thinking about going here

keitaro

Rode on it last week with my visiting Mom and Aunt. It's crowded all of the time and if you can, try to ride the first train early in the morning (there were a few open seats) and if you want photos of the train approaching/leaving the terminus station, (Kameoka Station) you should plan on NOT taking the next train back but that means spending about an hour at that station until the next train. The train doesn't spend more than three or four minutes at Kameoka Station before returning to Saga-Arashiyama Station, so getting a shot of the train there is not easy, but the open country background might be better. Many other tourists are wanting to get a snap of themselves with the train, too.

The seats are reserved, so you don't have to worry about rushing to get a good seat. I didn't think to request a seat, but the ticket office gave us a seat on each side of the train going and returning and we rode in the enclosed going and then the open car returning. Seats on the right side (heading towards Kameoka) have a better view of the river and you can shoot the tourist river boats riding down the river if you're lucky. If it's in the winter, the open car could be quite cold and if it's a rainy day.... I don't know if you can request window seats, or being seating on a particular side, though.

After the ride, I waited until the train left and shot some photos of the departing train at Saga-Arashiyama Station. It stayed longer at that station than at the terminus.

You could take the rough water/river boat back but it takes about 2 hours, I think. Kameoka Station is pretty desolate so except for the scenery, there might not be much to do.

The train has two by two seating. Although the seats will probably be full, no one has to stand on the train unless they wish, so viewing/taking photos of scenery on the opposite side isn't hard. The train will stop briefly on the tracks at a few scenic spots along the way, usually on a bridge or where you have a nice view of the river. You can stand up to get a better photo and probably not bother the rider sitting next to you. I don't know what the seating arrangements will be when the line is very busy, though.

Most of my pictures are in my Aunt's camera as I shot photos for her of my Mom and Aunt.

My Mom later said that the ride was enjoyable.

Hope that this might be of some use.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2

Ahah! The Sagano Sightseeing train! Part of my initial plan to visit during my visit to Japan back in March this year, but eventually had to forgo due to time restraints... Really regret that and would be definately on my 'to-visit' list the next time i have the chance to go Japan again...

Here's a really nice video showing the Sagano sightseeing train ride! Now that's what a train bluff would love to see!