Kintetsu 762mm lines- a Saturday visit

bikkuri bahn

With the talk of the Mie Pref. 762mm Kintetsu lines possibly being converted to BRT, I used a three day weekend to head down south to ride both the Utsube and Hachioji Lines, a task easily done with both being very short in length. Additionally, Kintetsu, in celebration of 100 years of operation of this route, is offering a one day pass for both lines for 440 yen (until 12/25).  The most interesting and architecturally worthy station is the junction at Hinaga.  The platform canopies have the traditional wood slatting reminiscent of British railway architecture- see the first two pictures.  Typically, meets occur at this station, allowing passenger transfers between the two lines. In the last two pictures, the train off the Hachioji Branch departs as the up train for Yokkaichi, while the down train from Yokkaichi heads for Utsube.

post-167-13569931290561_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569931296107_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569931325107_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569931327876_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bikkuri, was there any difference between this and 1067mm/1435mm that could be attributable to the gauge?  About how fast does it go?  Thanks for the pictures!

Bikkuri, was there any difference between this and 1067mm/1435mm that could be attributable to the gauge?  About how fast does it go?  Thanks for the pictures!

The rolling stock is narrow, for one.  Also, top speeds are low, perhaps under 50km/h.  Some ROW is very narrow, I wonder if it is feasible to build a BRT lane in such places.  Ominously for a local line like this, all new apartment buildings in the area have parking lots that take up as much land space as the buildings themselves, or even more.  Recent build single family homes two parking (sometimes three) spaces as a matter of course.  Mie Pref., like neighboring Aichi Pref., is very auto oriented.

Mie Pref., like neighboring Aichi Pref., is very auto oriented.

I wouldn't say completely auto-oriented. After all, the Shinto shrines at Ise are among the most visited in Japan, and both Kintetsu and JR Central have rail lines going to Ise that carries a fairly good amount of passenger traffic at certain times of the year. Mind you, it's not hard to figure out why Mie and Aichi Prefectures are very auto-oriented--the influence of Toyota, the arguably second-largest automobile manufacturer in the world, which is headquartered in Toyota City just east of Nagoya.

I recently went to ise I and my family were the only ones in the train lol

But yeah there was lots of auto use. Then again it's not as dense there as it is in other citys so the auto is the best form of transport.

The Kintetsu 1435mm services are safe, as they have the long distance and tourist traffic, in addition to local.  It's the marginal services that are vulnerable to motorization.  JR Tokai has a marginal local service (even one section is completely cut off, being in the hands of a third sector operator). Spend time at JR Yokkaichi or Matsuzaka Stations- they are pretty dead (though Yokkaichi has pretty darn good freight action- lol).  Kintetsu dominates, and its stations are where the people congregate.

With the talk of the Mie Pref. 762mm Kintetsu lines possibly being converted to BRT...

BB, how likely do you think this is? I ask because if it is going to happen, I want to see these lines again before they go.

All the best,

Mark.

Some ROW is very narrow, I wonder if it is feasible to build a BRT lane in such places.

A BRT using Hino Ponchos? :grin:lipssealed:

Cheers NB

With the talk of the Mie Pref. 762mm Kintetsu lines possibly being converted to BRT...

BB, how likely do you think this is? I ask because if it is going to happen, I want to see these lines again before they go.

All the best,

Mark.

That something will happen is definite- the line is currently running a deficit of 300 million yen annually.  Apparently the next step to be taken will be announced by summer of next year.

I'd like to see a trolleybus.  If we can't have this oddball 762mm track, let's have one of the oddest vehicles in the world.  A trolleybus.