JR East Retires E1系 Shinkansen [2012-9-28]

Today, Another chapter in Shinkansen history has come to an end. After 18 years of service, and after transporting countless passengers, the E1系 was retired today by JR East.

JR East introduced the E1系 in 1994 in response to growing number of passengers using the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen to commute to the greater Tōkyō area, which was made easier by the opening of the Ueno-Tōkyō section in 1992.

Originally designated simply as DDS (Double Decks Shinkansen), this was soon changed to 'Max' or Multi-Amenity Express. The Amenity part referring to the availability of vending machines and other small amenities.

They where originally used on both the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen, but where fully relegated to the Jōetsu Shinkansen in 1999 when enough of the, then, new E4系 formations where delivered.

In 2003 they where slowly repainted from their original grey/green color scheme, to a renewal scheme that lasted till their retirement.

The E1系 introduced a few firsts for JR East:

-First Shinkansen to be numbered using the new E (East) numbering, as opposed to the JNR numbering (would have been the 600系)

-First JR East Shinkansen to use a VVVF (Variable Voltage Variable Frequency) propulsion package, in this case a GTO-VVVF system.

-First JR East double decks Shinkansen, and indeed the world's first double decks high speed train.

3 of the original 6 (M1~M6) formations survived until retirement, those being:

-M4 delivered on the 17th of October 1995, build by Hitachi

-M5 delivered on the 3th of November 1995, build by Kawasaki Heavy Industries

-M6 delivered on the 22nd of November 1995, build by Hitachi/Kawasaki

A few clips have been uploaded to Youtube already (more will certainly be uploaded in the upcoming days), so please enjoy!

The only shot I ever took of an E1系 formation (M5), last year, should've taken more...

5829455479_fbbe687286_b.jpg

Arigato Gozaimasu E1 Kei Shinkansen!

ありがとうございますE1系新幹線! (hope that translates right)

-Sander

• Like 1

In the two weeks I spent in Tokyo, fanning in 08, this was the one shinkansen I was not even close to getting a decent shot of, having only seen one, three platforms away. I wasn't much a fan of the E1 (or E4 for that matter). But it sure seems like we're losing a lot of Shinkansens pretty fast lately.

No special rides, no special stickers, ...

Wait, this is Japan right?

But it sure seems like we're losing a lot of Shinkansens pretty fast lately.

Since I got interested in Japanese trains, just a bit over a year ago, the 100系, 300系 and the E1系 were retired. Just in the few years before that the 0系 and 400系 as well. Considering that the 200k系 will be retiring next year (correct?), there's six series retiring in about 5 years. That's pretty sad. And who knows what's going to happen with the 500系?

I forgot to include some stuff I wanted in my OP, sorry for that.

No special rides,

If my information is correct, on the 27th of October there will be a special E1系 Jōetsu Shinkansen service, to commemorate both the E1系 as well as the start of the Jōetsu Shinkansen 30 year anniversary festivities.

info: http://www.shinkansen-year2012.com/pdf/20120912_shinkansen_niigata.pdf

no special stickers, ...

The remaining E1系 formations all got these commemorative stickers a month ago:

Shinkansen_E1_Max_Toki_logo_added.jpg

Wait, this is Japan right?

well, yes, but this is also JR East. JR East Shinkansen retirements are usually much smaller events then those of the other companies.

-Sander

I decided to take a look at wikipedia. It also mentions that special ride on 27 October indeed.

According to wikipedia those stickers were placed because "Toki" bird chicks were born or something...

Off-topic: look at the 3rd page of Sander's link, that large E6 model!

At the rate things are going, by 2016 we'll be down to these Shinkansen series trains:

E2 Series on the "all stop" trains between Tokyo and Nagano on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line

E5 Series on the Tohoku/Hokkaido Shinkansen Line

E6 Series on the Akita and Yamagata Shinkansen Lines

E7/W7 Series on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line

500 Series on the Sanyo Shinkansen Line on Kodama service, slowly being phased out

700 Series on the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen Line, though the oldest trainsets will be slowly phased out

N700 Series on the Tokaido/Sanyo/Kyushu Shinkansen Lines

800 Series on the Kyushu Sinkansen Line

At the rate things are going, by 2016 we'll be down to these Shinkansen series trains:

E2 Series on the "all stop" trains between Tokyo and Nagano on the Hokuriku Shinkansen Line

500 Series on the Sanyo Shinkansen Line on Kodama service, slowly being phased out

700 Series on the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen Line, though the oldest trainsets will be slowly phased out

Don't forget the N700A will be in service by then. I doubt the 500'kei will be around by then though. Not sure if the E2's will make it that long or not. Seems like every other day a new retirement plans comes out.

