ATC in this period.

In March 2004 the last two F formations (F8 and F19) where officially retired, followed In august of 2005 by the last H formation (H5). the H formations had been shortened from 16 to 12 cars (losing their 248/249形 double deck cars) in 2004, after their exit from scheduled service (they where used for holliday/charter work for a year after this).

The last non-renewaled K formation, K31, was retired in Januari 2006, well after her sisters had left (first K formation was retired in March 2000) in November 2003. K31 was retained as a result of the tragic derailment of renewaled formation K25 on the 23rd of October 2004, as a result of the Chūetsu earthquake (K25 was almost on top the epicentre when the quaked struck, she derailed at ~200Km/h and got stuck in a (snow water) draining ditch between the tracks, no injuries fortunatly, but K25 was retired). So K31 was retained for some time, before a replacement E2系1000番台 (J69) was built.

Formation F19, while retired from scheduled service in 2004, was kept for charter/school work, as this set had been used as DS-ATC test train in 2002 she was able to extend her life beyond the conversion to DS-ATC, and was retired (with a small ceremony) on the 5th of November 2007, as the last classic 200系 to retire.

The 200系 was announced after the 100系, but entered service before the latter.

As far as I'm aware this isn't the case. The prototype 200系 formation (962形) was delivered in 1978, seven years before the 100系 prototype (X0 later X1) was delivered in 1985. With the first 200系 production formation being delivered in 1980 vs the 100系 pilot formations (X2~X7) in 1986 (I personally consider the real 100系 start with the first G formations, delivered in 1988, but I disgress).

The reasson for the numbering disparity, at least as far as I know, had everything to do with the nature of the Tōhoku/Jōetsu Shinkansen. As those Shinkansen where always to be serperated from the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen (practically Japan has 2 sepperate Shinkansen networks, as I'm sure you know :)), and required different equipment, with different demands placed on them. This also means that the two networks needed a sepperate fleet as well, so J.N.R. decided to split the numbering into even (East) and odd (West) numbers, with the newest Shinkansen, meant for the new Eastern Shinkansen taking the first available even number (200). For the Western Shinkansen this was slightly more complicated by the fact that the 0系 (which wasn't even named 0系 at that point), had been in service without official designation from the beginning. So the 0系, having no designation became the 0系 at that point, and for the series designed to eventually replace the 0系 was given the first available odd designation, this being 100.

This is as far as I'm aware at least.

Now is a good time to take 200系 for a trip to the snow.

I envy you, I would love to make another trip, but living roughly 10.000 km away prevents that, unfortunatly.

Anyway, enjoy the trip! (goes for everyone in the possition to do so)

The end of the 'bullet train'. :sad:

Yes it is sad to see the 200 series going to retire from revenue service. That would mean that there will be no bullet nosed trains in revenue service after March as every other trian has either the wedge nose or a duck-billed nose. So get your cameras ready if you are in Japan.

While I'm personally not a fan of the term "bullet-train", it is indeed a sad day to see the final days of the iconic nose shape pioneered 50 years ago. (though to be fair, the 200系 has a totally different shape then the 0系, including the nose. Though they are off course related to eachother, the 200系 is more of an evolution of this design, sitting right in the middle between the 0系 and the 100系 nose shape).

It's also sad to note that this is the final retirement of a Shinkansen designed (and build) during the J.N.R. era, and the final Shōwa era Shinkansen

In related news, the 16th of March 2013 will be the final day of 200系 service (the last day before the timetable revision), exactly 1 year after the joined retirement of the 100系/300系 (16th of March 2012) and 9 years after the retirement (from scheduled service) of the last 200系 F formation.

My appologies for the long text, hope its appreciated.

• Like 3

JR East has just aired a special website to commemorate the 200系 and it's place in history for both the company, and the region. (part of their ShinkansenYear2012 campaign, http://www.shinkansen-year2012.com/). There's some great pictures, information and future content on the site, I highly recommend a visit!

http://www.shinkansen-year2012.com/200kei/

Also, for those of our members who are, Japanese/living in Japan and still want to experience the 200系, January 26th will see a further reduction in scheduled 200系 services (as mentioned on this board before, which will reduce the amount of scheduled services to 5 up and 5 down services a day (excluding a few holiday services), will take some planning to still catch the old girl. :) 

-Sander

• Like 3

I really have to ask this question: how come the 200 Series lasted so long on the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen lines? You'd think they would have been replaced by the E2 Series about seven years ago....

A minor update;

With the January 26 timetable revision, and resulting influx of E2系 formations, remaining 200系 services on the Jōetsu Shinkansen have declined significantly.

As a result, formation K26 has been retired (and is/has been scrapped as we speak), bringing the number of 200系 formations down to 6.

This marks a (minor) historical note for the 200系, as K26 is the last of the K21~K31 sub formations to be retired.

In 1992, with the opening of the Yamagata Shinkansen, and the subsequent entry into service of the 400系, JR East formed eleven 8 car formations.

