"Wrong way" street running?

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

The old C&NW used to run on the left side of any double-track, even though the US and North America are right-side drivers. They had just always run this way, dating back to before we all standardized. Likewise I am sure there are some other examples in the world, maybe in countries that switched recently (e.g. Sweden in 1967).

What I am curious about is if there is any street-running double track which is at odds with the local driving standard, e.g., trains on the left in US and Continental countries or trains on the right in the UK and the former Commonwealth. Specifically in the context of EMUs / trams / LRVs / etc.

maybe in countries that switched recently (e.g. Sweden in 1967).

It may not be the info you are looking for, but the tram network in Stockholm was completely abolished when Sweden changed from left to right traffic in 1967. It think it was because of the side of the doors. Recently some new lines have been constructed.

The train network in Sweden still is left, like Belgium and France.

If we're going in that direction, there are two(/three?) lines in the Netherlands where the trains run on the left. The conventional tracks from Roosendaal to Antwerp and the high speed line from Rotterdam to Antwerp run on the left. Then maybe there's a line in Limburg that is the same, but I'm not really sure.

But that's all because the trains in Belgium run on the left.

Single track street running on one side of the road (or centred) was very common on Belgian Vicinal Network until the end of classic trams in late '80.

This is probably why I love Manyosen and Tosa.

• Like 2