Don't forget the N700A will be in service by then. I doubt the 500'kei will be around by then though. Not sure if the E2's will make it that long or not. Seems like every other day a new retirement plans comes out.

Interesting thoughts, Shashinka.  At least six E2 sets will be around for quite some time, they're only 2 years old ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2_Series_Shinkansen ).  I don't follow it closely, but I thought the 500s were disliked, and for that reason I'm inclined to agree with you, but then JRW will hold on to equipment that works, so...  :grin.  Japanese Wiki says that a 3rd generation variable gauge test train is budgeted, it won't be a revenue train but maybe by 2016 it'll exist?

@Sacto1985

I thought the E6 would only replace the Komachi/Akita services and not Tsubasa/Yamagata?

@miyakoji

The variable gauge train was for a branch line in Kyushu if I'm right.

Btw, look at this render: bontetsu.exblog.jp/16886573/

And sorry for the even more off-topic.

500s was introduce 98 well i belive between 2016 - 2018 they retire

u guys forget the 700-7000 Rail Star delivery in 99 i think will be the same period 2016 - 2019 at max

Not really...

Having been delivered in August, the first N700A unit is currently undergoing commissioning and test running on the Tokaido Shinkansen. JR Central expects to take delivery of six sets during the current financial year and a further seven in fiscal 2013, replacing its oldest Series 700 trainsets which entered service from 1999.

From the railway gazette, http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/jr-central-unveils-n700a-high-speed-train.html

Replaciement of the first 700 Series is starting this year. I'm wondering more and more if this kind of production cycle is really worth it. 14 years of service is nothing.

Sad to see. i love the big old brutes. like the E4 i found them very impressive in person. the shear size of them when standing at the nose area is really amazing and the brutishness of the E1 nose and the snout of the E4 really feel different in person in 3D, full scale. the curves in full scale feel very nice, an attention to design detail the shinkansens are so know for. I know many find the models not so pretty, but thats the minds eye for you as after having seen it in person my mind always makes the models now look grand to me!

Got to do one ride on an E1. it was a very tight fit for my 6' 4" frame, the little stairs especially, but i grew up on boats, so felt very much like that. vending machines were nice treat in most cars.

jeff

one other cool thing i noticed with the E1 and E4 is that the large curves on the nose area had some wonderful polish/reflection/light effects that would go on that you did not see a lot of in other shinkansens. they may have had a heavier clear coat, or just the large surface curves, but very pretty. oooh bright shiny train!

jeff

I have a feeling every time a Shinkansen series retires, we are going through the same motions again...

Interesting thoughts, Shashinka.  At least six E2 sets will be around for quite some time, they're only 2 years old ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E2_Series_Shinkansen ).  I don't follow it closely, but I thought the 500s were disliked, and for that reason I'm inclined to agree with you, but then JRW will hold on to equipment that works, so...  :grin.  Japanese Wiki says that a 3rd generation variable gauge test train is budgeted, it won't be a revenue train but maybe by 2016 it'll exist?

The E2系 isn't going away anytime soon, While 1996/1999 build E2系0番台 formations (N and J1~J15) might come up for replacement between now and ~5 years (still a long time in Shinkansen terms), the twenty five E2系1000番台 formations will certainly make it till the next decade at least.

The E3系 isn't going anywhere either, yes the earliest E3系0番台 formations will (in all likelihood) be replaced by E6系 formations, but that still leaves the younger 1000番台 and 2000番台 formations.

Replaciement of the first 700 Series is starting this year. I'm wondering more and more if this kind of production cycle is really worth it. 14 years of service is nothing.

Retirement at 14 years is hardly unprecedented in the history of the Shinkansen' date=' in fact the very first batches of 0系0番台 Shinkansen where retired after 14 years of service. From the top of my head I can think of the following:

-0系2000番台 Cars, build between 1981 and 1986, many where scrapped in the 1990's, some barely 13 years old.

-100系 X formations, prototype build in 1985, main series build in 1986, retired in 2000 14~15 years of service (JR Tōkai)

-100系 G formations, build between 1988 and 1992, last retired in 2003. 11~15 years of service (JR Tōkai/West)

-100系 V formations, build between 1989 and 1992, last retired in 2002. 10~13 years of service (JR West)*

-200系 248形/249形 (double decks cars build for the H formations), build between 1990 and 1991. last retired in 2004. 13~14 years of service. (JR East)

-300系 J formations, quite a few of the remaining J formations where delivered in 1998, they where retired (again) after 14 years of service. (JR Tōkai)

-500系 W1 formation (first production set), build in 1996 retired in 2010, 14 years of service. (JR West)

-500系 W formations (surplus cars, not used in V formations) build between 1997 and 1998, retired in 2010 after 12~13 years of service. (JR West)

It's also worth mentioning, that JR Tōkai in general retires their Shinkansen at an earlier age then West and East.

