Your Favourite JR Shinkansen ever!

JR 500系

Vote for your favourite JR Shinkansen ever!   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite JR Shinkansen ever!

• 0 series
    • 100 series
    • 200 series
    • 300 series
    • 400 series
    • 500 series
    • 700 series
    • N700 series
    • 800 series
    • E1 MAX
    • E2 Hayate/ Asama
    • E3 Komachi/ Tsubasa
    • E4 MAX
    • E5 Hayabusa/ Hayate
    • E6 (not-officially released yet)
    • 923 series Doctor Yellow
    • I'm a heretic and think shinkansen suck! =)

Hi all! I think this poll hasn't been posted before so...

Just for Fun!    :grin

Vote for your favourite shinkansen that JR (sorry non JR is not included in this poll, although i loved the Keisei Skyliner too) used to date!  

I've left out all the different liveries & services, like Kodama 8-car sets, or 100 Fresh green series, or even 700 Hikari Rail Star, as they are very much similar to their counterparts and would affect the overall poll. Please vote for them under their various series accordingly. (i.e. vote 100 series for 100 series Fresh Green, vote 700 series for Hikari Rail Star, vote N700 series for Kyushu N700 etc. )

Hoping to see the overall perference of shinksansens to date! Cheers & vote away!   :grin

*Let me get the ball rolling. Needless to say what i voted for!   :grin  *

* Please also let me know if there are series that i unintentionally left out, so that i may edit and include into the poll. Thanks! *

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I think we've had this poll before, but it was a while ago, and there's new shinkansen since then :)

I'm sticking with the 800 though. My first Japanese train was Kato's model of the 800, and the exterior colours as well as the interior have so much traditional Japan, it's a winner in my book.

(Colours of my homepage are heavily inspired by the 800 series as well :))

Davo Dentetsu

Well, need I go much further than to say the one that got the ball rolling will always win me over.  Three things said high speed rail to me as a kid 20 years ago.  HST, TGV and the bullet train.

E382BCE383ADE7B3BB3.JPG

That's a difficult one, never really thought of it. The 200 series maintains the charm of the 0 series while being a modern variant and having multiple color schemes, but the 300, 500 and (N)700 and are also very interesting. Why I'm not including any modern JR East series is because while I like them they are a bit too bright on the eye and extravagant. When I make up a decision I'll vote.

I went for the 100 because it perfected the classic lines of the 0 but after, that in my opinion at least, the designers must have started getting high on something.

I know this is probably tantamount to heresy but I didn't get into Japanese trains for the Shinkansens, they don't do much for me I'm afraid.  I like all the quirky smaller local or limited trains that run over there.

Okay you can shoot me now  :cheesy

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of the aggressive lines of the STAR21 952-1 experimental train, but since it was only an experimental train, I voted for the 200 Series. The front looks very like the 0 Series, but has more aggressive lines. I think aggressiveness really fit Shinkansen trains, because of their high speed.

320px-STAR21_952-1_Maibara_20060727.JPG

I know this is probably tantamount to heresy but I didn't get into Japanese trains for the Shinkansens, they don't do much for me I'm afraid.

In that case I'm a heretic too, Lawrence.  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I know this is probably tantamount to heresy but I didn't get into Japanese trains for the Shinkansens, they don't do much for me I'm afraid.

In that case I'm a heretic too, Lawrence.  :grin

I'm joining the club of heretics as well then.

• Like 1

I'm also an heretic and you can't ban me because without me this forum will auto-implode. :p

Repeat after me: I collect Japenese model trains* and I don't own a Shinkansen and don't plan to ever own one.

*Most of my roster is made of Kihas.

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Never say never ;)

When I started Japanese trains, I was planning on just buying a couple because they were so different... That worked out well ;)

I was actually more interested in Bavarian H0 and early era3 german Z at the time ;)

In that case I'm a heretic too, Lawrence.  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

i can understand the newer but come one 0 series FTW !!!!!! nothing can get more classic than that. It's like a steam train with turbo power and missing coal steam and several hundred other parts ....

I actually voted for the 800 series first one i travelled on i like it's looks. It would definately be equal with the 0 and just behind that would be the 200 less pointy nose variant.

• Like 2
i can understand the newer but come one 0 series FTW !!!!!! nothing can get more classic than that. It's like a steam train with turbo power and missing coal steam and several hundred other parts ....

Steam? Turbo? Yes please!

• Like 2

I'm becoming quite interested in Kihas myself. I'm about to repaint my MicroAce Kiha 40 in No.5 red - thanks to bikkuribahn - and I just bought another MicroAce Kiha 52 so I can run a coupled set. I've also got a Tramway Kiha 35 on order.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I'm becoming quite interested in Kihas myself. I'm about to repaint my MicroAce Kiha 40 in No.5 red - thanks to bikkuribahn - and I just bought another MicroAce Kiha 52 so I can run a coupled set. I've also got a Tramway Kiha 35 on order.

Cheers,

Mark.

very similar to my tastes there Mark,

Kiha and steam with me all the way. 

though i can't resist the older EMU's as well

i can understand the newer but come one 0 series FTW !!!!!!

nothing can get more classic than that.

I'd be the first to say that the 0 series were very impressive machines, and I don't dislike them, they just don't appeal to me the way more conventional EMUs do.

It's like a steam train with turbo power...

LOL! Interesting concept, and not so far from the truth. Most engines I've worked on have "turbo power" - gotta have electricity for the lights!

3936050251_6ffcd88610.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Steam? Turbo? Yes please!

That would be a very interesting loco to fire, I reckon. I'd imagine that with the continuous, relatively soft exhaust from the turbine you wouldn't have too many problems with the firebed being rolled or pulled apart, or getting holes in the fire.

In the last few seconds of the video you can see what looks like a little enclosed loco, which fascinates me. Anybody have any idea what it is?

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks guys for the voting! The results are getting interesting! Cant believe the 300 is on par with the 500 series!

Seems like the first bullet train is always the one that captures our hearts. Although my first true N gauge model is the Tomix 800 series Tsubame, i loved the 500 series ever since i laid eyes on it and has become the icon in my heart to represent high speedd train..

HHhmmm.. perhaps a poll can also be made for DMUs? I would like to do that, but i'm not that good at the DMUs section hence i might miss out on quite a few modesl...

I can do a poll on Express EMUs and commuter EMUs though...I think...

More polls?! Poor Aaron (Shashinka), you are stealing his job.  :grin

I think there is too much different EMUs (series and sub-series) for a poll to be thoroughly complete.

As for DMUs, if I'm drown to them it is also because of all the different color schemes and the match up of series you can do in one consist (if you are into JR's stock).

Martijn Meerts

The only thing wrong with this poll is that there is no voting options for us non believers  :grin

Fixed that for you ;)

• Like 1