Kintetsu Shimakaze ltd. express trainsets (50000 series) unveiled to media

bikkuri bahn

I'm surprised that JR Tokai hasn't thought about buying N700A Shinkansen trainsets with more luxurious interiors like we see with the new Shimakaze trainset, unless on the Tokaido Shinkansen line the emphasis is still packing in as many people as possible into the train.

The Tokaido Shinkansen serves a different market, adding luxury seating and compartments will reduce the potential seat revenue per square meter.

The Tokaido Shinkansen serves a different market, adding luxury seating and compartments will reduce the potential seat revenue per square meter.

Are the green cars usually full?

Given it is the most busy high-speed rail line in the world, small wonder why the emphasis on the Tokaido Shinkansen is speed, not luxury. And why I said they try to pack in as many seats as possible. Up until around 2000, trains on this line had a food service car (I remember buying a canned coffee in one going from Tokyo to Kyoto back in 1985), but today it's just all seating.

Still, I wonder is the Shimakaze train's emphasis on luxury designed to attract customers between Osaka and Nagoya that would normally ride the Shinkansen between the same two cities?