Custom Unitrack-Replacing Flex Track

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Nov 11th update:

We ran the double track 2 weeks ago. Double track ran flawless and no issues with the custom track pieces.

Layout is now completely stripped of track except the mine flex track. We're going to replace the mountain next summer. Bigger loop. Hopefully find some Z Scale.

The dogbone upper track has been replaced with single Unitrack.

It's a real pain arguing with people about pre-planned gaps in modular track that's replacing flex track. The computer doesn't lie I say. When the radii don't mathematically don't add up then the track will bind.

Main lines were removed and plenty of drywall spackle added to smooth out the damaged homasote board. Then took the edge of the various length trowels (up to 16") and shaved the spackle to make it smooth. Like plowing snow. Its flat like an ice rink.

Then sprayed diluted water based brown paint onto the white spackle to show me the high spots. Sprayed again for a base color.

I'm very tempted to purchase a 3 foot sanding tool used by the Auto Body Tech for a flawlessly flat surface.

post-436-13569931427833_thumb.jpg

post-436-13569931428337_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

A quick tip about custom length Unitrack.

You can use the Kato 20-091 S29-S45 pieces to estimate the length you need.

Then cut a piece of straight track to cover that length.

I find it is better to have the longest rails than several rail gaps.

Use a razor saw to get the length you need and then cut slits in the track to shorten it rather than cutting off the end.

http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/tools-accessories/tools-accessories/Precision-Razor-Saw-Set.aspx

Adding several slits into a straight kinda acts as a flex track where there's a weird kink.

Use a hobby knife to trim edges.

Guest Closed Account 1

Has anyone used the Woodland Scenics Track Bed ST1475 with Kato Unitrack? 1/8 in x 1 1/4 in x 24 ft or 3 mm x 31mm x 7.31 M.

It's tempting to use under all the double track (2.5inches wide) and Passings and station (3mm sheets). Creates a slight slope into the yard.

I think it will provide a level enough surface over the fragile filets of drywall spackle.

Has anyone used the Woodland Scenics Track Bed ST1475 with Kato Unitrack? 1/8 in x 1 1/4 in x 24 ft or 3 mm x 31mm x 7.31 M.

I haven't used the strips of this, but I've used the sheet material (ST1432). I glue it down to the layout (insulation foam, plaster cloth or styrene) using liquid nails, then paint it using neutral gray artist's acrylic paint (NOT acrylic model paint), which is close the the same color as Unitrack.  This remains flexible when dry, so I'm still getting some of the sound deadening benefit, without looking at black.  In my viaduct station, I just cut the sheets to fit the six-track width and left them black, since most is covered by platforms and tracks (I also didn't glue that in place, since the platforms hold the sheet flat).

I'm quite happy with it. There are some photos on my page describing what I did.