These formations where fitted with retractable couplers on the Morioka side (222形), reformed into 8 car formations with a single green car (215形)*  and 225形400番台 (460/480 and 490番台, all rebuild 237形 cars). These formations where numbered into the K1~K11 sub group, and all where former F formations (both new build (F1~F21) and reformed E formations), with formations K1~K6 having 1500番台 221/222形 cars and a mix of 0 and 1000番台 for the 225/225/215形 cars. K7~K11 where 0/1000番台 formations (K7 and K10) or full 0番台 formations (K8, K9 and K11) all had 0番台 221/222形 cars though. In 1997 with the opening of the Akita Shinkansen, and the extension of the Yamagata Shinkansen, the K formations where extended to 10 cars, all former F formation cars (1000番台), this also marked the renumbering of the original K formations to K21~K31. At the same time eleven extra K formations where formed, all former F formations (1000番台 and 1500/1000番台 mixes), these formations became the K41~K51 formations, bringing the total to twenty-two.

In 1999 JR East started the refurbishment of twelve of the twenty-two K formations. Of the K21~K31 group only three formations where selected (K21, K25 and K26), while of the K41~K51 group, only two formations where omitted (K45 and K50). The remaining non-renewed K formations where slowly retired in the early 2000's (as described by  my post above). K25 was officially retired in 2005 following her derailment, while K21 made it till January 2012 (2 months shy of her 30th birthday), and as mentioned K26 was retired on the 20th of January 2013.

I really have to ask this question: how come the 200 Series lasted so long on the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen lines? You'd think they would have been replaced by the E2 Series about seven years ago....

Well it was mostly related to financial and operationally reasons. I would love to expand on this but I'm really tired right now, so perhaps I'll tackle this subject at some later time (might look at finding some more information along the way as well :)).

-Sander

*the 200系, unlike the 0系, only had one type of green car, the 215形 (the 0系 had two types (from 1970 on) 15形 and 16形), so there has never been a 200系 formation with more then one green car (excluding the 1990's built 248形 and 249形 cras, for the H formations).

ps, my apologies for the lack of responses/topics lately, I've been following a four month course (Sea Faring Officer (merchant)) and all my time not spend at school I'm simply to tired to do much else.

I hope everyone understands :).

Edited by 200系
  • Like 3

Some further 200系 developments,

As a further result of the January 26th Timetable revision, the following changes where made:

Retirements:

-Formation K26 (as mentioned in my previous post)

-Formation K46

Rescheduling:

-Formation K42 (from active to reserve formation)

In Regular Service:

-formations: K41, K43, K47 and K51

All on the Jōetsu Shinkansen.

Further News:

-JR East has announced that there will be a couple of special 200系 runs (similar to the 0系 in 2008),  to commemorate the retirement of this remarkable series;

-On the 23rd of March a "Arigatō 200系 Shinkansen" Special train will travel between Ōmiya and Morioka (and back later at the day), marking a one of return on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (where the last 200系 was retired from in November 2011).

-On the 14th of April a "Sayōnara 200系 Shinkansen" special/event will be held, with a trip from Niigata to Tōkyō as well a final train from Ōmiya to Niigata.

This will mark the final farewell to the 200系.

-A competition was held to design the logo/wrapping for this final event, the design has to capture (as quoted) "the regret at parting"

Sources:

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200_news.html

http://www.jrniigata.co.jp/press/20130124sekibetsu-200kei.pdf

http://www.jr-sendai.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/press_20130129shinkansendanrin200kei.pdf

Edited by 200系
  • Like 1

Too bad they're not running the last 200 Series trainsets non-stop between Niigata and Tokyo like JR East does with the E4 trainsets on a once-a-day run. It would have been great to see the trainset zoom by Nagaoka, Echigo-Yuzawa, and Takasaki stations at just about full speed.

Since the end of February there have been a few changes for the 200:

Retirements:

Formations K41 and K42

In Regular Service:

Formations K43, K47 and K51

Services:

Last scheduled train announced: Toki 347, leaving Tōkyō at 20:12 JST, arriving at Niigata at 22:06 JST, March 15 (only 5 days left).

-Sander

Last scheduled train announced: Toki 347, leaving Tōkyō at 20:12 JST, arriving at Niigata at 22:06 JST, March 15 (only 5 days left).

The last one... I just don't know what I can say more about the fact that I will have never seen a "real" bullet train in service or been in one. If I ever visit Japan I hope I am able to ride the oldest Shinkansen in service now after the 200 series... the 500 series.

When I rode the Hikari Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto in 1985, there was only a single 100 Series trainset--the production prototype--running on the Tokaidō and San'yō Shinkansen lines in test service--all the trains were later-production 0 Series, which I remember was not the smoothest riding at the top speed of 210 km/h east of Nagoya. I also remember it had a separate car that sold snacks and drinks, something that was common on Shinkansen trainsets back then.

But getting back on topic,  :) I'm surprised the 200 Series trainsets have lasted this long considering that most Shinkansen trainsets are retired and scrapped at around 12-15 years of service life--you'd think they would have replaced them all with the E2 trainsets between 2000 and 2003.