107系 To Be Replaced On Nikko Line [JR East]

On the 27th of September JR East announced that they will be replacing the 107系0番台 formations in use on the Nikko line (Utsunomiya-Nikko), with renewaled 205系 formations in march 2013.

http://rail.hobidas.com/news/info/article/133900.html

They will be 4 car formations, which seems a bit odd considering the current 107系 formations are 2 cars (2 formations coupled together most of the time, though single formations are not uncommon on less busy moments either), and this was one of the reasons, beside aging, why the 165系 3 car formations where retired in favor of the 107系, inflexibility.  

It also may seem a bit odd at first to replace late Shōwa/Early Heisei era equipment with equipment from a similar vintage, but taking into account that a number of parts (Trucks, traction motors, braking system and AC, if the Japanese Wikipedia page is correct) where actually re-used from scrapped 165系 (3 car formations, previously used on the Nikko Line) of much older vintage, I guess it makes a bit more sense. This also makes me wonder what will happen with the retired 107系 formations, though I fear the answer is they will simply be scrapped.

Personally I quite liked the 107系, while not that memorable they still felt a bit like J.N.R. era equipment to me (not that surprising considering the design is basically a mix of 165系, 105系 and 119系 influences), and provided a intersting contrast to the Tōhoku Shinkansen I used to get to Utsunomiya, will be sad to see them go.

• Like 1

I don't see anything unusual with the replacement of the 107's with the 205 series, as the 205 series are one generation newer, and are more energy efficient. The four car arrangement is easy to put together from surplus ex-commuter stock, just put two motor cars and two driving trailers together.  A two car unit would require the services of a driving trailer refitted as a driving motor (kumoha), increasing cost.

• Like 1

Too bad the 107 Series 0 Types have to go, but the renewaled 205 Series look good too. The renewed front looks like a 205 Series from the Keiyo line. Could it be that these are replacing the 107 Series?

The livery for the Tohoku line looks a bit odd, but I like it as well!