0 video 1980's -90s

Jcarlton

Interesting shots of 0 shinkanse,  1980's, and early '90's with E209's on the Yamanote Line, with some other fun stuff, ending with interior shots.

• Like 1

One of the most iconic scenes of Japan from the 1960's to late 1980's: a 0 Series Shinkansen trainset running at full speed in the foreground with Mt. Fuji with its snow-capped peak in the background.  :cool: This was often a 0 Series trainset crossing the truss bridge over the Fuji River west of Shinfuji Station. You see that a lot in old Japan National Tourist Organization (JNTO) posters.

• Like 1

Liked the scenes in Tokyo- 113 series in pure shonan colors (pre-double deck stainless green cars), and blue 103's on the Keihin Tohoku Line.  I remember the 103's were so common that I was bored to see or ride them-under acceleration they sounded humdrum, "nothing special, just like the 113's"- how the passage of time has changed that attitude!

Re. the Fujikawa Tekkyo (Fuji River Rlwy Bridge), here's an aerial view (second bridge going upriver):

*interestingly, the Fuji River designates the border of the 50Hz and 60Hz areas on the national power grid.

Great Video's!  After watching the first video - the Nazomi 500 video about development and pantograph design was Superb!  Wish I could understand the narration though :grin

Thanks for the video, Jcarlton. I've seen it before, but it's great to see it shared here, so thanks!

Judging by the details in this video it's a mix of late 80's early 90's footage, all post J.N.R. at least, with quite a few of the images being from the early 90's (0系 Yk formations, 100系 V formations with pantograph covers, the appearance of pantograph covers on some of the 0系 formations etc).

I've always been interested in this period of the Tōkaidō (and by extension the Sanyō) Shinkansen because of the changes to the 0系 in that period (the addition of pantograph covers, JR Tōkai extending their 12 car Sk formations to 16 car Yk formations, JR West forming their own formations etc), as well as the introduction and full delivery of the production batches of the 100系, the introduction of the 300系 prototype (and early production formations) and the still very large 0系 fleet made this an exiting period (it's no surprise much of the Japanese railfan the interest in the Shinkansen seems to have started in that period).

Now, going into full 0系 otaku mode, some of the things I observed:

- The first formation is a great example of a mixed 0系 formation, containing 1000番台 (the 21形/22形) 0番台 and 2000番台 cars.

- The first formation is a JR Tōkai Yk formation (only JR Tōkai had Yk formations), It's formation Yk90 to be precise.

- Yk90 was one of the formation to include a 25形4900番台 car, recognizable by the shorter passenger section as opposed to a regular 25形 (they where former 27形)

- It's interesting to see that pantograph arching can be seen, even from quite a distance.

- The 100系 seen passing is a JR West V formation, with the pantograph covers already placed (which happened some time after introduction) but still with all 6 pantographs still in place (two where later removed)

- The interior shots where shot in a 1000番台, most likely a 26形1000番台* (with exception of the 37形 buffet car which i couldn't determine, could be either a 1000 or 2000番台). this can be noted by the original 0番台 style interior** (the 2000番台 got a revised interior), small windows and the presence of an emergency escape hatch in the side of the car.

- The interior, while generally in good shape as far as I can see, does show some signs of heavy use, though this might not be that surprising taking age, in that time period, into consideration (the last 1000番台 26形 was build in 1980, the first in late 1976). During the rest of the 90's both Tōkai and West where slowly updating their 0系 cars interiors (which lead to some interesting mixes)

- Loved to see the original style movable back rest in action.

And as we are sharing 0系 clips, I wanted to share the following taken in 1985 at Shin-Ōsaka. Showing a nice mixed 0番台/1000番台 Nh formation arriving next to formation Sk13 (a mixed formation as well):

* if the car is the same as the one shown at the end, otherwise it could've been a 25形 as well.

** though the 1000番台 was arranged differently (coach vs seating bays) then the 0番台, hence the small windows lining up with the seats (though the cost of replacing/manufacturing the large picture windows was the main reason for the switch)

• Like 1
Interesting shots of 0 shinkanse,  1980's, and early '90's with E209's on the Yamanote Line, with some other fun stuff, ending with interior shots.

Thanks for this, I miss the old 0系 (glad I took the time to head down to Osaka to catch one of the last ones in 2008). BTW the Yamanote line trains were 205s, not 209s, which have never run on the Yamonote (though they did on the Keihin-Tohoku until fairly recently IIRC).