Running 2 Single Kato Viaducts - Advice?

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

I'm thinking about having 2 single Kato viaduct tracks running around my layout. The reason for 2 is that they can be side-by-side but don't have to follow the same curve. Maybe like a paper clip. Also 2 singles means I can change the layout more easily...

I know that Kato bridges can be paired. Can single Kato viaduct track be paired?

Right now, I'd be happy with the track being paired but thought in the future I could use different lengths of track on the North-South side to vary the track distance on the East-West..  Maybe have a platform in the centre of the track on one side of the layout but not on the other..

I'm running a 3-car train where each car is about 10cm. The trains can negotiate a minimum 192mm radius. Anyone have experience similar.. Is there a safe radius curve to get?

I'm looking at maybe the Kato V2 set and buy matching track (more or less).

Finally, is there such a thing as a turnout on a viaduct?

Thanks in Advance!

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Bill...

That's pretty interesting!  I like the turnout mid-second picture. And the dual supports mid-first picture.. I've never thought about going Tomix but it might make for a more unique layout... I'm planning on having LRT on a loop around my tram layout.

So the LRT track will be a separate entity.

I'm planning to use Tomix tram track for a cargo/port yard as its ideal for that. But my main tram line(s) will be Kato Unitram - just waiting to see what is coming from Kato.

I like the idea of viaducts; but 2 singles instead of double track.

Is there single Tomix viaduct track?

And can you go from a double to 2 singles?

Finally, can 2 singles attach side-by-side?

Thanks again!

Rick

Is there single Tomix viaduct track?

And can you go from a double to 2 singles?

Finally, can 2 singles attach side-by-side?

Thanks again!

Rick

Yes, there is single track viaduct.  HS calls the single track Overhead track and the double track Viaduct track.  There are single curves and straights and the curves are tighter than the double track pairs.  I started with single track overhead track because my table was only 30 inches wide.

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=Tomix+overhead+track

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=Tomix+viaduct

I have a single track viaduct on my current layout.  There is a single track truss bridge and a small elevated station with a siding.

On an early layout I went from two viaduct tracks to a single overhead track with a turnout along side for a total of three viaduct tracks for a short stretch.  But I can`t find a photo of this feature.  :sad:

Two single track overhead pieces can be attached to most of the various overhead support piers. But they do not attach together.

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=Tomix+pier

Tomix also offers cross beams to support elevated track.

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=Tomix+cross+beam

Support beams on one of my early layouts.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Bill for taking the time to explain this...

Your layout photos are very cool!!

Yes, there is single track viaduct.  HS calls the single track Overhead track

That really helps because I could not find any single Viaduct track and I lent my Tomix catalog to a friend...

Like you, my space is limited but I think that a tram layout would dominate the centre of the table so I thought a viaduct would look great surrounding the urban core as long as it did not dominate the layout. To do this I though of raising the tram part on pink foam and then have the viaducts on the table itself so they are separate from the foam and maybe only slightly higher than the trams.

I thought that having a viaduct turnout would allow some shape other than an oval. Maybe separate 2 tracks after a station or even have different radii for 2 tracks. Maybe have 2 tracks side-by-side on the near side but a small distance apart and maybe a slight height variation difference on the far side..

Basically, I want an unique layout!

Thanks again

Rick

*I went to the Belleville show last minute and quite a lot of N scale there!

Hi Rick,

One idea I've always had is running those boxy small Kato 2-car trains (Chiba?) on single-track viaducts, so they look like a modern people-mover system.

Rich K.

Thanks Bill for taking the time to explain this...

Your layout photos are very cool!!

Yes, there is single track viaduct.  HS calls the single track Overhead track

That really helps because I could not find any single Viaduct track and I lent my Tomix catalog to a friend...

Like you, my space is limited but I think that a tram layout would dominate the centre of the table so I thought a viaduct would look great surrounding the urban core as long as it did not dominate the layout. To do this I though of raising the tram part on pink foam and then have the viaducts on the table itself so they are separate from the foam and maybe only slightly higher than the trams.

I thought that having a viaduct turnout would allow some shape other than an oval. Maybe separate 2 tracks after a station or even have different radii for 2 tracks. Maybe have 2 tracks side-by-side on the near side but a small distance apart and maybe a slight height variation difference on the far side..

