JR Tokai takes wraps off new maglev

Martijn Meerts

As long as the model version uses magnetism I'm in .. Might end up being a somewhat expensive extension to the layout though =)

• Like 1

Wow! Nice! :laugh:

Now waiting for the N gauge model. :grin

and track  :grin

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this will be modeled.  Maybe some manufacturer will come up with some kind of magnetic track!

The only thing I can think of is a system like the Tomytec Moving Bus System/Faller Car System. The magnets could hold the train on it's place while tiny wheels you can't see underneath the model move it. That's not how it is in real, but honestly I don't think you can reproduce real magnetic levitation in N scale (without spending tons of money). :grin

I really wonder how it's like to be in a maglev train, if it's more like a high speed train with a lot of suspension or more like an airplane, or something completely else.

• Like 1

just use this one! then need the mag accelerators on the track to move it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qevN7FqiVyA

at one point i wondered if an air cushion system would work for a model like this. basically track like an air hockey table to levitate the train then a set of separate holes down the center that were at a 45 degree angle to blow it forward. would be hard to stop other than reduce the levitation air flow to stop it.

probably simpler as just the tomytec bus system with wheels in a trough track. could do a power strip on either side of the track with small wipers to pick up power/control from there. they could also be used to keep the cars centered in the trough (or have a small center rail to keep it centered. actually easier than a mono rail system to make. only issue are curves they would need to be ultra wide!

cheers

jeff

jeff

• Like 1

I can't judge it upon that picture taken from a weird angle. But I definitely don't like the blue stripe, it belongs under the windows.

• Like 1

i think these are a bit past the point of much of any free design being able to e done on them. at these speeds im sure its mostly designed by airflow in computer simulations for 99% of it. there is probably less flexibility in the form than you have with other fast things like jets. just a little probably around some of the final curve nuances and then the paint scheme. E5 and E6 have shown how the design is following the function totally now. efficiency is now the buzz, then tunnel booms, and im sure now with the mag lev speeds any micro turbulence issues are critical to avoid as well.

i think a lot of the flat lower area goes into the track trough and is not seen from what i have seen on the other mag lev prototypes.

jeff

The only thing I can think of is a system like the Tomytec Moving Bus System/Faller Car System. The magnets could hold the train on it's place while tiny wheels you can't see underneath the model move it. That's not how it is in real, but honestly I don't think you can reproduce real magnetic levitation in N scale (without spending tons of money). :grin

Actually I think JR Central Maglev uses tiny wheels for lower speeds, so it could be somehow slightly prototypical.

I like how there is only 4 windows on that first car...

WOW !

Way beyond my intelligence level for model trains - but if they make one I'll buy it - as long as I don't have to buy Liquid Nitrogen :grin  I think that could get a "little" messy, and I don't want to loose any train parts or digits!

It will be marvelous when it comes into service in 2027 between Nagoya and Shinagawa! But a pity we have to wait until then to say goodbye to the 94minute run between Shinagawa-Nagoya on the Tokaido line.

cheers...Eisenbahn

My disappointment in the color scheme of 700 series is expressed.

Yeah, I wonder when JR Tokai will have a new livery for their shinkansen rolling stock.

bronzeonion

I'm glad the livery hasn't changed from the blue and white. Whilst the Tohoku etc is colourful and full of variety the Tokaido etc really looks the real deal with its sharp and clean white and blue livery.

Martijn Meerts

At those speeds they pretty much have to design purely for reducing tunnel boom and keeping the thing on the track, and not visual appeal.

yep with trackway so close i bet every little curve creates some sort of vortex that causes issues.

jeff

I'm sure it is built on performance, but that doesn't mean that it isn't ugly.

I'm looking forward to videos of the tests in September though!