Battery EMU to be introduced on Karasuyama Line Spring 2014

bikkuri bahn

A branch line in Tochigi Prefecture.  Gmat and I went there on railfan trip earlier this year, we noticed the charging station/catenary at the Karasuyama terminus.

Concept drawing of EV-E301 trainset:

http://railf.jp/news/2012/11/06/190000.html

JRE press release, with explanatory diagrams of the system to be used:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121104.pdf

Are you able to figure out what distance the units can travel on batteries alone ?

Angus

Are you able to figure out what distance the units can travel on batteries alone ?

It's 20.4km of unelectrified line from Hoshakuji to Karasuyama.

Yes, I think he did. On an earlier trip I made on the line, the driver was kind enough to pose with the tablet in its holder- but my camera shutter froze due to a lens focus problem, I didn't get the shot :sad:

Nice! I think the sound of diesel will be missed by some on those lines, but also bring a lot more peace and quietness to the surroundings.

The front looks like an E233.

Almost every urban front design nowadays looks like any other... There are no crazy experiments like the Hokuso 7000 (like in my avatar) as far as I can recall. Meh, maybe I'm just in a grumpy/critique mood today when it comes down to design. :P

In my hometown Geneva I thing they are going to try this soon for the busses. They would charge at each stop via induction and work on batteries.

I think your eyes may be deceiving you :grin.  To be honest I don't know, the camera was quite close in some of those scenes, but it's difficult to tell if the panes are at different depths in the frame.

Sounds like a plan to me, reintroducing 'the window you can open' in trains. I've always thought it was stupid to waste energy on A/C while you can just simply open the window. Not to forget it feels good in summer.

• Like 2

Many trainsets that didn't originally have opening windows have been retrofitted with a few windows that slide open.  This is to provide fresh air in the case of power failure/train stoppage, and safety considerations don't allow passengers to exit the train at that moment.

Guest keio6000
The dead of summer is the one time you DON'T open the windows...

and that's the problem, isn't it?  no window opening, no debate.  i love the windows open in summer but then again i love tokyo at 40 degrees in summer, too.