Catalonia's Railway museum

Dani

Doh!!! we were in barcelona a couple of years back and i now remember in researching the trip i found this and had thought it a great day trip down the coast. i completely forgot about it until seeing this now! :BangHead:

would have been fun to visit, damn. next trip. loved barcelona and gaudi kept me well entertained in the few days we were there.

thanks for the review dani, looks to be a great museum to visit. loved that pile of locos, impressive.

jeff

Been thinking more and more that Catalonia should be the target of our family's next extended holiday…and now we have more reason! :D

it is quite beautiful and fun place to visit. wish we had done the coast more. gaudi stuff is something to really see in person, the guy had the lock on organic design. you can see all the examples of folks that tried to copy him later and how they pale in comparison. he was great working with his craftsmen to get them doing what he wanted and then let them go at it. unfortunately the sangrada familia is sort of turning into a total bastardization of his work and just going over the top. granted it was probably too huge an undertaking and bound to wind up going nutz even if he had directed it all! it was nice, but the subtly of his other small buildings and the park is wonderful, you can really drink it in.

jeff

it is quite beautiful and fun place to visit. wish we had done the coast more. gaudi stuff is something to really see in person, the guy had the lock on organic design. you can see all the examples of folks that tried to copy him later and how they pale in comparison. he was great working with his craftsmen to get them doing what he wanted and then let them go at it. unfortunately the sangrada familia is sort of turning into a total bastardization of his work and just going over the top. granted it was probably too huge an undertaking and bound to wind up going nutz even if he had directed it all! it was nice, but the subtly of his other small buildings and the park is wonderful, you can really drink it in.

jeff

If one takes an FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya) train to Manresa, then a bus into the mountains, one can reach La Pobla de Lillet high in the Pyrenees northwest of Barcelona and the source of the wealth which kept Gaudi busy - the former Cementos Asland plant (Asland was owned by the Guell family who sponsored much of Gaudi's work), now turned into a museum. Not only that but FGC relaid a section of the 60cm gauge railway which once carried coal, cement and limestone down to Guardiola de Bergueda and a connection with FGC's (now sadly long closed) Manresa - Guardiola line. Alas the reincarnation is diesel-powered but seems to be an interesting trip as it calls at a garden laid out by Gaudi, again at the behest of the Guells.

Cheers NB

If one takes an FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya) train to Manresa, then a bus into the mountains, one can reach La Pobla de Lillet high in the Pyrenees northwest of Barcelona and the source of the wealth which kept Gaudi busy - the former Cementos Asland plant (Asland was owned by the Guell family who sponsored much of Gaudi's work), now turned into a museum. Not only that but FGC relaid a section of the 60cm gauge railway which once carried coal, cement and limestone down to Guardiola de Bergueda and a connection with FGC's (now sadly long closed) Manresa - Guardiola line. Alas the reincarnation is diesel-powered but seems to be an interesting trip as it calls at a garden laid out by Gaudi, again at the behest of the Guells.

Cheers NB

Impressive knowledge of my my homeland and Catalonian perfectly written Nick!!!

I also suggest you to explore Salvador Dalí's legacy, as interesting as Gaudi's. You can reach Portlligat (Cadaqués) also by train (Barcelona-Cadaqués line, RENFE) and see his house-museum. It's one of the most beautiful fishermen's town in Catalonia, little white houses, wonderful hold, .... eat seafood or seafood paella for a great enjoyment. I can be your guide just for a free meal....  :angel5:  :grin :grin

Cheers,

Dani.

Cheers NB

Impressive knowledge of my my homeland and Catalonian perfectly written Nick!!!

I also suggest you to explore Salvador Dalí's legacy, as interesting as Gaudi's. You can reach Portlligat (Cadaqués) also by train (Barcelona-Cadaqués line, RENFE) and see his house-museum. It's one of the most beautiful fishermen's town in Catalonia, little white houses, wonderful hold, .... eat seafood or seafood paella for a great enjoyment. I can be your guide just for a free meal....  :angel5:  :grin :grin

Cheers,

Dani.

Well Dani, Google and Google Earth are your friends, these days you can find just about anything in the Internet - including the existence or not of a bus between Ripoll and La Pobla (no such luck, but good connections from Manresa...) from the comfort of my air-con office in the middle of drought-stricken northeastern Brazil. Of the FGC I knew before, having been to Barcelona (+ Ripoll - I remember the Alsthom B-B electrics stored under cover at the station - the Transpyrennees line and the "Petit Train Jaune" over the other side of the mountains) several years ago (had to ride part of the Catalans line* to get to Parc Güell), however it took two books ("Vapor de Via Estrecha en España" and "Narrow Gauge Railways in Spain") and a few Youtube films to come to grips with Manresa - Guardiola, Guardiola - La Pobla - Castellar d'en Hug ("the Güell's own railway") and the Asland-Güell-Gaudi connection.

Cheers NB

*= Not to be confused with the FGC; today part of the Metro system. The older Brill-built equipment made the Catalans look as if someone had crash-dropped the former Philadelphia & Western (minus Bullet Cars) onto the outskirts of Barcelona...

• Like 1