Keiyo Line breakdown disrupts service

bikkuri bahn

At about 8am this morning a 205 series train off the Musashino Line ex Fuchu Honmachi bound for Kaihin Makuhari lost power (0 volts were indicated on the voltage meter in the cab), stranding the passengers on an elevated stretch between stations. The 1500 passengers, after enduring two hours inside the stopped train, walked the approx. 1km to Futamata Shinmachi Station. This incident shut down the entire Keiyo Line from Tokyo to Soga, affecting 82000 passengers. The cause of the loss of power is being investigated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXMz9dFUUc

• Like 1

Maybe the train was not the cause, but it likely is if that is what happened. If the other trains still had power then it would be clear.

Oh my.. That certainly isn't good news for JR... But at least they handled the situation professionally, judging from the faces of those affected being interviewed..

If the other trains still had power then it would be clear.

Yes, the other trains running at the time had no problems, apparently.

*the latest news has the problem pinned on a blown fuse(s).  The fuses are located underneath car 2 and 6 (this was an eight car formation).  If the fuse blows underneath one car, the train will still be able to move.  However, inspection after the incident showed that fuses on both cars had melted. Apparently a visual inspection back in October as well as a general inspection on the 24th of this month had not detected any problems.

Evacuating a failed train is always fun.  :sad:

I'm surprised that they still use fuses, or was that just the news service getting the terminology confused?

Cheers,

Mark.

I have little knowledge of rolling stock electrical systems, but the 205 series is an older model, with chopper control and DC traction motors, I suppose this setup requires fuses.

Watch the 205 Series being phased out even faster--and better-condition trainsets still in service undergo severe mechanical and electrical inspections. Expect more orders for E233 trainsets as a result of this problem.

This was pretty bad, since I believe it happened on the Keiyō Line between Chiba and Tokyo, one of the busier commuter rail lines in the Tokyo area.

It is amazing that a broken down train in Japan makes news headlines but here in the UK it's just something that happens no big deal!

If fuses blew on two cars, then it seems like there was a problem on the input side. Could have been a problem with a pan or maybe a big spike or step in the line voltage. On busy lines with multiple trains in the electrical block, if for example one train suddenly goes from motoring at full power to emergency braking for whatever reason, you'll get a large and essentially instantaneous voltage step in the line. The trains closest by will get the biggest step. The propulsion systems, whether AC or DC chopper or cam, are designed to handle these, within reason of course. Once the steps/spikes go outside the design range, you've got the breakers and/or fuses to protect the cars. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened here. Given this, I wouldn't write off the 205's just yet.

• Like 2