Four E2 trainsets to be transferred to Joetsu Shinkansen Line

bikkuri bahn

Effective Jan. 26 next year, four E2 trainsets will be begin operations on the Joetsu Shinkansen, replacing 200 series.  Currently seven 200 series trainsets are used on Toki and Tanigawa services, four of them will be replaced by the E2's. Continuing introduction of E5 series trainsets on the Tohoku Shinkansen have made the E2's redundant, allowing them to be cascaded to the Joetsu Shinkansen.

JRE press release:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121112.pdf

*looks like I have another trip to make on my new year's holiday, to slushy, grey sky Niigata!

*hat tip to quashlo at SSC for this

We could have expected something like this sooner or later. This means the 200 series will retire right? I was already prepared to know I was never going to be able to ride any of them.

There will be three 200 series trainsets remaining in service.  They will eventually be retired, when depends on the delivery schedule of the E5's to the Tohoku Shinkansen.

Thanks bikkuri bahn, interesting, though not the most welcome, news.

Johoku factory is carrying the news as well, along with some extra operational details (the section reading: 平成25年1月26日 in particular):

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/shinkansensiryo-r.html

Online translators make a mess of some of the text though (both Google and Excite), could anyone speaking/reading Japanese be so kind as to translate the following line?

・東京新幹線車両センターでの夜間滞泊の解消。今後は日中帯における留置のみとなる。

thanks in advance.

Effective Jan. 26 next year' date=' four E2 trainsets will be begin operations on the Joetsu Shinkansen[/quote']

I assume the displaced E2系 formations are all part of the E2系0番台 J formations (J1-J15)?

It's interesting to note that 15 years after their first introduction the E2系(0番台 if confirmed) J formations are finally doing what they where, among other things, developed for: replacing the 200系.

Currently seven 200 series trainsets are used on Toki and Tanigawa services' date=' four of them will be replaced by the E2's.[/quote']

Actually there are five K formations used on regular services and one on reserve standby. The remaining formation (K42) is reaching/has reached it's inspection date and will be retired/scrapped soon. So that makes 7 in total, though only 5(+1) in active duty.

When the January timetable revision is completed, this will be reduced to two scheduled "employments" as opposed to five today, now whether this means a 2(+1 reserve) formation roster or a simple reduction to two formations I'm not aware off.

Possibly the 2013 autumn timetable revision, if not sooner.

I think it's rather intriguing, how a late 70's design, build in the early 80's with the last full train delivered in early 1985 has outlived no less then 4 designs build after the last one left the factory floor! (100系 ,300系 ,400系 and E1系) though, obviously only a small part of the 200系 formations remaining, and with 2 of those series belonging to another operator, but still.

*looks like I have another trip to make on my new year's holiday, to slushy, grey sky Niigata!

Sounds like fun, I'm sure you're well aware, but the timetable is eerily devoid of 200系 services, especially as you'd miss out on the few Tanigawa services still run by 200系 formations.

I you're interested (and weren't already aware off) this section of Johoku Factory keeps an up to date (as far as I know, and can decipher) tab on current 200系 operational details, I'm sure someone like yourself can make good use of it.

http://www.kitanet.ne.jp/~joyfact/series200_news.html

The longer they stay in service the better

Speaking as someone who loves the series, I'd say 100% agreed. However with even the youngest, 1985 build cars (K51 Formation) at 27 years old, and the other formations* between 28 and 29 years of age, not to mention way past the 10 year life extension target set during renewal in 1999~2001. So no matter how well maintained and cared for they are (and they absolutely are) they are simply at the end of their shelf life unfortunately. I can imagine the cost to keep the old girl in top shape isn't exactly cheap either, though the reduced number of services must surely help in this aspect. Now don't get me wrong, if it where up to me she'd be running till the end of times, and I'll be very sad the day the final 200系 service departs, but I do think there has to be a line drawn somewhere in order to let her exit gracefully as opposed to the slow and drawn out death spiral she's going trough right now.

*K26 (1984),K41 (1983),K42 (1983),K43 (1983),K46 (1984) and K47 (1984)

I agree with that last paragraph. Although it kept them in service it was sad to see the reduced 0 and 100 sets relegated to the shinkansen equivalent of all stops commuter runs in their last years. Kind of like it must have been to see Southern Pacific's daylight GS4 4-8-4s living out their last days on San Francisco suburban runs.