*though surplus cars from both G and V formations where used to form the P and K formations, the majority was simply scrapped.

Sad to see. i love the big old brutes. like the E4 i found them very impressive in person. the shear size of them when standing at the nose area is really amazing and the brutishness of the E1 nose and the snout of the E4 really feel different in person in 3D' date=' full scale. the curves in full scale feel very nice, an attention to design detail the shinkansens are so know for. I know many find the models not so pretty, but thats the minds eye for you as after having seen it in person my mind always makes the models now look grand to me![/quote']

Can't agree more! I generally disliked the E4系 before I went to Japan, seeing them up close and in person however, as well as riding on an E4系 (fortunately on a reserved ticket, in one of the 'vestibule' areas so I missed out on the dreaded 3-3 layout) I have to say I gained some respect, and even admiration for the design. The E1系, while not my favorite,  is indeed a very impressive sight (sound as well), and perhaps the least glamorous looking of all Shinkansen (which is a plus, in my opinion).

Though I have to say I can usually find something to like in all the Shinkansen models, with perhaps the exception of the 800系.

-Sander

ps, I hope my post doesn't come across as too judgmental.

• Like 1

500s was introduce 98 well i belive between 2016 - 2018 they retire

u guys forget the 700-7000 Rail Star delivery in 99 i think will be the same period 2016 - 2019 at max

Except noted that the 500s were cut down to 8 cat sets are relegated to limited service between Osaka and Hakata. I'm sure it was not foreseen back in the 90's that the N700's would knock them out of preferential service. And considering that thye were and I think still would have been the fastest running of the all Shinaknsens, I would expect them to be outplace as soon as suitable replacements can be around. As stated above, the 500's were not well liked by mnt dept.

-0系2000番台 Cars, build between 1981 and 1986, many where scrapped in the 1990's, some barely 13 years old.

-100系 X formations, prototype build in 1985, main series build in 1986, retired in 2000 14~15 years of service (JR Tōkai)

-100系 G formations, build between 1988 and 1992, last retired in 2003. 11~15 years of service (JR Tōkai/West)

-100系 V formations, build between 1989 and 1992, last retired in 2002. 10~13 years of service (JR West)*

-200系 248形/249形 (double decks cars build for the H formations), build between 1990 and 1991. last retired in 2004. 13~14 years of service. (JR East)

-300系 J formations, quite a few of the remaining J formations where delivered in 1998, they where retired (again) after 14 years of service. (JR Tōkai)

-500系 W1 formation (first production set), build in 1996 retired in 2010, 14 years of service. (JR West)

-500系 W formations (surplus cars, not used in V formations) build between 1997 and 1998, retired in 2010 after 12~13 years of service. (JR West)

It's also worth mentioning, that JR Tōkai in general retires their Shinkansen at an earlier age then West and East.

Very interesting, and it's not surprising to me that JRC replaces them earlier.  Slightly different topic, but I'll be interested to see how they do major work on the Tokaido Shinkansen.  Some bridges have got to be due for serious refurbishment or replacement, and they won't wait for the Chuo Shinkansen.  I think I read on skyscrapercity that JRC had come up with some ways to close the line for much less time than had previously been thought necessary.  Maybe some "relay" 1067mm services?

As I've often observed when I made my first railfan trip to Japan in 1990 you saw

0 series on the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen

100 series on the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen

200 series on the Tohoku/Joetsu Shinkansen

And that's all folks.

So there's a lot more variety today (except on the Tokaido Shinkansen where you're back to only two types of train, and they look the same unless you see them up close) even if the trains don't have the classy looks of the old ones.

• Like 2

With the 27 and 28 October special services completed, the E1系 has faded into history.

Formation M4 had the honor of providing the final services.

some YT coverage of the final days (looks like I have trouble embedding the though ??? edit:Fixed):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwkFaB6d9k&feature=plcp

I do hope at least one car will be preserved, though the scrapping of the remaining formations is proceeding rather quickly (M5 is almost gone, and judging by the footage on Akihito327's Youtube channel, M6 is on the scrap line as well, which leaves M4 as the only formation left on property), so fingers crossed on that one.

200系, I thought you might be a bit interested to see this.  It's not exciting but set M4 was at Niigata Shinkansen Depot, and it was "online" for some reason.

• Like 1