Basically, I want an unique layout!

Thanks again

Rick

*I went to the Belleville show last minute and quite a lot of N scale there!

Your welcome and thanks, Rick.

Here is how my layout looks now.  No real changes other than a couple of tall buildings right at the back behind the track. The size is 60 x 30 inches. The elevated track is definitely not an oval!

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,6481.0.html

I was at the Belleville show for a short time last Saturday. Its a pretty good size show.  I found the turnout was low, at least when I was there. I bought a book but really wasn't in a spending mood.

Hobby Dreamer
One idea I've always had is running those boxy small Kato 2-car trains (Chiba?) on single-track viaducts, so they look like a modern people-mover system.

Funny, I had the same idea when I saw those trams!  Thanks Rich!

Thanks again Bill!

Looking at your photos again and your layout is more than cool !!  Makes me glad we're in N scale! You did a good job of shooting the tram under the viaduct! Its a good use of space!

Rick

Hi Rick!

I chose the Tomix overhead track system because it was alot more versatile than the Kato one, and also the viaduct station Tomix offered came in a complete set; i.e. 1 station entrance, 1 shop below station, supports, rails, platforms, plates etc. which in turn made it alot cheaper than Kato's system of 3 different components; the station entrance, the station proper, and the shop fronts to make a complete station, and the rails and platforms you have to purchase separately. Thanks to a great buddy who chuck the entire LARGE box back for me from Japan, i saved a ton on shipping! Please see the first attached picture for more info...

Also, i'm running Tomix double track viaduct system with support beams too, to span across my ground level Kato double track system to give some variety. I've also attached some more photos below for your reference.

In my personal opinion, i find the Tomix overehad system much easier to work with, and more versatile than the Kato one, but really it's your personal preference... Hoped that helped!

post-871-13569931594216_thumb.jpg

post-871-13569931595022_thumb.jpg

post-871-13569931595611_thumb.jpg

post-871-13569931596221_thumb.jpg

post-871-13569931596826_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks JR500!

I think Tomix had me at "turnout on a viaduct"!

I'd be 100% happy with Kato's viaducta but I have 3 LRTs that I thought would look good on the viaduct (2 singles) and then have the 3'rd LRT branch off to a rail yard (via the turnout). Having a turn out on the viaduct really opens things up in terms of breaking an oval.  (MY LRTs are DCC ready but that's a long way from now)

I'm still new to this hobby and want to design an unique layout my way - even though track geometry restricts us a lot. I'm going to focus on trams so we're restricted a lot on what we can do (especially since both Kato and Tomix still don't have too much variation).

So I don't want to be further restricted with viaducts and they are one thing I would not want to kit-bash.

I suppose one day I will use flex track but I love the quick 'n easy part of fixed track. And that you can change your mind or try another variation etc..

Another reason for me thinking Tomix is that their viaduct stuff is unique. I love the Kato viaduct station but its so common now.. I'm going to KB a station for my LRTs on one side of the track but having the Tomix station on the other is almost a certainty. And you can have a one track station, so that might be interesting.

My Kit Bash station will have the LRTs on one level, I'll sneak some track below for a future subway (no money no funny, right now), and link the station to 2 tram lines- one that is just below street level and another at street level.

I like what Bill did with his viaduct supports. It looks a bit "busy" without looking "noisy"; if that makes sense..  I don't want the LRT/viaduct line to dominate the layout - but having trams and LRTs means that you can milk the layout for more action!

The final reason for Tomix viaducts is that I think if I order shorty I can have a Merry Tomix Christmas courtesy of HS and EMS!

Thanks again guys!

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys,,

Is there a free track planning software that includes Tomix Viaduct track? I just need it to plan what to buy - nothing worse than being 2cm short of track!

(I don't care that its 3D etc.. just a basic tool)

Thanks again!

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks again Bill...

I think I will go Tomix for the viaduct as its unique track for me.

Although it might be nice to have the possibility of using tram track with train track I'm planning on Kato Unitram for its look and the turnout (as well as likely future track configurations) and I like the idea of separate track for trams and trains.

The single track viaduct turnout that Tomix makes offers a lot of potential. Anyway, its always good to explore things at the start of a hobby!

Rick